Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Failed ATM Heist Leaves Detroit CVS Damaged

The bad economy explains the increase in ATM smash and grabs - successful or not......

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...maged-20120113

Reminds me of Flip Wilson. The [[bad economy) made me do it.

Those ATM's are an invitation for people with a chain and pickup truck to go at it.

AAHHHH, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Those ATM's are an invitation for people with a chain and pickup truck to go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The bad economy explains the increase in ATM smash and grabs - successful or not......

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...maged-20120113
    It isnt the economy. It is the lack of an effective police force.

In December, guys armed with assault rifles tried to break into the CVS on West Vernor at Campbell Ave very early in the morning. They weren't successful. They did leave one of their vehicles and take the vehicle of the nightwatchman. That was the second attempt on that store in a month. Days later possibly the same guys with assault rifles shot in the air as they robbed a 24 hr. gas station at Livernois and I-94.

Maybe time for CVS to get rid of the ATM's. The little money they make from them isn't worth the aggravation of constantly having to replace doors and even walls.

Just wondering... How much money is in those ATM machines? Stocked full?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Just wondering... How much money is in those ATM machines? Stocked full?
    How the hell would we know?

On any given weekend before the economy tanked, where I worked, we would stock btw 35-75K in a "normal" atm, depending on the weekend [[events, holiday), depending on the branch. We usually stocked only 20s, and there was plenty of room to stock it with more.

As for the smaller atms you see at gas stations and drug stores [[which I never worked with), I think for security purposes they would probably not stock more than 10, and even that seems high. BTW, a stack of 20's [[used) wrapped into bundles of 100, about 6" wide, is 10k. Loose, as in a machine, it needs to be expanded enough so the "pickers" can easily "grab" a single bill at a time, it needs to expand to about 12".

I know -- I was being snarky [[smile)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    It isnt the economy. It is the lack of an effective police force.

Yes-Got that. Like me being 'observed' driving out of my driveway to go to work or the store is ALSO an invitation for my house to be broken into!!!!! ----
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-12 at 12:58 PM.

No worries. They are slowly eliminating those Bank of America America ATMs as 'episodes' such as this occur. They remain in the better areas or some suburbs.

Just one more amenity now 'unavailable' to the Detroit resident and shopper.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Maybe time for CVS to get rid of the ATM's. The little money they make from them isn't worth the aggravation of constantly having to replace doors and even walls.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-12 at 03:38 PM.

It's good thing that CVS put their ATMs further away. They do have security during the daytime and secret security at night. So next time so preps want to smash and grab, they have 25 seconds to steal something or get arrested.

On a similar subject: not only do you now have to go through security scanners before you can talk to the police in your neighborhood [[and only during daylight hours, at that) but now the banks in SW Detroit are moving to a "metered' entry in which only one person at a time is admitted through a door like an airlock while the person is being scanned for weapons: PNC on Vernor; Charter One on Michigan at Central.
    Such are the indignities that are being visited on all Detroiters because of the lawlessness of some.

Yep! It's insane which is why I do my banking outside of the city to avoid all of that, but that kind of security 'machinations' are turning up in the burbs banks where heists are jumping off too! I do direct deposit and what not to avoid going into any bank period!
    Such are the indignities that are being visited on all Detroiters because of the lawlessness of some.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-12 at 03:42 PM.

I wish there was capital punishment for crimes like these.

On a similar subject: not only do you now have to go through security scanners before you can talk to the police in your neighborhood [[and only during daylight hours, at that) but now the banks in SW Detroit are moving to a "metered' entry in which only one person at a time is admitted through a door like an airlock while the person is being scanned for weapons: PNC on Vernor; Charter One on Michigan at Central.
    Those airlocks have been around for a while. Definitely crazy. What I love are the banks with the separate vestibules for ATMs that are locked after 5, of course with no hours on the door, and you find out when you slide your card in multiple times. What the hell is the point? Just put the dam thing in the bank and get it over with. I'm talking to you, Chase.

How is that an indignity? The Gun detector at one of the banks you speak of enables the bank to avoid bullet proof class and the bankers can walk freely throughout the bank. At least that was the case the one time I was at that PNC branch.

It doesn't bother me one way or another since I don't spend much time in a bank. On the other hand, I would imagine the people who work there full time are quite happy with some of these safety measures.

I don't deny this sort of thing is probably worse in Detroit than surrounding suburbs, but just for perspective, they have had those airlock things in Europe for at least 10 years. In Italy I have gone into banks even in relatively small towns where that was a normal "door" for a bank.

At the Bank of America branch at 12 Mile near Northwestern in Southfield there is an armed guard with his gun in plain view standing outside the door at all times the bank is open.

In a nice area in San Jose Costa Rica where I rented a car at Avis 20 years ago, they had two armed guards patrolling the driveway during the daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    How the hell would we know?
    Ask and you shall receive. Thanks Hamtragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
    At the Bank of America branch at 12 Mile near Northwestern in Southfield there is an armed guard with his gun in plain view standing outside the door at all times the bank is open.
    In the past few weeks, I have notticed the same thing at several Bank of America branches. Both in the city and suburbs. 12 Mile & Woodward, 8 & Livernois, Mack & Woodward, 12 & Greenfield...just to name a few.

... so when do the suburban banks start having the metal detector gates like comerica has at their urban branches..

Actually, those have been around for a few years at some banks branches [[all in the city, never have seen doors like that in the suburbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ... so when do the suburban banks start having the metal detector gates like comerica has at their urban branches..
    Probablly when they get robbed a couple of times. Definitely if there is a Detroit style shoot em up.

All CVS has to do is move the ATMs to the back by the pharmacy. I hope they don't pull the ATM's out. Going into a CVS to use one is way safer than using the drive-ups like the ones at 8mile/Dequindre or Gratiot near Conner. And using them inside of CVS means I'm more likely to spend my money there.