Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Passes dropped, missed tackles, poor play everywhere. Seems like a lack of discipline. Could all the off season/off field troubles have anything to do with this? I'd like to think not but I'm starting to wonder.

Curse me for having a gut call about the Lions Vikings game. I'm just gonna sit in the corner here and stew for a bit. BAH!

no vim. vim vim vim. passion. fun. desire. zeal. mirth. it is a freaking game, guys.

play like you are having fun, 'cuz right now you suck

Damn good time for the Lions to have a bye week. We can devote our energies on cheering for that team across the way in Comerica Park for a little bit.

It is the 3rd quarter and Stafford is playing like Alex Karras would play if he could start today.

Hooray for the Lions victory with a period at the end of the sentence. While I’m happy we got a victory out of it there were some things that I found disturbing about the game. There were also some nice highlights as well because we obviously found a way to win it.

The Detroit Lions dogma of wanting to establish the run early on almost worked well but because of the penalties killed any sort of rhythm that this team seems to need in order to succeed. I was blown away by how many pre-snap penalties [[on both sides of the ball) that our team took. Even regular veterans like Calvin Johnson was responsible for a handful of drive killers. I think nearly everyone on the offensive line was responsible for a yellow hankie tossed his way. This team offensively needs to get into a flow in order to work well; when this team marched down the field in games last year it was because Matthew Stafford could get the team moving in a consistent rhythm. For the first half of this game, we just never took stride. Is part of the lack of rhythm due to the introduction of the run? Or was it because of the forced runs and penalties? Maybe part of it was due to the Bye Week layoff?

Needless to say, the first half was drab and uninspired offensively. Thank goodness the defensive front four decided to come to life and give Michael Vick grief. Three sacks and numerous hits on Vick I’m sure changed up some of his decision making. Not only did they pester Vick but they also dogged the running game. Take Michael Vick’s 59 yards out of the equation and the Eagles only had a pitiful 12 yards total! I don’t know if it was that anonymous NFL GM that perked the front four to work or if it was the Eagles’ sad offensive line but I thought this was a break out game for the guys up front. I’d also like to think that the return of Louis Delmas had an impact as well with regards to coverage in the middle of the field. His desire to stop the run and his interception definitely didn’t hurt [[now just stay healthy for the rest of the year, please?).

From two weeks ago, our special teams unit stunk up the joint and today, they weren’t bad. They were good with their tackling and never really gave the Eagles much of a chance to get yards after a kick or punt. I don’t know what they did to tweak it from a few weeks ago but obviously it worked.

I'll take the win for our lions, but this victory, was kind of like, whipped cream, on horse shit.

Michael Vick must be wondering what the hell hit him. When he had his quick hits and runs, he was effective. But when he was told to drop back and find a receiver, the Lions' D was on him. The Eagles' O line was lacy thin when it came up to the rush- even when it was just a three or four man rush. It was nice to see the D actually live up to some of the hype for once.

I'll give it up to the kid for trying but for his own good, Jahvid Best needs to listen to his family and save what brain cells he still has left. He's been too dinged up and doesn't need to be eating through a tube when he's not even 30 yet.

I heard a report that the Lions still might keep him on the roster for another year so he can get in three years and be able to tap into some of the NFL pension. If that's true, that's classy; hopefully it won't impact the roster numbers.

He is 23 and invincible. Maybe a few of us can remember being invincible. Bulletproof. I sure can, and every minute of every day I am reminded I was once invincible.

I can remember doing all the things you do when bullets bounce off and bayonets are blunted by your shield. Except they didn't . I remember being more offended than scared when they didn't. Outraged at the insult, the disrespect of a bayonet rummaging around my chest and back. Mad, not afraid of dying.

I can remember all that.

Will Jahvid?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    He is 23 and invincible. Maybe a few of us can remember being invincible. Bulletproof. I sure can, and every minute of every day I am reminded I was once invincible.

I can remember doing all the things you do when bullets bounce off and bayonets are blunted by your shield. Except they didn't . I remember being more offended than scared when they didn't. Outraged at the insult, the disrespect of a bayonet rummaging around my chest and back. Mad, not afraid of dying.

I can remember all that.

Will Jahvid?
    That's the thing. You at least will remember.

All Jahvid has to do is take one hard shot to the noggin and he's not going to be able to remember beans. I'd much rather have him think back to his invulnerable days as opposed to having some caretaker showing him pictures in a vain attempt to remind him.

Where's our vaunted offense? Why can't we get the ball rolling until the fourth quarter? Why is our red zone offense so pathetic? is Matthew Stafford out of sync? Can Stefan Logan not muff a catch?

I think these are the questions that most of talk radio and those of us here will be asking for the next few days in a vain attempt to break down the Monday Night game. It was by far one of the most drab football games in recent memory and not just because our Lions lost- but just on a sheer football scale, it wasn't anything to write home about. SIX, count them... six fumbles by our team. If we had somehow and miraculously won with six fumbles, Chicago was going to be laughed out of the league. Chicago just played a conservative game and hung onto the ball. They controlled the ball and were just more patient than we were; they literally waited for us to implode. They were opportunistic and we made it easy for them by handing them the ball at the worst of times.

We couldn't even keep the ball long enough for Jason Hanson to come out and boot a nearly guaranteed three. Our offense just did not click on any of their cylinders. Seeing a Brandon Pettigrew drop, I've grown to expect but a Calvin Johnson drop in the open field? Gasp! And there was also two tosses to Pettigrew where he caught it and miraculously fumbled it out of bounds. Someone want to tell him that's not the ideal way to gain a few extra yards??

Defensively the front four was about one of the only bright spots to cheer about. The linebackers also stepped up and played well too, but unless one of our defensive guys reaches up and snares a Pick Six or snatches a fumble- we're not strong enough of a team to have them carry us yet.

I was really hoping that somehow this team was going to snatch one off of the Soldier Field turf and get back into the conversation but unless this team plays an entire game soon, we're going to be lucky to get back to .500 any time soon. We really need to play well on both sides of the ball early and maybe even get a quick strike in early. I'm not sure since we have a bruiser like Leshoure in the backfield now that Linehan wants to establish a run immediately. I say play up our strengths and go vertical early if we can; it worked for us last year and to abandon that to play "fundamentally sound well rounded" football doesn't exactly wash with me. Simply put- find a way to win the game and utilize the weapons we have on hand early and often.

If you want real pain try watching the game, while wearing a lions hat, in a neighborhood Chicago bar. It would have only been worse if I'd gone down to Soldier Field. Being hooted upon and mocked by Chicagoians was unfun.

If you want real pain try watching the game, while wearing a lions hat, in a neighborhood Chicago bar. It would have only been worse if I'd gone down to Soldier Field. Being hooted upon and mocked by Chicagoians was unfun.
    Damn big fella, that's some rough sleddin'.

Next time it might be better to walk around in your Miss Cleo turban but then you might run into some Chicago based anti-Islamic group who'd give you more grief.

I feel for ya. It wasn't that much better watching this game at the neighborhood watering hole either. It was a snoozer of a game and the people taking the biggest nap was the Detroit Lions offense. That first half was about as boring as it got for professional football. So it wasn't a blowout on the scoreboard but it might as well have been the way we played. We had so many three-and-outs it was embarrassing.

Is it me only,that thinks Stafford is gun shy. He leaves the pocket way too early, and his accuracy suffers, when he throws on the run.

If he was gun shy, he wouldn't be running for touchdowns. He has three TDs so far and leads the team in rushing touchdowns.

not a sign of someone who is gun shy.

You could say he isn't playing up to his reputation, has been not nearly as good as expected, has been inaccurate. But you can't say he's gun shy.

Well I hope he starts playing better.

As do I.

what I see is that the offense works better sans huddle. The Linehan huddle interrupts the Stafford mojo. I see this as a power struggle between Linehan and Matt with stafford losing the argument until the end of the game when no-huddle becomes the default position.

You know how our Leos always find some new and surprising way to lose? Like when Milt Plum threw an interception to Herb Adderly when the only thing Milt needed to do was run out the clock? Or when a man with half a foot kicked a 63 yard fieldgoal with no time on the clock?

well today they did the opposite. They ran.

after a dozen years of not being able to run, they ran for four TDs.

i don't know if the impossible can happen, or if it will.

Sure it was against the lowly Jaguars but I thought Sunday’s performance against them seemed by far the most balanced I’ve seen in a long time. Calvin Johnson, even hobbled was used early and not just in the fourth quarter. Matthew Stafford looked calm and efficient. Ryan Broyles made an impact. And the tandem of LeShoure and Bell looked pretty impressive when called upon.

Our team actually looked dominant in the first half and controlled both sides of the ball. We hung onto that ball like Stick Um was still legal. Seriously when was the last time anyone could remember Matthew Stafford taking a knee at the end of a game to preserve a Lions victory?

This game started out of the gate and was a no-doubter. We had the ball ten minutes more than the Jags did. The halftime score of 21-0 probably could’ve been a lot more lopsided but to a demoralized Jaguar team that averages around 14 points a game, that must let a lot of the air out of their balloon going into the locker room. All three of LeShoure’s scampers into the end zone weren’t even of the bruising variety- he just walked in.

There were just a few things that surprised me this game:
    -Jason Hanson hitting the goal post. Yes, I’m spoiled by this man’s continuous accuracy and to see him kiss the right post from a makeable distance was jarring.
    -Ndamukong Suh was held off the box scores for the first time in ages. I know he still had an impact on the game but he had no tackles, no sacks, and maybe a few hurries but that was it. I thought for sure he’d come out of his funk going up against the this team. I believe he’s still a force to be reckoned with every week but teams have seemed to have solved him for now. How I wish he’d return to his rookie form or have Gunther Cunningham find a new scheme to use him more effectively.
    -Reilly Reiff is being used all over the offensive line now. From additional tight end to just more beef in a jumbo package. I doubt if this is the traditional way to groom a future offensive lineman but he seems effective so far in this slightly unorthodox role.

Over all it was an enjoyable game for a Lions fan. For the football purist who was expecting professional quality competition, it was probably pretty cut and dry as the Lions took charge early and never looked back.

If he was gun shy, he wouldn't be running for touchdowns. He has three TDs so far and leads the team in rushing touchdowns.

not a sign of someone who is gun shy.

You could say he isn't playing up to his reputation, has been not nearly as good as expected, has been inaccurate. But you can't say he's gun shy.
    Even from his early days at Georgia he was known as a gunslinger. He's probably got the strongest arm of any Detroit Lions QB that I can think of in the last three decades. And to achieve that 10,000+ yard marker in 37 games is not the tell tale sign of a person who is afraid to throw the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    -Reilly Reiff is being used all over the offensive line now. From additional tight end to just more beef in a jumbo package. I doubt if this is the traditional way to groom a future offensive lineman but he seems effective so far in this slightly unorthodox role.
    Im in Chicago and couldn't get to a Lions bar to see the game, so I had to follow the game on nfl com using their box score, play-by-play thing. I tried the freep live blog but that is impossible to follow with the Peanut Gallery commentary.

anyway, I have been able to see some plays via replays and noticed how Rieff is being used. One play he lined up as a tight end, went into motion, then with the snap trapped to his right springing Leshoure for a TD.

Reiff was recruited as a tightend out of high school, state champion wrestler, and is only 4 years removed from those duties. I think we are seeing a a very athletic young man being used in new and interesting ways. The reason this innovative thinking is important, is because it is new and innovative.

With Burleson gone, Pettigrew hot n cold, Titus Young Sr. either a hero or a punk, Broyles progressing and the Madden Curse working its mojo on Megatron; we need a run game. But our best back is trying to remember his name, and neither Bell or Leshoure have demonstrated a coherent and consistent contribution. Therefore you need to make something happen. Trick plays are tricky, halfback passes can look like there is no air in the ball, end arounds end out-of-bounds without a Nate speeding by the edge.

but incorporating Reiff as a hybrid tackle, wingback, tightend makes a defense plan for what he brings to the blocking scheme. He puts a hat on bodies and is nimble enough to spring backs for extra yardage.

An improved running game makes the dbl coverage on Calvin less likely. Makes our limping passing game more dangerous.

but the main reason I'm liking what I glimpsed with Reiff is that it showed creative application of available talent. Not a skill we have always excelled at.

oh, yeah, what was that personal foul on Fairely all about? Is he still acting the fool?

3 TDs running from the red zone. I don't think I've ever seen that from the Lion's. Great game by the offensive line. Gotta beat the Vikes or it is all for nought.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    3 TDs running from the red zone. I don't think I've ever seen that from the Lion's. Great game by the offensive line. Gotta beat the Vikes or it is all for nought.
    Obviously there's some chicken sh!t GM in the league that doesn't have the brass kajonies to state his opinion openly thinking differently about Raiola. And shame on Pro Football Weekly to be the TMZ of the NFL for posting crap like that; it's sensationalism at its worst.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not exactly a huge fan of Raiola by any means, but he's our starting center and I'm going to cheer for him because he's our dude until we can get a better replacement. And not to mention I'm just a regular dude fan and not some NFL caliber GM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast