Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Ambassador Bridge Owner Moroun and aide Stamper Jailed

Matty: It's Pokey Time.

Breaking: A Wayne County judge this morning threw billionaire Manuel [[Matty) Moroun and his chief deputy at the bridge, Dan Stamper, to jail until they are in compliance with his order to finish building ramps connecting the Ambassador Bridge to nearby expressways.
    Lawyers sought an immediate stay of his order, but Judge Prentis Edwards denied the motion.

Link to Freep Article

WDIV has some interesting tidbits on twitter

"Moroun and his next in charge have resigned and our claiming they no longer have authority over the Bridge Company"

"Moroun's attorney asked that he go to jail instead of his client."

https://twitter.com/#!/Local4News

Hooray! This is great news!

Finish the ramps? I thought there was an order the tear them out and tear down the Duty Free store?

yippee!!!!! about time

"Moroun and his next in charge have resigned and our claiming they no longer have authority over the Bridge Company"

"Moroun's attorney asked that he go to jail instead of his client."
    That just makes me downright sick! That man thinks he is so big that he thinks we're stupid, then he probably threw a ton of cash at his attorney to serve his time for him!

I love when the wheels of justice are properly lubed!!! I hope Matty has some lube of his own!

Baloney samiches all around!

OK, it was a combination of things.

Edwards has said the bridge company had ignored his February 2010 orders to comply with its portion of the project, including the building of ramps and access roads, the removal of four piers and the relocation of toll booths, fueling stations and a portion of a duty-free shop.
    Legal hokey-pokey:

Kicking things off, Moroun's attorneys asked Edwards to excuse the trucking magnate from facing contempt of court sanctions, stating he isn't the owner of the bridge company. They argued the bridge company is owned by DIBC Holdings Inc. of which the Manuel J. Moroun Trust is a minority owner. They also noted Detroit International Bridge Co. President Dan Stamper is the decision maker.

Ultimately, they felt Moroun's constitutional rights would be violated by being forced to appear at this hearing.

Assistant Attorney General Robert Mol, who represents MDOT, said the board of DIBC Holdings Inc. is made up of Moroun, wife Nora and son Matthew — who own all the stock and delegate authority to Stamper. Mol said there is no need to excuse Moroun because there is no question he controls the bridge company.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

So, is he locked up? Led away in cuffs? Or just an order on paper?

He was handcuffed and led away.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    He was handcuffed and led away.
    He'll be on tether by the end of the day.

I can hear the MCS crumbling as we speak.....

Wouldn't it be great if he died in jail. A fitting end for such a piece of trash. Of course I would hope his death is from natural causes so there isn't a monstrous lawsuit against the city/county.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if he died in jail. A fitting end for such a piece of trash. Of course I would hope his death is from natural causes so there isn't a monstrous lawsuit against the city/county.
    I don't wish him death. But I most certainly do wish him jail.

And the trucks keep rolling on by.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I don't wish him death. But I most certainly do wish him jail.
    I can certainly see how I may [[jutifiably) look like a jerk to many for that statement but the issues that he has caused the residents of Detroit, in the areas that he intentionally blighted, to me is deserving of death.

Slow your roll, pal, if Matty dies in jail his torment is over. The City's would just begin, how is that good for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I can certainly see how I may [[jutifiably) look like a jerk to many for that statement but the issues that he has caused the residents of Detroit, in the areas that he intentionally blighted, to me is deserving of death.
    LOL, I wasn't casting any judgement on you. I think he's vile evil. If folks wanted him dead, it wouldn't surprise me. I don't wish death on him, but I don't think poorly of folks that would.

I guess that "corporations are people" thing finally backfired on one of the fat cats.

I think he is getting off easy. Nowhere covered in this is the extremely dangerous situation where truck traffic on the Fisher, backed up from the Clark street exit to, sometimes, Livernois, is at a standstill while traffic in the neighboring lanes whizzes by at 70 MPH.

At least two deaths have been caused by drivers slamming into "parked" trucks.

I hope they both remain there until the entire project is completed.

Above, deputies take Manuel [[Matty) Moroun into custody. Below, he reacts to the judge's ruling. / ANDRE J. JACKSON/Detroit Free Press Detroit

"What'd he say?"

Name:  Matty.JPG
Views: 2569
Size:  28.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post

Above, deputies take Manuel [[Matty) Moroun into custody. Below, he reacts to the judge's ruling. / ANDRE J. JACKSON/Detroit Free Press Detroit
    Man the look on his face in the bottom pic is priceless. We should have a caption contest.

"Congratulations, Marty, you are Queen for a Day"

My favorite is that they "resigned" to show they don't have authority. Ok. So, what, we give the next guy 30 days to comply and then send them to jail...oh, wait, they "resigned".

No. Screw that.

Matty, you're going to jail. And whoever is taking over the company, you get to START in jail. We let you out when we see progress.

Name:  MattyPoster.jpg
Views: 4949
Size:  27.0 KB

The Matty Motivational Poster.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast