Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ohio Upholds decision for 'White's Only' signage...

Actually the headline in the paper was written incorrectly. The city council actually upheld a vote that the sign was unconstitutional. Sad that anyone would post a sign like that though.

Looks like segregation is coming back. It's not yet DEAD, but infused into the minds of human history. We need to prevent from repeating it.

SO it was the media that got that backwards then...

The AP got it right. You have to read and comprehend the story and not just look at the headline.

"...The Ohio Civil Rights Commission voted 4-0 against reconsidering its finding from last fall. There was no discussion.
    The group found on Sept. 29 that Jamie Hein, who is white, violated the Ohio Civil Rights Act by posting the sign at a pool ..."

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    The AP got it right. You have to read and comprehend the story and not just look at the headline.

"...The Ohio Civil Rights Commission voted 4-0 against reconsidering its finding from last fall. There was no discussion.
    The group found on Sept. 29 that Jamie Hein, who is white, violated the Ohio Civil Rights Act by posting the sign at a pool ..."
    Except that the headline is deceptive in sounding like the state was upholding the right to display the sign. They aren't.

It should read, "Ohio Upholds Decision That 'Whites Only' Signage is Un-Constitutional"

That would be a very long headline. The story was written for a local audience familiar with it and taken up by the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    That would be a very long headline. The story was written for a local audience familiar with it and taken up by the AP.
    This is their headline on the same story as of 4:56PM.

Ohio panel sticks to 'White Only' pool sign ruling

Maxx, I'm a newspaper editor. That doesn't make me right, but I spend a lot of time sizing headlines. My headline might have been a bit wordy, but the AP headline would definitely sell more papers.

I agree with what D. Stylin was saying though. Maybe you're right too. I'm confused and going home.

I would have written "Ohio Upholds Decision Against 'White's Only' Signage" but what do I know?

It's pretty sad that the case came up at all. If all the time and energy wasted on hatred had been redirected toward something constructive, imagine how much better off we'd all be? And for no additional cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I would have written "Ohio Upholds Decision Against 'White's Only' Signage" but what do I know?

It's pretty sad that the case came up at all. If all the time and energy wasted on hatred had been redirected toward something constructive, imagine how much better off we'd all be? And for no additional cost!

I agree....its just a shame that the property owner in question would even have the audacity to post some trash like that...