Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

The Vikes are on tap for today's game. We r 4-4 the Vikes, 5-4. Our new secret weapon Reiff should be able to help contain Jarred Allen.

Improved ground game, but their Petterson leads the league in rushing, our guys are going to have their hands full.

Vikes go down like a prom date.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The Vikes are on tap for today's game. We r 4-4 the Vikes, 5-4. Our new secret weapon Reiff should be able to help contain Jarred Allen.

Improved ground game, but their Petterson leads the league in rushing, our guys are going to have their hands full.

Vikes go down like a prom date.
    I only wish your prediction was spot-on, gnome.

Instead Peterson took us to task on the outside edges. He couldn't do much damage running up the gut but he gashed us for some huge gains on the periphery. No fourth quarter heroics for our guys this time around. Damn.

It's official. I'm off the bandwagon. See ya next year guys, I'm out.

Jezebel, what a sucky suck of a game. Not off the bandwagon yet, but one foot is dangling.

Jezebel, what a sucky suck of a game. Not off the bandwagon yet, but one foot is dangling.
    Get that dangling hoof back on this bandwagon. Having survived an 0-16 season and still remaining faithful, don't you guys go spineless on me now. So Peterson darted through every micro crease we had today, but we still need to have some hope and faith in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Get that dangling hoof back on this bandwagon. Having survived an 0-16 season and still remaining faithful, don't you guys go spineless on me now. So Peterson darted through every micro crease we had today, but we still need to have some hope and faith in this team.

Rather than jump off the bandwagon you might just want to roll off it. The rest of the season is brutal, the good part.. most of the games are at home.

I'm guess I'm not alone in being a bandwagon football fan. I can follow the other sports when the team is having a lousy season because there's usually some young guys I'm enthusiastic about and it's about building for the future. With football, it's such a short season and the roster turnover most years now is so huge, I'm gone the second the playoff picture dims. Granted I only get to one game a year, but I'll never buy for the second half of the season in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'll jump back on if they beat the Packers this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'll jump back on if they beat the Packers this Sunday.
    I've heard people swearing this team off for years. I know how frustrating and mind numbing this team can be in its mediocrity. We're not that long in the tooth that we haven't forgotten about 0-16, the Matt Millen debacle, and the minutia that happens every game. We dissect plays here down to the last blade of artificial turf on Ford Field with this team. Everyone is a Monday morning arm chair QB. This team's bandwagon's shock absorbers has got to be some of the most resilient things in the world with all of the people jumping on and off week after week, much less day after day.

But rather than jump on an off on a daily basis, I know that I'm a Lions fan. This is the team that I follow religiously and loyally. I don't have to worry about snapping an ankle jumping on and off; I've been on board and maybe I'm just too stubborn to jump off- but I'll ride it out because they're my hometown team. It's not like I'm suddenly going to start cheering for the Browns, the Vikings or some other NFL team so why not cheer for the one that represents the town where I live and work?

Years back I think I mentioned that being associated with this team is like having a mentally challenged sibling. You still love them for who they are even though other people might stare and quietly look away from you. We're all associated with this team. We can't so casually shed them off so easily- and quite honestly I don't think most of us deep down want to.

We can criticize the living daylights out of this team because they're ours. We'll still defend this team and hope they somehow pull it together every Sunday even if it's against every Vegas line and sane football pundit. They're simply our team. They're out Detroit Football Lions. As much as we'd like to look away and not care, I can almost guarantee that even for the most ardent ex-Lions fan, they still sneak a peek at the game or the box score every weekend. So I've resolved myself to not jumping off the bandwagon at every twist and turn of this soap opera of a team. I know they're imperfect and always will be. Even if they somehow go 16-0 [[take THAT 1972 Dolphins!) and win the Super Bowl- I'll still be critical of this team. It's what loyal fans do for their teams. We care... probably way to much and to the detriment of our personal relations at times but it's who we are. We're loyal Lions fans; quit denying it already.

Smogboy is right. We can never ever really jump off the bandwagon. I was really pissed about the Vikes game and it took me a few days to calm down. But I'm back in the game. This game against the Packers is one of those games where, and I think someone else mentioned it earlier, it seems the Lions will have no chance. But just when you think that they come along and win a game we thought they had no chance in. So I think they can do it. The Pack is coming off the bye and might be a bit rusty. No Clay Matthews helps too. Go Lions!

Smogboy is right. We can never ever really jump off the bandwagon. I was really pissed about the Vikes game and it took me a few days to calm down. But I'm back in the game. This game against the Packers is one of those games where, and I think someone else mentioned it earlier, it seems the Lions will have no chance. But just when you think that they come along and win a game we thought they had no chance in. So I think they can do it. The Pack is coming off the bye and might be a bit rusty. No Clay Matthews helps too. Go Lions!
    I think he's spot on too... especially about the criticism of this team. I don't think anyone can blame you for being a little pissed off after the Vikings game, Downriviera. This team has some talent and should've been able to take the Vikings down. Instead we're left Sunday PM fuming about how the defense couldn't stop Peterson and how soft the edges were. I think we can beat the Pack. I'm not sure why. Maybe I took a hefty swig of gnome's pre-season Kool-Aid, but I'm okay with it.

Besides I think smogboy's right in the sense that I can't see myself cheering for anything other than Honolulu Blue & Silver. It just wouldn't feel right.

Just because I love my wife doesn't mean we don't argue. We discuss aspects of my many failings on a regular basis and while I may disagree from time-to-time I always remember that the honey is worth it.

It is worth it. I keep telling myself that. I pound down that fresh-squeezed koolaid, that organic free-range stuff that leaves my lips blue. Yep, that be me, lips blue, turban wrapped, lions fan.

we looking at kickoff in a minute. Buckle up kids, our Leo's are going to rape the pack today. 34 - 17

I'm starting to think the league should take away the Thanksgiving Day game. It's not fare to spoil the rest of the country's turkey day every year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Well here’s what I’ve got for the predictions so far:

The Professionals:
    Dave Birkett [[Freep): 10-6
    Carlos Monarrez [[Freep): 11-5
    Jeff Seidel [[Freep): 10-6
    Drew Sharp [[Freep): 8-8
    Anwar Richardson [[MLive): 10-6
    Justin Rogers [[MLive): 10-6
    JOSH KATZENSTEIN [[Detroit News) : 10-6
    BUCKY BROOKS [[NFL.com): 8-8
    DANIEL JEREMIAH [[NFL.com): 9-7
    ADAM SCHEIN [[NFL.com): 8-8
    STAVE WYCHE [[NFL.com): 9-7
    DAVE DYE [[FoxSportsDetroit.com): 11-5
    DEAN HOLDEN [[BleacherReport.com): 11-5

The DYes cast of characters and part time psychics:
    Gnome: 12-4 [[and a bold prediction I’ll toss cookies during the Jags game.)
    Kenp: 10-6
    Thruster315: 9-7
    GUSHI: 11-5
    Big dog: 8-8
    GOAT: 7-9

...and my prediction of 10-6.
    Damn. None of us are looking too good with regards to the predictions right now. With six more games down the pipe:

Houston
    Indianapolis
    Green Bay
    Arizona
    Atlanta
    Chicago

None of these teams have even got a losing record with the exception of the Cardinals. We might be lucky to eke out one or two more victories at best. I think we all took too big of a gulp from the Kool Aid bucket. I can't see my 9-7 prediction doing anything other than circling the drain right about now.
    Last edited by Thruster315; November-19-12 at 05:53 AM.

We are an average team. An average team with a few above average features and more below average weaknesses.

our coach is not a genius, our D-line doesn't deserve a nickname, linebackers are tougher than a two-dollar steak and just as small, backfield ... A revolving door of castaways, head cases and injurious weenies.

Nick Fairley was a stud yesterday but does anyone know the scoop on Titus Young? He seems to be in the doghouse again. All things point to him being a part of that "conversation" between Jefferson and Linehan.

Is he just proving to everyone he's that punk ass kid who has outlived his usefulness despite being crazy talented?

It seemed to me that Young was clearly held and interfered with in the end zone on third down. But then I thought about it. Thats one of those calls that a good team gets. I guess we're not good enough to get that call.
    Last edited by Downriviera; November-20-12 at 07:05 AM.

I seemed to me that Young was clearly held and interfered with in the end zone on third down. But then I thought about it. Thats one of those calls that a good team gets. I guess we're not good enough to get that call.
    I guess we won't have to worry about Titus getting that call in the end zone in the Thanksgiving game:

http://www.freep.com/article/2012111...text|FRONTPAGE

Seriously- Titus Young, second year player who suddenly thinks he's Da Man in this league? Personally I say we cut our losses now with this punk ass kid. He's already caused us far too much trouble. Early on in the season, veteran players had reached out to him and he still continues to be a punk to this day.

Well before long, he's going to be an unemployed punk. How many more chances does this pompous asshat get? He got suspended while in college for doing this as well. One would think that he'd mature somewhat, realize he's playing in the NFL, and now millions of dollars are at stake. Every stupid ass blemish like this is just going to kill his value and his earning potential.

Get da bum outta here!

i want to look at my draft analysis from 2011.

i want to look at my draft analysis from 2011.
    Looking back, I'd be willing to trust your picks over the ones Mayhew made that year. I never want to badger Mayhew but it seems as though he might have taken a few swigs from the fanboy's Kool Aid bucket and believed that we were better than our 10-6 record.

Best Available Player- I get it, but with this team we can't afford to blow the first two draft picks on luxury/ depth picks. Now I think Reiff is going to be a solid starter some day [[as quick as this week) and for a long time- he hasn't been a huge impact. Same can be said for a wide receiver recovering from an ACL surgery in Broyles. One day they'll hopefully be solid but with the first picks, one would think they could and should be immediate starters- not riders on the bench.

A lot of folks are going to get their wish granted: Backus is not starting. Reiff might step in and try to fill those size 17 cleats.

man, it is a real bitch when wishes come true.

A lot of folks are going to get their wish granted: Backus is not starting. Reiff might step in and try to fill those size 17 cleats.

man, it is a real bitch when wishes come true.
    I feel for you and agree with you, brother gnome. For all of those Backus haters out there, how fast they forget that he's been pretty rock steady for what seems like forever now. He also takes on some serious All-Pro defensive ends and if he's as bad as they all claim he is, our QBs would all be flattened by now. Now that's not to say he doesn't give up a few sacks but again, look at the opponents he's facing week after week. He's not taking on undersized patsies. He's also been guilty of a few false starts in his time too.

He's not perfection. No offensive lineman is. He's not above honest and fair criticism. I'm sure if you were to ask him he'd be honest and tell us where he blew it- but that's also professional sports too. Let's have some honest and realistic expectations of these guys.

Let's not forget that Bobby Layne had some interceptions, Barry Sanders' every run wasn't for positive yardage, and Jason Hanson's hung a few to the right of the posts too.

Riley Reiff is going to have his hands full today facing JJ Watt- who's well into having a Pro Bowl season. Hopefully he's going to have the fortitude, some help from Sims, some help from the RB, and some luck on that side. I'm hoping for some Stafford quickness in his decision making too to help alleviate some of the Texan pass rush.

What an ugly result todays game. We had some highs, and some lows.

Schwartz's throwing the flag was really boneheaded, mostly because I've seen it happen earlier this year in another game and he should have known better. There's never a need to rush it. Stop and think, talk to the coaches upstairs first. That being said, the rule is crazy. The play should still be reviewed and overturned if necessary with the penalty inforced on the ensuing play. Even dumber was not throwing wide for a couple of yards at least once on the missed field goal drive. A 47 yard field goal is too much to assume. Good thing they were already out of the playoff picture.
    Last edited by 401don; November-22-12 at 07:51 PM.

I am beginning to think that Schwartz might not be the guy to lead the Lions to the promise land. I see the same things week after week, the team is undisciplined, which is a reflection of the coaching staff, the defensive backfield tackles worst than Pop Warner players, I get tired of them sticking arms or shoulders into people thinking they are going to bring a good back or receiver down. Again my pet peeve Pettigrew is no better than a back-up blocking tight end yet they still throw to him in key situations. Schwartz has made T Young into his whipping boy, but there are others he needs to hold accountable and seemingly he isn't. He needs to definitely be on the hot seat in 2013

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast