Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default To the forum "In The Know's" and Photographers...

Aside from the Autoshow, would anyone happen to know of any upcoming events, or social gathering happening that would be photo worthy coming up?

The Dirty Show in Feb. But they're strict about cameras in there so you would probably need to make sure you get permission beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by tarynd85 View Post
    The Dirty Show in Feb. But they're strict about cameras in there so you would probably need to make sure you get permission beforehand
    Ok so at the risk of sounding not in the loop, but what exactly is the "Dirty Show"? Or is it what its name implies?

There are many events planned throughout the city on Monday [[MLK Day) that you might want to photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Ok so at the risk of sounding not in the loop, but what exactly is the "Dirty Show"? Or is it what its name implies?
    It's pretty much what the name implies. I have never been, but alway's have wanted too. I just don't think I have the right look or clothes, and now I think I'm too old, but I still want to go and I think my girl would have no problem going. I'll talk to her about it. lol I would love to hear from anyone on DYes who has gone. Here is the link: http://dirtydetroit.com/

It's an erotic art show. VERY diverse crowd. They'll be an old couple in a suit and skirt then another group in all latex. Very interesting as long as you have an open mind. The most "tame" and "comfortable day to go would be Valentines Day

You could go to the Clawson Scrambled Egg Festival, the Plymouth Ice Sculptures, the Bloomfield Hills Midget Toss, the New Car exhibit at the Henry Ford in Dearborn, the St Patrick;s Day Parade is only 2 months from now, the Algonac Salt Festival......

Quote Originally Posted by tarynd85 View Post
    Jerry isn't going to give permission to a camera unless he knows you, and you're shooting publicity shots for him.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    It's pretty much what the name implies. I have never been, but alway's have wanted too. I just don't think I have the right look or clothes, and now I think I'm too old, but I still want to go and I think my girl would have no problem going. I'll talk to her about it. lol I would love to hear from anyone on DYes who has gone. Here is the link: http://dirtydetroit.com/
    Go and enjoy yourself, and don't give a second thought to your concerns. Most people are dressed normally, only special folks wander around wearing leather strap ons.

Totally agree with the above Dirty Show comments. Laid back and diverse are the operative terms. Take an open mind and a date, and go during an afternoon if a large crowd or scene isn't your thing. The night crowds can find a line out the door, and in the cold that might suck. Park anywhere in Eastern Market. Take a little extra cash if you want a cocktail or four. Even the PBR costs $4. No cameras, although I'm not quite sure how Jerry is handling the cellphone/ smartphone thang.

Ravine Guest

Gosh, now I feel bad. Apparently, this "Jerry" is someone who we should all recognize by the mere sight of his first name, and I have no idea who the hell "Jerry" is.
    Unless, of course, he is not particularly well-known to anyone, outside of a small circle of geeks & hangers-on, and the idea is that I should be envious of those who are on such a first name basis with "Jerry."
    Or, perhaps the flagrant name-dropping is right in line with the theme of exhibitionism and Hey-Look-At-Me behavior.

Haha agreed ^^^ don't worry bout Jerry's kids. easiest thing to do would be to go to the website and come up with conclusions on your own

Continued thread-jack....

Jerry Vile has been providing entertainment to folks around here for decades, whether it be Fun Magazine, Orbit, or as editor the Metro Times. Way before The Onion, there was his laugh-out-loud and "oh no, he didn't" satirizing, parodying, and abusing anything or anyone that deserved it or not. Yeah, he got sued, yeah, he's got a mean streak but, man, is he shrewd organizer. The Magazine sponsored events he threw featured costume parties and bands, the adult-sized McDonald's playland ball-tank at the Fun/Orbit party at St. Andrews Hall sealed his legendary status. You don't have to know the guy to greet him and say thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtragedy View Post
    continued thread-jack....

Jerry vile has been providing entertainment to folks around here for decades, whether it be fun magazine, orbit, or as editor the metro times. Way before the onion, there was his laugh-out-loud and "oh no, he didn't" satirizing, parodying, and abusing anything or anyone that deserved it or not. Yeah, he got sued, yeah, he's got a mean streak but, man, is he shrewd organizer. The magazine sponsored events he threw featured costume parties and bands, the adult-sized mcdonald's playland ball-tank at the fun/orbit party at st. Andrews hall sealed his legendary status. You don't have to know the guy to greet him and say thanks.

word......

the Bloomfield Hills Midget Toss
    WHA?? Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    WHA?? Are you serious?
    I am seriously surprised that is the only one you find suspicious!

I WAS wondering about the "new car" exhibit at the Henry Ford but I know they do have ice sculptors in Plymouth I do believe and the others I had no clue about. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    I WAS wondering about the "new car" exhibit at the Henry Ford but I know they do have ice sculptors in Plymouth I do believe and the others I had no clue about. LOL
    I worked for The Henry Ford for four years [[ending last April) and it is essentially an overhaul of their Automobile in American Life exhibit, which debuted in 1987. It isn't completely done, I do know that, and their opening is a "soft" opening. It's a great place though, otherwise. Lots of events going on throughout the year, although more-so in the summer using their village venue. Check it out!