Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The average seat at Michigan Stadium would be much more distant from the action than at Comerica. There's no comparison whatsoever.
    I guess the concept of UofM having the largest stadium in the USA is lost on him....

My cousins and I reserved our hotel rooms in Ann Arbor about a month ago when wind of this game first blew over the river. I'm just hoping the tickets are under $100 each! Also looking forward to the buzz downtown for the GLI and Alumni game.

Largest hockey game in the world

It will be interesting to see what special jerseys the NHL comes up with for the Wings and Leafs for this game. These two teams are steeped in tradition.

Hopefully they use logo's from the Original 6 era , I like these from the 1930's
    Detroit
    http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?...8mgeyh3d0i1sc7

Toronto

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=277

If its up to Gary Buttman , no telling what will be used .

Personally I'd like to see a Heritage Classic every few years between Canadian teams in Canada . We've been good caretakers of the game starting with 4 of the original 6 teams based in the U.S. , but it is Canada's game and should get some respect ... besides CBC's coverage is a whole lot better

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Someone from Toronto called into 97.1 and told them they were trying to get a hotel room for that weekend and downtown was completely booked solid.

On another note, I have a gigantic mental erection thinking about the prospective opening lineup for the alumni game......Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov. I'd might rather go to that game instead of the actual classic.
    Sadly, Stevie has been quoted that he will not be playing in the Alumni game.

This is flatout stupid, the Red Wings play in Detroit and while all the other stuff surrounding this game will be held at Comerica Park they are playing the actually Winter Classic game in Ann Arbor? Ann Arbor is not a part of Detroit and should not have this game, play the thing at Comerica Park like it should be. Every other city the Winter Classic has been played in has been played in the actual city that the team plays in. And Gary Bettman is a joke.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    This is flatout stupid, the Red Wings play in Detroit and while all the other stuff surrounding this game will be held at Comerica Park they are playing the actually Winter Classic game in Ann Arbor? Ann Arbor is not a part of Detroit and should not have this game, play the thing at Comerica Park like it should be. Every other city the Winter Classic has been played in has been played in the actual city that the team plays in. And Gary Bettman is a joke.
    They are called the Detroit Pistons, why do they play in Auburn Hills? I also saw a car commercial themed "Driving in the D", but they were using footage of the cars driving down roads that were obviously in the suburbs, not Detroit.

You can fit more people in Michigan Stadium, and Comerica park is a terrible place to watch a game.

I like how in some threads people say too much emphasis is put on the city boarders, insisting that we should look at this region as a whole. Now these same people are complaining that the game is in Ann Arbor and not "Detroit."

Well, at least both stadiums will now have new big screens which is how everyone will be watching the action anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    Bettman is a joke.

However, on the other opinions, I don't agree. Downtown Detroit is getting a lot of events out of this. I agree with bringing stuff downtown, but we can't be outraged every time an event doesn't happen downtown.

This is going to be an awesome, record setting event for hockey. This will be the NHL game with the largest attendance, ever, period. As a hockey fan, I'm geeked. As a Detroit cheerleader, I'm geeked that every other event surrounding this is happening in Downtown Detroit.

Name:  RedWings08.png
Views: 207
Size:  16.7 KB

I would like to see the Wings wear this old style white jersey.

Default Still not happy

Still not happy about the game being played in Ann Arbor.

Besides the side events, why not play a Wings regular season game downtown outdoors why the rink is set-up? It would not cost anything extra and would give the Wings fans who won't be travelling to Ann Arbor [[like me) a chance to experience an outdoor game.

The Winter Classic hosted by the Sabres was playes in Orchard Park, NY--not Buffalo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3