Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I also wonder from a butt in seats perspective if you will be able to sell 117k seats for this. Don't get me wrong, I understand how big the Red Wings and Leafs followings are... but many wings fans are also big time MSU and UM sports fans as well.

With that being said, there is likely to be a significant contingent of MSU & UM fans who would otherwise go to the Winter Classic who will be instead at or watching their respective teams' bowl game, likely being played that same day. I just wonder if there are enough sports fans to go around, and if not... will it be a game where it becomes 2/3 Leafs fans since they probably have no college football interest.

This should be a great event. Most Red Wings fans downriver would drive to A2, and I'm sure the NHL wouldn't let this happen without appeasing the Toronto and Detroit front offices. Ilitch would have to be down with an A2 game.

They will set a new attendance record for an outdoor hockey game, which is currently held by the Big Chill event [[college hockey) in Ann Arbor. Im sure Gary Bettman was butt hurt about this.

Ann Arbor is a huge hockey town, there are currently 11 NHL draftees on the Wolverines hockey team. The USA U-18 national team is also headquartered in Ann Arbor. Growing up there, all my friends were hockey fans, it's easily the second sport in town after U of M football. I don't think many in A2 who watch hockey arent big Red Wings fans. And Michigan Stadium is within walking distance of a bar district and within driving distance of pretty much every restaurant in Ann Arbor.

Interesting side note- the U of M hockey team just played their 4th outdoor game last night in Cleveland.[[Also played games in Madison, Lansing, and Ann Arbor) The Red Wings have played 1.

As for the downtown Detroit angle, someone suggested to me that the GLI would be held at CoPa next year anyways. Anyone know if this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I also wonder from a butt in seats perspective if you will be able to sell 117k seats for this. Don't get me wrong, I understand how big the Red Wings and Leafs followings are... but many wings fans are also big time MSU and UM sports fans as well.

With that being said, there is likely to be a significant contingent of MSU & UM fans who would otherwise go to the Winter Classic who will be instead at or watching their respective teams' bowl game, likely being played that same day. I just wonder if there are enough sports fans to go around, and if not... will it be a game where it becomes 2/3 Leafs fans since they probably have no college football interest.
    Keep in mind only 6 of the approximately 30 bowl games involving Division 1 schools are played on New Year's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Keep in mind only 6 of the approximately 30 bowl games involving Division 1 schools are played on New Year's Day.
    Yeah, but the Big Ten has five bowl games on New Year's Day itself and I think it's fair to say that both MSU and UM expect to be playing in January 1 bowl games next year. When MSU and UM play is really all that matters...and probably even moreso UM given that the NHL would probably hope Ann Arbor residents scoop up some tix.

The NHL pays the "Home" team the total anticipated revenue for a typical home game [[ticket sales, beer, merchandise, parking, etc) based on figures the home team gives. This is because the league is technically robbing them of a home game on the schedule, thus lost revenue. Having said that, this isn't really optional for Mike Illitch to say "Hey Gary, Comerica or bust" because the league will go "OK" and find another team to insert into the game. Teams are begging for this game. There won't be a problem getting someone else. Would it be better to have it in Detroit with the skyline as the backdrop? I think so. Would it be cool to set the all time attendance record for a US professional sporting event at the Big House? I think so too. Either way, enjoy it wherever it's at. It'll be the last one the Wings play in for a long time.

How much will tickets cost

And when will there be an announcement

I can't believe the divisiveness amongst regions in Southeast Michigan. It's so childish and old! Like someone said earlier, Detroit can't be or have everything. Detroit is the ONLY city in the country that people get upset if another nearby city gets an event or has something good happen.

Just remember, this goes both ways. As Detroiters are protesting and criticizing investment in other communities, other communities are saying the hell with Detroit. We as a region MUST support each other.

It's not childish, it's about $$ and the benefits that flow from the perceptions that come from an event like this. I really see no reason for the DETROIT Red Wings to host the biggest gate they're ever likely to have way the hell out in Ann Arbor. This takes money out of our pockets here in the city for an event that would be happening in a much wealthier city, while using our city's team as the centerpiece and main draw.

Now I have no problem if the U of M would like to try to make some money of their own by hosting yet another college hockey game in their stadium, but using Detroit's team to make AA and UM money just doesn't seem right. And even more so given the relative economic statuses of the two cities. I know the NHL is the real driver behind this, because Bettman wants to satisfy his big ego with the biggest gate ever and the league wants to grab as much $$ for themselves as possible, but this game involving a team that has played in DETROIT for nearly 80 years and is named for this city definitely belongs here in Comerica Park.

Hey Al-

Didn't Michigan vs. Michigan State play each other in Detroit? What are your thoughts on that?

SteveJ Guest

People need to chill and stop being a bunch of sensitive babies. The alumni game and Michigan vs Michigan state game will be played at Comerica Park. While the main game will obviously be played in AA. Its a win-win for both cities. I got no problem with AA making money. You can't complain about wanting everything to be regional and then bitch when Detroit doesn't get something but another regional city does.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Hey Al-

Didn't Michigan vs. Michigan State play each other in Detroit? What are your thoughts on that?
    Go State!! of course....

Does Ann Arbor really count as part of Detroit's "region"? I always think of it as a separate place, like Flint or Lansing. Of course, I can't say that I've been to Ann Arbor more than ten or so times in my entire life around here. And the times I've been there the thing that's most remarkable about it is that it seems like a different world from Detroit, and in many ways from the rest of Michigan.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-22-12 at 04:16 AM.

Why does nobody ever answer my question

Quote Originally Posted by kagazuda View Post
    You probbly hafta make a mean face and go; I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down for anyone to notice...

They just decided on a venue [[which hasn't even been announced yet) and you want to know how much the ticket prices are?

Because both of your questions don't have an answer yet. They typically make an announcement in the summertime at the venue. Ticket prices? Who knows.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It's not childish, it's about $$ and the benefits that flow from the perceptions that come from an event like this. I really see no reason for the DETROIT Red Wings to host the biggest gate they're ever likely to have way the hell out in Ann Arbor. This takes money out of our pockets here in the city for an event that would be happening in a much wealthier city, while using our city's team as the centerpiece and main draw.

Now I have no problem if the U of M would like to try to make some money of their own by hosting yet another college hockey game in their stadium, but using Detroit's team to make AA and UM money just doesn't seem right. And even more so given the relative economic statuses of the two cities. I know the NHL is the real driver behind this, because Bettman wants to satisfy his big ego with the biggest gate ever and the league wants to grab as much $$ for themselves as possible, but this game involving a team that has played in DETROIT for nearly 80 years and is named for this city definitely belongs here in Comerica Park.

Should the annual GLI be moved out of Detroit?

This will be the first time in the history of the big house that chants of Go Blue are inappropriate. Unless of course you're a Maple Laffs fan.

Occurrence Guest

Park.
    You must really be against the DETROIT Pistons, who siphon wealth out of Detroit by playing in Auborn Hills.

The announce will come today that the Wings vs Maple Leafs will be at the Big House w/beer for one day only , Wings vs Leafs Oldtimers will be at Comerica Park , the GLI will take place at Comerica Park , plus maybe a Whalers vs Windsor OHL game thrown in .

It's not childish, it's about $$ and the benefits that flow from the perceptions that come from an event like this.
    What $$$ and benefits flowed into Detroit due to perceptions that came from Super Bowl XL? Does the city get a cash payment based on Nielsen ratings or something?

The press conference is live right now and official, the Red Wings will host Maple Leafs in the Big House.

Alumini Showdown as well as other events will take place at Comerica Park.

Gary Bettman is estimating that events will bring 150,000 to 200,000 people into Downtown Detroit.

One negative about the game being Jan. 1 is that most downtown hotels would be full New Year's Eve anyway. You can expect higher rates I guess. I would imagine there will be a lot of bus packages from Toronto with people staying in Windsor also.

Comerica Park will feature;
    AHL Grand Rapids Griffins vs Toronto Marlies.
    NHL alumni game.
    Great Lakes Invitational.
    OHL Plymouth vs London & Saginaw vs Windsor

Someone from Toronto called into 97.1 and told them they were trying to get a hotel room for that weekend and downtown was completely booked solid.

On another note, I have a gigantic mental erection thinking about the prospective opening lineup for the alumni game......Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov. I'd might rather go to that game instead of the actual classic.

With all these other events happening at Copa, I'm pretty happy. Now give us next falls Michigan vs Ohio State game at Ford Field and we'll call it even.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast