Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sharpton to Protest Mich. Emergency Takeover Law

From article: The Rev. Al Sharpton, U.S. Rep. John Conyers and others say they plan a demonstration outside Gov. Rick Snyder's gated community to protest what they say is a racially biased law that makes it easier for Michigan to take over financially struggling communities and school districts.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...r-law-20120116

Sharpton is a racist that whines and cries the race card for his own benefit to keep himself relevant, and does so to the detriment of blacks.

The takeover of Detroit's finances has nothing to do with race and everything to do with a city run into the ground by mismanagement, overspending, a fleeing populace, and gobs of union bloat.

I love it when people do things and claim it's what MLK would have done. Sharpton is most certainly nothing like MLK. MLK was for the people and equal rights. Sharpton is for himself.
    Last edited by Scottathew; January-16-12 at 08:22 AM.

HMMMN, I never saw him leading a march to Granholms house where much of this started [[EFM implementation). Oh, I forgot she's a dem and we take the medicine willingly when dolled out that way... and why is Conyer's involved on any level? What he could he possibly championing??
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-12 at 08:20 AM.

Just curious - Is there any indication of what most black Detroiters think of Sharpton? Do they see him as a professional demagogue or as someone who usually raises serious issues in an earnest manner. [[For the record, I am white and do not live in Michigan. I am a liberal democrat but have a hard time taking him seriously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Modusvivendi View Post
    Just curious - Is there any indication of what most black Detroiters think of Sharpton? Do they see him as a professional demagogue or as someone who usually raises serious issues in an earnest manner. [[For the record, I am white and do not live in Michigan. I am a liberal democrat but have a hard time taking him seriously.)
    I think it is a fair question but one statement causes a little concern: "Is there any indication of what most black Detroiters think of Sharpton?"

As with any group of people there are a number of opinions and I don't believe it is fair to assume that 'most' think the same of him. I know it is nit-picking but the perception of group think seems unfairly applied to the black community moreso than any other group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I think it is a fair question but one statement causes a little concern: "Is there any indication of what most black Detroiters think of Sharpton?"

As with any group of people there are a number of opinions and I don't believe it is fair to assume that 'most' think the same of him. I know it is nit-picking but the perception of group think seems unfairly applied to the black community moreso than any other group of people.
    Its a fair question -- given that we're debating what an idiot like Sharpton is preaching to the 'group'. Sharpton is creating / encouraging / supporting racial division by his actions. But that's what he really wants to do, as that's the source of any attention paid to him.

Ignore the idiot Sharpton.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; January-16-12 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarify

OK so I guess my question is this then...what is all the hate towards Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? is it becuase he doesnt put on a public display about the ills of the Black Community like Bill Cosby did when he came to Detroit a few years ago? Is it becuase none of what they fight for are legitimate concerns? When you look at the EFM laws in place and the areas where they are being directed at, considering that there have been other ways that the state could have and SHOULD have helped out the city in the past instead of pandering to the interests of Oakland County, really what does it look like to you? Granted I know yeah city government needs a major overhaul but does this mean that the citizens of the city have to pay that price of being disenfranchised? If you want call those out who HATE look no further than Engler to set the stage for alot of the financial crisises[[sp?) that are affecting this area, he ended revenue sharing for the region and the state of michigan still OWES the city of Detroit something like 200 million dollars.

Things like this are too convenient to forget yet somehow when someone as is often called a 'Black' leader comes in to get the state to take some act right then all of a sudden they are trouble makers and racists. The TRUE racists are the one who not only left the D, but also ACTIVELY did what ever they could the strangle the ligfe out of the city, economically, culturally, and politically. You think OC got to be as 'propserous' as it is in its own merits? teh vast majority of the businesses that call OC home now were once headquartered in the city.

When the state outright takes away our rights to vote for our own school board becuase of 'corruption' [[and yes some did exist but at least the district had a surplus) only to replace it with people the state put in place who did manage to turn said surplus into a severe deficit, what makes you think the EFM wont do the same thing? it is the exact same thing just over the entire city and not a department.

I ca already see the EFM having what basically amounts to nothing more than a fire sale where all of the city's assets he is going to seel to interests in Oakland County. I'll bet :L. Brooks Patterson is salivating at the thought of a state take over of the city. And his lard ass has done more to disenfranchise the city simply by his actions in OC. But the bobble heads call that 'playing to his base and looking out for his constituents'.

The issues of the city are wrongly attributed simply to the corruption of a few people in city government when it comes to a basic matter of simple mathematics. How does one take care of a city whose geographic size and infrastructure were built to hold in excess of 2 million people, when much of its tax base has left the city, much of the 'home owner' who own property in they city are absentee slumlords who dont even take care of their property, let alone pay taxes on them?
    How can the city provide the services that it needs to the remaining citizens then when they are scattered across that same area and they still have to take care of the roads, and sewer lines, and power lines, and other infrastructure? Remember those man made things didnt get up and leave. They still need to be maintained.

Now while some of the recent events have been exacerbated due to political idiots like Kwame and Bing, alot of the city's ills have been authored by Lansing and considering the racial makeup of OC and Detroit, why hasnt anyone screamed out "Our politicians are racist!"?

So no Al Sharpton is doing the same thing that he has been doing for the last 50 years. He is championing the rights of the very people in this country who have been through this before against this closeted form of disenfranchisement...
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; January-16-12 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Its a fair question -- given that we're debating what an idiot like Sharpton is preaching to the 'group'. Sharpton is creating / encouraging / supporting racial division by his actions. But that's what he really wants to do, as that's the source of any attention paid to him.

Ignore the idiot Sharpton.
    You missed the intent of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    OK so I guess my question is this then...what is all the hate towards Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? <snip>
    So no Al Sharpton is doing the same thing that he has been doing for the last 50 years. He is championing the rights of the very people in this country against this closeted form of disenfranchisement...
    I don't hate either. But they are both self-serving demagogues who do harm to the communities they support.

Did you read Mayor Nutter of Philly? http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ech-rich-lowry

Sharpton doesn't 'champion the rights' of anyone. He oppresses them.

I don't hate either. But they are both self-serving demagogues who do harm to the communities they support.

Did you read Mayor Nutter of Philly? http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ech-rich-lowry

Sharpton doesn't 'champion the rights' of anyone. He oppresses them.

That depends on how you view it and how much you know of which it appears you are allowing yourself to only know what you feel comfortable with....

You missed the intent of the question.
    Re-read, and am still missing the intent. I thought you were criticizing the grouping of people. I think Sharpton/Jackson/et. al. thrive on, and perpetuate grouping. What did I miss?

I was criticizing the implication of group think in the black community.

What Sharpton/Jackson do is very different. I'll make it easy here:

1. Jackson/Sharpton claim to speak for the black community
    2. Many people [[especially around here) assume the black community all think/vote the same.

There's no help if you can't see the massive differences in those two statements. One is claiming to speak on behalf of a group [[which is the claim of one) the other is assuming that a group of people think the same [[which is making an assumption about millions)

Well first off black people are not monolithic. We don't all think alike and I for one have a problem with someone being ascribe my leader!

But it is what it is and in broad strokes Sharpton has appointed himself as 'our' leader and where he can sign on to an area that a large percentage of black people are concerned with he gets involved - within HIS agenda - as some feel for his own interests. That is an area of debate here and elsewhere. My main problem with Sharpton and others like him is they tend to PICK and CHOOSE what makes them come to life ala coming forth [[coming to town) to protest.

Where are/ where they regarding the black on black crime and other crime that has this city in its grips? Is that ok...? The exploding teen violence? Are they [[he and Jackson) working with the existing organizations here in the city that need ongoing support? Where was he when Jenny [[Granholm) was putting in the infrastructures that he now decries? Oh it was fine then so long it had a democratic face?

I am not happy about seeing an EFM coming but it's been building up to this for a long time and I'm not sure what is occurring now [[protest) is any more than grand standing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modusvivendi View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-12 at 06:26 PM.

2. Many people [[especially around here) assume the black community all think/vote the same.

There's no help if you can't see the massive differences in those two statements. One is claiming to speak on behalf of a group [[which is the claim of one) the other is assuming that a group of people think the same [[which is making an assumption about millions)
    Ah, I get your point ... and you are right.

I quite agree -- and in fact I suspect that Sharpton/Jackson's support is much smaller than the media attention. But you know the media. Go for the easy story and easy answer -- bleeding if possible -- strife if not -- divisive a must.

The tide, in my lily-white opinion is changing, however. Can't happen soon enough. Urban American needs a lot of rethinking -- and less imposed support on the terms of the wealthy, thank you.

I didn't intend to suggest everyone in the black community thinks alike. That's why I asked what "most" black Detroiters think. Obviously, there is not going to be any sort of uniform opinion, but that doesn't mean there won't be a majority opinion. Still, I understand your concern in making your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well first off black people are not monolithic. We don't all think alike and I for one have a problem with someone being ascribe my leader, but it is what it is and in broad strokes Sharpton has appointed himself as 'our' leader and where he can sign on to an area that a large percentage of black people are concerned with he get involved - for his own agenda - for his own interests? That's an area of debate here and elsewhere. My problem with Sharpton and others like him is they tend to PICK and CHOOSE what makes them come to life ala coming forth [[coming to town) to protest.

Where are they [[Sharpton and Jackson) regarding the black on black crime, teen violence, children found murdered in abandoned houses, and other crime this city is in the grips of? Is that ok...? Are they working with the existing organizations here in the city that need ongoing support? Where was he when Jenny [[Granholm) was putting in the infrastructures that he now decries? Oh it was fine then so long it had a democratic face. I am not happy about seeing an EFM coming but it's been building up to this for a long time and I am not sure what is occurring now [[protest) is any more than grand standing.
    How old are you, Zacha341, if I may ask?

Is this a generational thing?

In a lot of areas, it seems to take a generation for change to take hold. See Arab Spring. See gay marriage. See inter-racial [[whatever that means) dating/marriage/family. See internet use.

ROTFL! Hah! I'm 12 years old... BTW that was a 'double post'. I have deleted it. Defer to the first one.......
    How old are you, Zacha341, if I may ask?

Is this a generational thing?

In a lot of areas, it seems to take a generation for change to take hold. See Arab Spring. See gay marriage. See inter-racial [[whatever that means) dating/marriage/family. See internet use.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-12 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ROTFL! Hah! I'm 12 years old... BTW that was a 'double post'. I have deleted it. Defer to the first one.......
    Glad I could bring joy so easily to a young-un!

It's sad I have to use this intro, especially on MLK Day but here goes: I'm a african-american Detroiter. With that said Sharpton, Jackson, or even Bill Cosby doesn't speak for any of us !

Now on to the matter at hand. The EFM law stands everything against I stand for as far as democracy is concerned. However, when you consider the drastic condition Detroit is in, I find it disappointing that a average of only 25% [[at best) of registered voters actually vote ! so if Sharpton wants to protest anything, protest the fact that so few people vote leaving the city with incompetent people to run the city !

I'm the Showstoppa, and I approved this message !

You're welcome WM! You're hardly dealing with a child ------
    Glad I could bring joy so easily to a young-un!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-12 at 08:38 PM.

Sharpton didn't bother to show up. Neither did Conyers. Nice commitment to the cause.

Well stated SS! No, they don't want to do that - too proactive. This the reactive scene!
    Quote Originally Posted by showstoppa View Post
    Now on to the matter at hand. The EFM law stands everything against I stand for as far as democracy is concerned. However, when you consider the drastic condition Detroit is in, I find it disappointing that a average of only 25% [[at best) of registered voters actually vote ! so if Sharpton wants to protest anything, protest the fact that so few people vote leaving the city with incompetent people to run the city !

Snyder was not at home per a report on the protest. I wonder if Jennifer Granholm would have been home perhaps with cookies and hot chocolate?

Protesters occupy Governor Rick Snyder's neighborhood

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/protest...s-neighborhood
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-12 at 11:30 PM.

Why would Al Sharpton need to get involved anyways? What does this have to do with him?

With attitudes and opinions like this, being that many of you will be the city's future leaders... Detroit is in real trouble!

Race play is never ending ON A BIG SCALE in this city.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast