Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Missing bridge worker family not happy with how search has been handled

Family members slam authorities for the way the search has been handled for a missing bridge worker

This is a sad story. A young man trying to provide for himself ends up plunging to his death, and he wasn't even instantly killed.

Best wishes to the family.

This is so tragic. Had this happened in the warmer months there would have been pleasure craft on the river to pluck him out. The family is wrong of course about continuing the search, but they are suffering greatly and we need to give them a lot of latitude here. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

I feel bad for the family but per the news the CoD actually extended their search beyond standard protocol.

I know the family is grieving but both the CoD and USCG's protocol indicates that after this preiod of time the search should be discontinued [[CoD actually went beyond their own and well beyong USCG in time of search). The city has limited resources and they can't look for the body indefinitely.

The situation is very sad but the protesters are wrong in their approach. If anything they should be picketing the company he was working for as they have a poor track record of safety.

Buy American Guest

My deepest sympathy and condolences go out to the family of Mr. Morton.

To blame the City of Detroit and the Detroit Police Department for discontinuing their search after 4 days is wrong. They did their very best and used every resource they had at their disposal to try to find Mr. Morton. Like Downriviera said, we should give the family some latitude because of the grief and frustration they are experiencing right now...and as jt1 posted, the family should be out in front of the company he was working for to find out how this accident could have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Yes, more blame needs to be placed on Detroit Police. I watched for 3 days on W Jefferson Ave by 21st street as Detroit Police guarded in squad cars the illegal fences blocking W Jefferson Ave instead of looking for this poor man that fell off the bridge.So yes, Detroit Police could have used those officers instead of guarding an illegal fence across a public street.TEAR DOWN THESE FENCES!!!
    Not all officers are trained to perform this type of search and rescue work. I agree they could and should be patrolling the streets but they would likely not be trained to perform the work needed to continue the search

Maroun and Stamper being in jail probably didn't help the cause...but I also agree...you have to give the family a break. It's a horrible tragedy, but everybody seemed to do all they could.

My dad had a cousin who was a member of the DPD and part of his job was retrieving bodies from the Detroit river. He died relatively young and a big factor to his failing health was that he had an alcohol problem. Word was that his job played a big part in his drinking problem.

I'm sure those people looking for the body are very dedicated and did the best they could. However the families reaction is certainly understandable.

Buy American Guest

The officers guarding the fence were "ordered" there by the commanders, they have no choice in the matter. Unfortunately, the low paid police officer/firefighter is the one who gets all the grief from the public because they are there and accessible. I suggest lodging your complaints to the right people at the CAY building.

I pray the find Mr. Morton soon.
    Last edited by Buy American; January-16-12 at 05:44 PM.

Occurrence Guest

Is there a reason why they were painting the bridge in the middle of winter? Reports say the man survived the fall and was seen trying to swim. It makes you wonder if he would of had better chances or survival in that water in the middle of summer.

In the early news reports they seemed to not be engaged in blaming the painting company, but that was then. Their position may change later...
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    ...If anything they should be picketing the company he was working for as they have a poor track record of safety.

Truthseeker, those police officers guarding the fence are not trained in water search or rescue. There are trained police officers assigned to Harbor Patrol and to the dive team. It is unfortunate that the police department is being blamed for not finding the body. The current is so strong that more than likely the man was well past the bob lo docks and nearing River rouge before anyone could do anything.

DC48080 Guest

I seriously doubt that DPD has a great contingent of officers guarding a fence.

You're awfully, and alarmingly, obsessed with that fence. I thought you and your white Ram 2500 truck were going to tear it down a week or so ago. What happened to that?