Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unusual Number Of Dead Fish

There have been numerous dead fish, mostly bass, washing ashore along Lake St Clair the past several days. I counted 23 along a 150 foot beach area this morning, a day after the beach had been cleared.
    Have any boaters or fishermen from this forum noticed this?

Toxic algae by chance ? Lake St. Clair is a pretty shallow lake, and heats up fairly quick during the summer. It also has a sewage runoff problem.

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/water/clmp-toxicalgae.html

Blue-green algae can use sunlight more efficiently than most algae. Some of them contain pockets of gas allowing them to float on upper layers of the water and out-compete other algae for sunlight. In nutrient-rich lakes, blue-green algae can become so abundant that they completely dominate other free-floating algae. The whole appearance of the lake water can be changed by these large concentrations of algae. This conditions is called an algae bloom.

The lake water will become cloudy, with a green or blue-green cast or hue. It often develops a strong musty or earthy odor as the algae accumulate in large floating mats and begin to decompose. In extreme cases, surface scums of dead and decomposing algae may occur. Fish in the lake may develop a temporary earthy flavor. The lake is best described as having a look of pea soup at this stage.

These are the blooms that can occasionally become toxic. Toxic blue-green algae blooms are strongly influenced by the wind. Sometimes, the wind can completely dissipate a toxic bloom in just a short time [[hours) or longer [[a day or so). At other times, the wind increases the danger of a toxic bloom by concentrating [[windrowing) the floating algae mats toward the downwind shore of a lake.

interesting, but I'd expect that to occur a bit later in the summer, especially as its been fairly cool so far.

sounds gross, but I hope it clears up soon as I'm taking an out of towner down to the lakeshore soon.

Retroit Guest

I heard about this on WJR this morning. The very next thing was a Pure Michigan commercial with Tim Allen extolling the cleanliness of the Great Lakes. Ooops!

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Fish in the lake may develop a temporary earthy flavor.
    People actually eat fish out of Lake St. Clair?

Bass are spawning this time of year in St. Clair. During the spawn they are overly stressed and die offs are not uncommon.

Thanks a lot St. Clair Shores for duping your fecal matter to Lake St. Clair and killing all the fish

LOL Danny you are something else... Cut it out St Claire shores.

What are they feeding those people ?

Ravine Guest

Probably feeding them fish from the Detroit River.

Retroit Guest

Danny isn't too far off actually, although St. Clair Shores isn't solely to blame. E. Coli levels have already been so high that Metro Beach and 2 beaches in St. Clair Shores have already had to close this year [[ http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...357/1409/METRO ). I think more of the blame is on the homes along the Clinton River, many of which discharge their raw sewage directly in the river. Municipalities also send overflow sewage into the lake. Efforts are being made to reduce this with retention basins.

The local Indians of Walpole Island, fish the lakes including Lake St Clair with gill nets.
    They only keep the walleye, perch and other eatable fish that can be sold to fish markets.
    When they haul the nets in they discard the non eatable fish back to the lake, if the fish have been in the nets for an extended time they die.

http://www.1836cora.org/tribalfishery.html

Attachment 1639
    Last edited by FlyByDon; September-21-09 at 08:49 AM.

Quote: "I think more of the blame is on the homes along the Clinton River, many of which discharge their raw sewage directly in the river."

I know they do this and it's happening in many lakes. One has to ask, How can they be doing it in this day and age? All these little lakes up north with their cluster-F of ratty little cottages choking the shoreline. IF they have a septic system, their sewage still leeches into the water, all the fertilizers and pesticides they use. Why is this being allowed? Why isn't the EPA, USDA and DNR up in arms about it? If they caught a boater doing the very same thing, he'd wind up in a load of trouble. Boats used to dump raw sewage, they all have holding tanks now. I was talking with a fellow from Europe once and he mentioned the very same thing. They don't allow building homes or cottages in such concentrations on lakes or waterways there in most areas. The lakes and rivers are for the scenic enjoyment of everyone. And they should be preserved like any other natural resource.

"...E. Coli levels have already been so high that Metro Beach and 2 beaches in St. Clair Shores have already had to close this year..."

It is true that pollution results from septic systems and illegal sewer hookups.

However, much of the E. Coli problem results from the high number of Canada Geese that concentrate on the beach areas.
    It is amazing that they were considered near extinction in the late 1950s, partially due to DDT. Their heavy concentration on beach areas leads to tons of "fertilizer" being deposited.
    In a natural ecosystem, their numbers would be greatly reduced by predators, and they would be spread out around the shore, rather than bottlenecked to beach areas.

Danny, if they all simultaneously stop...you will soon merely accuse them [[rightfully) of being full of shit.

No way they can win.

detmich Guest

Have you all been taken in or are you blind to the reality? Here it is, whether you wish to see the truth or not-

The Georgia Guidestones hold the answer!

Retroit Guest

Very true, Bobl, about the Canadian Geese. There are only 2 solutions for them though:
    1. Potty train them, or
    2. Shoot them
    Last edited by Retroit; June-10-09 at 12:35 PM.

Fish die of viruses frequently. They catch bacteria and viruses just like humans do.

Retroit Guest

I wonder if anyone has ever tried keeping the Canadian Geese from shitting on a beach by training a dog[[s) to chase them away?

I heard on AM950 today that the government is considerating a program to kill some of the Canada Geese. I'm wondering if they would be edible. Maybe we could help feed the hungry?

Evil Charter Schools of fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I heard on AM950 today that the government is considerating a program to kill some of the Canada Geese. I'm wondering if they would be edible. Maybe we could help feed the hungry?

Not only are they edible, but they're pretty damn good! The problem is the fed's have a tight control of the seasons and won't allow significant harvest of problem birds.

Canada geese are delicious and make wonderful jerky. I almost like it better than beef or turkey jerky.

Lorax Guest

Collect the dead fish and dump them on Matted Moron's lawn. Should send the right message.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast