Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default They have lawn services, but do they have snow contractors too?

I know there's lawn service people that you can pay weekly to keep your grass cut, but are there places you can contract to keep your snow shoveled? I know businesses have them but can residential homeowners get this type of service? I've never seen it advertised, and I just see my neighbors out there doing their own snow. I'd like someone to guarantee that they will come over whenever there's a lot of snow and clear out my driveway, early in the morning so I can get to work, just like they clear out the business parking lots. Is this possible?

Yes there are, and many lawn services also offer residential snow removal services as well. Just remember that it may not make a difference if your lawn service shows up a day late, but it makes a tremendous difference if your driveway doesn't get done in a timely manner. A good way to find a reliable snow removal service is to go with a company that is already providing services to a commercial account in your area. Look for places that see 24/7 traffic [[Fast food restaurants, Post Office, Etc). The contractors servicing these locations will be there early and often, and their trucks will most likely handle nearby residentials at the same time. Also make sure they have current liability insurance and multiple plow trucks available.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-13-12 at 09:38 PM.

It probably depends on your location. We use a service that plows the driveway and shovels the walk for us for a set price for the winter. They come early in the morning. Be careful choosing, because I had one company [[NorthStar) that never seemed to get to me until late in the evening when it was needed in the morning to get me out of my driveway. They even completely skipped me on Christmas Eve when we had about ten inches of snow and I had company coming for the afternoon. I fired them and went with the ones I use now, Big B's Handy Services.

Thanks for the info! I was worried about how to make it through the winter! Not that I haven't made it through many more, but as you get older, its not as easy to keep getting up all of that snow! I'm trying to get plans in place before it gets here. I'm afraid of those snow blowers, they look dangerous to me. I'd rather pay and let someone else handle the job.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Thanks for the info! I was worried about how to make it through the winter! Not that I haven't made it through many more, but as you get older, its not as easy to keep getting up all of that snow! I'm trying to get plans in place before it gets here. I'm afraid of those snow blowers, they look dangerous to me. I'd rather pay and let someone else handle the job.
    I don't know if they would be dangerous for you or not, but be certain that more folks have killed themselves via heart attack or triggered severe back-strain, from hand-shoveling snow when they were not in shape for doing so, than have hurt themselves with a snow-blower.
    All things considered, I am guessing that a snow-blower is about 700 times safer than a shovel.