Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Highland Park demo reveals ghost sign

I don't know about you guys but I thought this was awesome! The hardware store next door to the Highland Theater was just demolished, which revealed a ghost sign on the building to the south.

217 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

218 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

219 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

I love that kind of stuff. Thanks for posting.

Very cool. My Internet research shows cf grocery was a Detroit area grocery chain from the 1910s to 1950s. Hopefully this bit of history doesn't get lost/demolished like the building next door.

http://67.20.89.159/wrolandhamilton/...se-detroit-mi/

Nice pics! They used good paint back then...

Wow! Really cool pics. Who'da thought that sign would have been painted there. Thanks!

C. F. Smith had their grocery stores in nearly every neighborhood in Detroit in the thirties and forties. They also had a huge warehouse complex just off of W. Grand Boulevard north of Michigan.....up around Vinewood or so. The warehouse was already abandoned and vacant in the early 1960s when I worked at the Vernor precinct. Thought -- at that time -- what a shame it was for such a huge complex to be empty and beginning to fall apart. Little did I know that was the future for most of the city. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    C. F. Smith had their grocery stores in nearly every neighborhood in Detroit in the thirties and forties. ....
    My Ma remembers them!

Years ago there used to be a ghost sign on a building in Ferndale advertising oil with "Prewar Quality". I thought that was pretty cool. It was back in the '80's.

Default Some more ghost signs [[east side)

Van Dyke and Georgia to be exact.

074 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

071 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

075 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

GUSHI Guest

Nice very nice pics

Hey Zack: Wasn't the Faygo signage on Mt. Elliott? I've never seen that style of Faybo logo.

I remember that logo from my childhood. They may have changed the logo in the early '60s.

The old logo was used here.

That Faygo logo is almost pristine.

Stromberg2

Love those ghost signs!

is the last one Kowalski?

This signpainter appreciates the post.

How cool is that find?

The Faygo Orange is on MT. Elliot just north of the Conant split about 3 blocks north of the Outlaws Motorcycle encampment. The building is on the west side of Mt. Elliot and the sign can be seen as you are driving south.

I found it interesting how the graffiti artists chose not to touch the Faygo sign.

detroitjim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I found it interesting how the graffiti artists chose not to touch the Faygo sign.
    A closer look reveals that the graffiti was painted on the inside wall ,not over the ghost signage. When the structure is completely razed the remaining signs will be exposed.

Default Highland Park Murals

The New York Times, this morning, published an interesting essay about advertising murals that appeared in Highland Park after several buildings were demolished.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/23/us...nd Park&st=cse

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    The Faygo Orange is on MT. Elliot just north of the Conant split about 3 blocks north of the Outlaws Motorcycle encampment. The building is on the west side of Mt. Elliot and the sign can be seen as you are driving south.
    Thanks for the correction, it is infact Mt. Elliot and Georgia, not Van Dyke like I said.

Is there a website that has a collection of all of these ghost signs? I would imagine they'd be destroyed by graffitti artists or further demolitions, so it would at least be nice if they were preserved on the internet. Really interesting bits of history.

There was something similar over ten years ago in downtown Wyandotte at Biddle Avenue and Elm. They were revealed after the Cahalan Building burned down. They were soon covered up when Nanna's Kitchen was rebuilt.

Here it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast