Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dollar General closing?

The cashier at Dollar General in Lafayette Park had told a customer that the store might be closing and relocating to a new area. She had said that the potential closing is due to the theft that had been occuring at the store. She had said that theives would sometimes fill up the carrying basket with merchandise and run out of the store without paying. This would be said if they close. There had been times in the past that the front would have no cashiers or anyone up there. The store should had hired it's own security. I hope that Lafayette Foods doesn't follow suit.

Who ever owns that the entire complex needs to rethink the whole purpose of that spot. Ever since NBD, Lafayette Orleans, the supermarket, and Richards Drugs left, that spot has steadily gone downhill. Somebody needs to do a feasibility study to find out what will work there.

There's a Dollar General opening on 7 Mile near Schoenherr. They may be referencing that one...

For those familiar with the area, it's going to be inside the old Movie Mania.

The cart 'grab and go' thing is not uncommon. Nervy as hell. I saw it happen at Burlington Coat Factory in Southfield. Folks [[a couple) pushed a cart right out the door filled, heavy with clothes, got in their car and drove off before security could catch them. Sometimes the theive case the place to see when security may go on lunch or change shift when they do the door 'dash' like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    ...She had said that theives would sometimes fill up the carrying basket with merchandise and run out of the store without paying...
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-12-12 at 07:04 AM.

What?! I hope this is just a rumuor. I'm a Lafayette Parker who fancies DG over Lafayette Foods any day. The prices are much better.