Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Kenp, I know shellshock, I know PTSD, I know combat fatigue, ... Had/have all of those ... This is different. It's like that guy at the end of Platoon when he sez to Sgt Barnes, " I got a bad feeling about this one man."

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    So Tom, I hope you're enjoying the man dramas we've got going with this team. I hope that your 50 years line skybox seat is comfortable and you're still cheering the team on and being critical of them when they need to be. You're sadly missed, Mister Kowalski.

Some solace for the big guy himself:
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...with_dick.html

it hasn't been mentioned yet, but there have been 7 arrests of Lions players since 2001. 6 in the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    it hasn't been mentioned yet, but there have been 7 arrests of Lions players since 2001. 6 in the last 6 months.
    It's already been bandied about talk radio for the longest time already and while I'm at time loathe to admit it, Mike Valenti is right about these guys. Do we want Lions wins or do we want choirboys? I don't recall the entire snippet they've been playing on air but it's something akin to football being an ugly sport played by some pretty brutish people.

What do we as fans want from these guys? Sure, accountability on and off the field would be damn nice but this team has also had to roll the dice and maybe take a shot with guys who have some character flaws. And by no means am I going to excuse their actions but they're not representative of the whole team; there's still a huge contingent of more than upstanding sort of guys on this team. Those arrested and their indiscretions happened far away from the team and on their own time. Just because they get paid a goodly sum to play a game doesn't mean that the management can control every aspect of their lives. I wish they could but it's just not feasible.

Play well, bust ass, win a few games and don't ever let this happen again-- all will be forgiven by the fans.

Thruster, I meant we haven't discussed it here. Maybe a mention or three of individual incidents, but not in aggregate.

Valenti professes to be a bottom line guy. Black or white. If black and white is what we are talking about, it appears we have a collection of stupid asses. Do we want stupid?

If black and white is what we are talking about, it appears we have a collection of stupid asses. Do we want stupid?
    The one silver lining in all of these arrests [[if there is such a thing) is that these were young men who have yet to fully mature emotionally. I'd much rather have them "get it out of their system" now. Like thruster, I'm not excusing what they've done but I do understand how young people can make stupid mistakes. We all have.

I'm thankful that it wasn't anything more serious than what they've done. I sincerely hope that they've learned their lessons from those mishaps. It very well could've been something much more catastrophic where they hurt themselves or even worse, hurt someone else.

I'm also hoping that once this team gets together again the veterans will sit them all down and have the heart-to-heart talk to these young offenders. Guys like Burleson and VandenBosch have been around the block before and can hopefully talk some sense into these guys. They seem genuine in wanting these young guys to have a long and fruitful career. As long as these guys are together it seems as though there's a brotherhood that watches out for one another and fewer things like this happen. These offenders need a big brother, a mentor or someone to take them to one side and just talk sense into them. They conceivably can irreparably harm their careers, hurt someone else, or do so much more harm if they're not going to be talked to... and soon. It seems as though all of these incidents have happened on their ways home or away from the collective team. The team needs to reign them in and talk some sense to them- not just for the team but the men's lives long term as well.

I wish that there was some way the Lions team can have some more punitive measures to persuade others from thinking of doing stupid acts like this but it seems as though the union talks, collective bargaining agreements and other pacts prevent teams from issuing their own forms of punishment. Even the amounts of the fines and durations are limited by the League. Now I'm not at all condoning a handful of the senior members of the team take an offending player out back, toss a blanket over their head and beat them with kielbasas but I really wish that the team can do more to help manage these people- even when it comes to discipline. Beyond the outright releasing of a player the teams themselves seem handcuffed as to doling out any sort of punishment or fines.

I just hope that this team can corral these offenders and their bone headed actions in before we lose any and all discipline within the team. The team needs discipline but off the field, the team seems toothless to do much. I hope that the brain trust has had some one-on-one talks with these young men as well as having some of the veterans address the team as well. Talk- it seems as though that's all we can do to help these guys now as the season slowly approaches. Talk, and lots of hope that they're incidents in the past never to be repeated again.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    We are going to find out if this team is a flash in the pan or a long time winner. It all depends on the front office.
    Optimistically and realistically I think this team has a window of opportunity as long as the likes of Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford and Ndamakong Suh can stick around. They're the cornerstones of this team. Calvin Johnson seems locked in for the length of his career. When the next set of contracts come up and we're hitting our heads on the ceiling cap we could start losing key cogs to our machine. Getting to a winning attitude with this team has been a worthwhile goal and it seems to have been set in place with the last few years. Winning the Super Bowl [[there, I said it) and even maintaining a long term winning team in this day and age of league parity will be a challenge for any professional sports team's management.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Some solace for the big guy himself:
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...with_dick.html
    Thanks for the link. Last season I always felt as though Tom was the 12th guy in the field with them. I really wish he was around to help us dissect a winning team. For too many long years Tom had to deal with following such a decrepit team. He did it with such due diligence and professionalism though. In so many ways he had it probably tougher than any beat guy in the NFL. I'm sure reporting on winning teams was a lot more fun and a lot easier to get good sound bytes from. Tom deserved a medal of honor for the time he spent in the trenches with this team. And more times than not, this team wasn't getting out of that trench either.

As much as we fans suffered, he was in the locker room with the team before and sadly after the games too. I never felt as though he had to sugar coat the news either. He was never a Ford Family slappie either. He was the witness to the team's trials and tribulations over the years. He bridged the gap for us fans; Tom brought us closer to the team we all followed. And while there are still some very capable reporters for this team, none will have the personality, fun, knowledge and wit of Tom Kowalski.

For all of those knuckleheads who've run afoul with the law recently- take a page out of your quarterback's playbook:

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/0...eback-athlete/

It was pretty sweet to hear him put Detroit on his back with his speech and heap some praise to the area. Way to represent!

Congrats on the award and hope Stafford stays healthy.
    Also I appreciate his message about Detroit

With training camp not that far off three things concern me right now:

1) Jahvid Best still hasn't been cleared for contact. So unless the NFL suddenly decides to go for flag football- is he going to be ready to be a contributor to this Lions team?

2) The team's first round draft pick still has yet to be signed. Reilly Reiff needs to get inked, paid and into camp to soak it all in if he's going to make a push to being in the line-up soon.

3) The Lions have re-signed their coach Jim Schwartz to a new contract- but why no terms? I don't need to know the amount. I just want the terms. Is he on for two more years? Three more years? What's the Ford's commitment to him? And why the secrecy???

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    With training camp not that far off three things concern me right now:
    1. There is little hope for Best contributing this or anyother year
    2. I think Reiff signed today
    3. Lions are all about being secret

Berry was just waived, now trade Fairley

Even if Best is cleared to play this year he is one more concussion away from retirement. Essentially he is done. With his history of concussions the next one will more likely happen sooner rather than later.

Reiff did sign and will report shortly.

The Lions... like most professional organizations makes the example of the undrafted free agent who even though he starts can be replaced, rather than the 1st round draft pick

Culbreath waived, which now means 3 arrests are gone. Signed ex Lion Jon Scott to take his place. Good move.
    Now try and trade Fairley before its to late. Its just a matter of time before he and LeShoure screw up again.

Culbreath waived, which now means 3 arrests are gone. Signed ex Lion Jon Scott to take his place. Good move.
    Now try and trade Fairley before its to late. Its just a matter of time before he and LeShoure screw up again.
    Fairley and LeShoure are not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Fairley and LeShoure are not going anywhere.
    Both are one screw up from jail.

Both are one screw up from jail.
    That's over. It's all about Football now.

Best is bad, Avril unsigned, Fairley will be gone for a third to half the season between injuries and being stupid, Berry was booted, Delmas is wounded, Tuloch is limping, Bachcus has a broken thumb, Leshoure is suspend for two games, and ... and ... and ... the Madden Curse hangs over Calvin's head.

I ain't predicting until the full roster is complete, which means after pre-season; but if I was to make a wild-hair-don't-throw-this-in-my-face-later prediction: 4 and 12

Best is bad, Avril unsigned, Fairley will be gone for a third to half the season between injuries and being stupid, Berry was booted, Delmas is wounded, Tuloch is limping, Bachcus has a broken thumb, Leshoure is suspend for two games, and ... and ... and ... the Madden Curse hangs over Calvin's head.

I ain't predicting until the full roster is complete, which means after pre-season; but if I was to make a wild-hair-don't-throw-this-in-my-face-later prediction: 4 and 12

Is this the same gnome that was brimming with super accurate psychic optimistic calls last year? Yeah I get that the Lions didn't make many serious upgrades to their roster and there have been some sophomoric idiocy off the field but 4-12? Damn. I'm not gonna have to buoy a pessimistic gnome all season now, am I? Is this residual Millen seasonings here?

4-12 is on record for gnome.
    If Stafford stays healthy then we are at least .500
    Defense is a challange for us no doubt.
    Fairley, please grow up

4-12 is NOT on the record. there is NO record. don't do that, kenp. no no no. I'm just expressing my feelings now - before any pre-season games are even played - they have time to iron this stuff out; but right now I'm worried.

"I ain't predicting until the full roster is complete, which means after pre-season; but if I was to make a wild-hair-don't-throw-this-in-my-face-later prediction: 4 and 12"

Thruster, I'm seeing things I don't like, that won't lead to winning season, and expressing my angst. Kenp is rubbing my nose in wild hairs.

I'm filing a complaint with the Commissioner.

Avril signed today!
    I guess Gnome is right, clear the record.
    But if they do go 4-12 dont say, "I told you so"

4-12 is NOT on the record. there is NO record. don't do that, kenp. no no no. I'm just expressing my feelings now - before any pre-season games are even played - they have time to iron this stuff out; but right now I'm worried.

"I ain't predicting until the full roster is complete, which means after pre-season; but if I was to make a wild-hair-don't-throw-this-in-my-face-later prediction: 4 and 12"

Thruster, I'm seeing things I don't like, that won't lead to winning season, and expressing my angst. Kenp is rubbing my nose in wild hairs.

I'm filing a complaint with the Commissioner.

I haven't seen the gauntlet thrown down yet with regards to calling for predictions yet so no worries. We won't ask you to tattoo the numbers 4-12 anywhere on your body just yet. it won't be set in stone anytime soon but I'm sure we'll be asking soon enough for yours and everyone else's bold ass predictions [[Commissioner Smogboy, where are ya?).

And I agree with you that there are some concerns with this team; running back being of major importance to me. Jahvid Best, we love the enthusiasm but is it really worth it? And is Kevin Smith really the answer? Another super enthusiastic dude but are they talented enough? LeShure could be a part of the solution but he needs to keep his head on straight and stop with the herbage.

Friday we'll get a look at some Lions football again but pre-season football is about as exciting as beige wallpaper. We might be able to make some more edujamakated guesses as to some of the rookies and back-ups there. I'm starting to fester up some numbers to my bold ass prediction too but I need to see some folks play.

Fret not, gnome. We know you'll be good for some solid predictions, a few re-adjustments of the Miss Cleo turban, and a few rants as the season comes upon us. We all will- and that's the fun of this thread.

Leshoure has potential to be, "the guy". He has speed, power and is a very good athlete. I see him being a 1000 yard rusher.
    Unfortunaltey the guy is an idiot and I suspect when not causing problems he will be hurt a lot.
    We all know Best is a 3rd down or specialty back and Kevin Smith is a tough hard runner but undersized and always hurt. If Leshoure is the answer then the others can fill in on certain situations and all of a sudden our running game is great.
    Or, Leshoure plays little, Best plays 2 games and gets hurt and Smith starts out strong but by game 4 he is so beat up the rest of the year is off and on with him.

Before he even has on practice Delmas has knee surgery.
    Dont know the specifics but wouldnt you think this could have been addressed earlier

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast