Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Olga's moving in to Compuware building

Its not the coveted Panera but at least we have another major chain moving downtown.

I work downtown and am happy to have another option for lunch. I have to admit, I have never eaten at an Olga's but I imagine its a lot like Panera.

Is Olga's any good?

I used to eat it when I worked out in the 'burbs. Pretty good food. Good bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitkid View Post
    Its not the coveted Panera but at least we have another major chain moving downtown.

I work downtown and am happy to have another option for lunch. I have to admit, I have never eaten at an Olga's but I imagine its a lot like Panera.

Is Olga's any good?
    I wouldn't say it's similar to Panera. Olga's is a Greek-based restaurant.

I used to love it as a child when my grandmother would take me there. Within the last couple of years I went back to one in Toledo and found it pretty horrible, unfortunately.

I'm with noise; as a kid it sounded good, but going there as an adult, I was less than blown away. Still, I am not complaining about them opening downtown; its great to have another lunch option. I will probably give them some patronage.

Its supposed to be an Olga's Market Fresh which I guess is different from the original. There is one on Woodward and 12 Mile ish... I wonder if its any better.

YUCK! Olga's Kitchen!

That's what it takes. Locally based national brands filling up spots downtown. Not really an Olga's fan [[haven't been there in ages) but will most likely give the "market fresh" setting a chance. Can't go wrong with space being filled in!

Olga's was always my #1 place to go for food when going to a mall as a kid. Still love the chicken Olga and actually miss it. We don't have them out here on the West coast.

looks like i am in the minortiy but i LOVE olgas and am excited about it

my 1st job was as a hostess @ the Olgas in Universal Mall so maybe i am biased

I like Olga's original sandwich but rarely buy it because its very expensive. I think it runs nearly $8 and you canget many sandwiches downtown for around $4-$5.

... good American fare? [[hamburgers, etc.?)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitkid View Post
    Its supposed to be an Olga's Market Fresh which I guess is different from the original. There is one on Woodward and 12 Mile ish... I wonder if its any better.

I love Olga's. don't understand why so many are down on it. The Fresh Market actually gives you fries and salad with the sandwich, so it is a better value [[LOVE the zucchini fries, i think they are extra)

fried chicken hani all the way!

Didn't there used to be in Olga's @ the Ren Cen prior to the renovation?

Love Olga's! They have some great fries and burgers. Before moving to the city I would go to the one in Canton pretty often.

Panera>Olga's any day. But hey, it's always nice to have more options.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Didn't there used to be in Olga's @ the Ren Cen prior to the renovation?
    I remember an Olga's being there or Trappers Alley during the late 80's. The RenCen did not renew many leases of retailer during and after the renovations. Thank God GM had cancelled their contract with that management company. Olgas probably was in the RenCen before GM had purchased the complex

This is great. We need as many big chains in the city [[especially downtown) as we can get. Big chains=usually dependable service, consistent quality, regular business hours.

Besides that, Olga's is decent food at somewhat reasonable prices. The market fresh concept is great as I frequent their new Royal Oak restaurant on Woodward and 12.5 mile regularly.

This is wonderful. I have never ate at an Olga's Kitchen but it's great that a local eatery is making a move to downtown Detroit.

Weren't Olga's restaurants in Fairlane and Northland Malls about 30+ years ago? Weren't the curly fries called Olga's fries?

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Weren't Olga's restaurants in Fairlane and Northland Malls about 30+ years ago? Weren't the curly fries called Olga's fries?
    The Olga's @ Fairlane was there until recently. It moved when the Fairlane atop the Dump opened up. Many stores left Fairlane for the dump.

I think everything on the menu is "Olga". The fries are "Olga Fries" and the famous sandwich which most just call a Gyro, is called the "Olga". My ex loved that place in Southfield, she would always order an Olga with Olga fries, while I would order soup of the day and a glass of water because that's how I roll in a place like that. It's no Greektown.

I never ate at Olgas. Going to have to try them now that they're supporting downtown.

Yes, there was one at Northland and according to the below website it became National Coney Island and then went vacant:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgott...askitchen.html

Occurrence Guest

You know we are in troubled times when we get excited about an Olga's Kitchen opening up....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast