Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why atheists strike back

Beyond an ex-president who thinks atheists shouldn't be considered citizens, we have idiots like this:

http://patriotpost.us/commentary/201...e-recognition/

Just ignore that crap. I'm not an atheist. After reading the first sentence or two it's easy to see it's self-righteous drivel.

There is a GOD! end of story.

Yes, Odin definitely exists, and his damn ravens keep spying on me. so does Thor. I hear him every time there's a big storm

The paranoia that keeps Gitmo open and fuels the huge and outrageously expensive top secret bureaucracy of homeland security is just an extension of the paranoia drummed up by fire and brimstone ministers who preach about a sadistic god that tortures people forever.

Danny:
    Your post is a great example of the utter lack of critical thinking that is fundamentalist religion.
    Last edited by maxx; January-12-12 at 03:05 PM.

95% of the mankind on this Planet Earth said that there is a GOD. 1% said that there is many gods. 1% said that there is nature. What leaves the 2.5%?

And at one time "everyone knew" that the sun went around the earth. Why do science and justice require evidence but religion only requires imagination and a lot of know-nothing followers to be declared legitimate?

And I think more than 1% says there is nature. lol

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    95% of the mankind on this Planet Earth said that there is a GOD. 1% said that there is many gods. 1% said that there is nature. What leaves the 2.5%?
    I am a proud membrane of the remaining 0.5%.

Occurrence Guest

Some Atheists are just as annoying and some religious people. Everyone should just come together and realize that nobody cares what they think exists or doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Some Atheists are just as annoying and some religious people. Everyone should just come together and realize that nobody cares what they think exists or doesn't exist.
    My thoughts exactly. Good grief, I know some condescending a**holes on both sides!

GOD exists.

JESUS is real.

THE HOLY GHOST is here.

I don't care what people believe as long as their beliefs don't affect me. Unfortunately, too many people who follow wacky religions are trying to affect our gov. which affects me. I think someone should ask Mitt whether he believes all the wacky tenets of Mormonism starting with Jos. Smith's claim that the Garden of Eden was somewhere in Missouri, I think. Why should someone with crazy religious beliefs be allowed to control the most powerful nation in the world? Look what happened when Reagan appointed James Watt as Interior Sec. He thought there was no point in preserving the environment since Jesus was due any time. Do you want to have a person with such nihilistic beliefs in control of our nuclear weapons?

Occurrence Guest

Religious people like to complain about Atheists complaining. Atheists to have a point to some degree. These wacky religions spawn rules that say when I can and can't buy alcohol. Why should their religion affect me in any way?

My biggest complaint is the tax exemption for the churches, the parsonages, etc, and that I am defacto supporting their infrastructure with MY taxes

Mine too. This article estimates that U.S. churches own about one-quarter of the U.S. real estate.

http://atheism.about.com/od/churches...yitmatters.htm

"...Should churches actually have to demonstrate that they are doing charitable work that entitles them to tax exemptions on their own merits, it is unlikely that they would receive the same extensive benefits as they currently do...."

Interesting court decision:

http://atheism.about.com/library/dec...ggartCalif.htm

Nice try, IN Baptist Temple for claiming that paying taxes was a sin.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/458110/detail.html

Yes, as long as you do right in life, that's all that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    GOD exists.

JESUS is real.

THE HOLY GHOST is here.
    I don't believe that god exists, I don't believe that Jesus is real, and I certainly don't think the holy ghost is here. Thanks for sharing your opinion though, Danny.

Original link in the start message is gone.

Here's the Google cache.

Occurrence Guest

I still stand by my opinion that if you have never heard of the Bible by an adult age, and someone gave a copy to you as a gift or you stumbled upon one at a used book store, you would want to throw it in the garbage.

Ravine Guest

I still stand by my opinion that if you have never heard of the Bible by an adult age, and someone gave a copy to you as a gift or you stumbled upon one at a used book store, you would want to throw it in the garbage.
    And I still stand by my opinion that you don't have a fucking clue as to what I, or anyone else, would do in that scenario.

Zealous atheists & the zealously religious are fully engaged in a perpetual war: not one intended to determine who is in the right, but a competitive one where the goal is to determine which side can be the most intolerant, insulting, and smugly dismissive of the other.

Both sides can screw off, as far as I'm concerned.
    I realized, a long time ago, that there is a whole bunch of stuff that I don't know and a huge stack of questions for which there are no factual answers. I decided, at that time, to build a fire in the backyard of my mind, throw everything I believed into it, and that whatever didn't incinerate, I would hang onto. I wound up with lots of ash, but a small handful of items survived the blaze.
    I'm quite comfortable with that. If something feels like The Truth, to me, I do not need to empirically qualify its source.

I know that which I know, and believe that which I believe. The latter set is larger than the former. That's just fine, with me, too.
    Sometimes, I choose to believe things that I don't know because that belief helps me to make sense of my world in my way.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    And I still stand by my opinion that you don't have a fucking clue as to what I, or anyone else, would do in that scenario.
    You're probably right, but I'm speaking of generalities.

Is there also a chance that if, as an adult, you were handed a copy of "The Hobbit," you would interpret the plot as factual and historical events?

Ravine Guest

That would be more a decision than an interpretation, and one that I would not pursue. I would merely read it. Or not.

Your opinion is welcome! However 'opinions' certainly vary on that one. People [[adults included) are experiencing life changing and affirming information from their 'new' and ongoing exploration of the Bible daily.

Though Voltaire also said it was a useless book!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-15-12 at 08:02 AM.

And that life-changing event from one's exploration of the Bible might not be positively religious.
    For instance, there are those pesky verses in Matthew where Jesus says "If thy eye offend thee, pluck it out for it is better to be blind than to burn in hell" or words to that effect. Not a very nice depiction of the justice of a god he called a loving father. In fact it's pretty sadistic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast