Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13

You want to laugh at yourselves? Go to the first page of this thread. I actually predicted the Lions would be hosting a home playoff game and that it would blowup downtown. The game would mean hotel rooms would be overbooked and conflict with the Autoshow.

i also predicted Green Bay would be decimated and the NFC North was facing a wholesale change is Top Dog status.

Like I said I am usually with you when it comes to un-named sources. But you can look at the team and how they played and come to the conclusion that there are some truths to his statements. I don't like the way they were made but if you are a current player can you really blame him for not going public. Besides the Ford family has the same concerns and that was documented.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Like I said I am usually with you when it comes to un-named sources. But you can look at the team and how they played and come to the conclusion that there are some truths to his statements. I don't like the way they were made but if you are a current player can you really blame him for not going public. Besides the Ford family has the same concerns and that was documented.
    Draw the truths from the games and actions themselves.

The origin of those comments, whether they're from some spineless player or some fabrication of the supposed journalist should never have been aired. It does no one any good. It doesn't serve the player- it hurts his team. It doesn't help the journalist- because he can't find any way to back up his facts. And it sure as hell doesn't serve us the fans any good either other than to rile us up.

Now if the Fords want to go on record and say that I would gladly applaud that. Accept some of the responsibility as ownership and management... we fans would actually like to see and hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Now if the Fords want to go on record and say that I would gladly applaud that. Accept some of the responsibility as ownership and management... we fans would actually like to see and hear that.
    I would too, but it's been 50 years. Why would they start this now?

Okay folks here we go. Here's the list of free agents that the Lions have to contend with in the off season.

Take a look. Some we'll want to keep. Some we'll gladly show the door to. Do understand the salary cap is not going to be kind to us [[we'll hope and pray that Stafford will be so kind to re-structure his contract to help give us some more cap space). See which ones you'd like to keep and justify why you want to keep them- if just for depth or developmental purposes.

It's your chance to step into Martin Mayhew's shoes. I'd also be willing to entertain lively discussion on perhaps even waiving some veterans such as Raiola, Backus, and/ or VandenBosch if it'll help the team in the long run. But if one does that, who are we going to get to replace them- and more importantly is it an upgrade?

What about other players that we do have under contract but might not be worthwhile keeping such as Jahvid Best [[such a shame) and Titus Young [[such an idiot)

Try to keep in mind the upcoming draft too. Is there a particular position or player that you think we should target in the first few rounds. Keep in mind we don't have a fourth round pick this year.

Personally I don't think that there is anyone on this team that is untouchable. So as acting DetroitYes Lions general manager- let's have at it and talk up how you would shake down this team for next year.

So please take a few moments to go over the list and discuss!

Unrestricted free agents [[22)
    DE Cliff Avril
    T Gosder Cherilus
    S Louis Delmas
    LB Justin Durant
    CB Drayton Florence
    DT Andre Fluellen
    DE Dylan Gandy
    K Jason Hanson
    P Nick Harris
    TE Will Heller
    DT Sammie Hill
    T Corey Hilliard
    CB Chris Houston
    DE Lawrence Jackson
    CB Jacob Lacey
    CB Pat Lee
    LB DeAndre Levy
    KR Stefan Logan
    LS Don Muhlbach
    WR Kassim Osgood
    RB Kevin Smith
    DT Corey Williams

Restricted free agents [[3)
    T Jason Fox
    S Amari Spievey
    DE Willie Young

Exclusive rights free agents [[5)
    RB Joique Bell
    FB Shaun Chapas
    WR Kris Durham
    S Ricardo Silva
    DT Jimmy Saddler-McQueen

[[and before anyone asks, I guess I'll be starting the 2013 Detroit Lions thread before long)

Smoggy,

I've always appreciated your posts here but do you think we should start the free agency/ draft talk on your upcoming 2013 Lions thread seeing as how the 2012 team have already pooped the bed and left the building already?

Anyone else's thoughts on this??

lets start the 2013 thread the sooner the start the quicker the bad taste from 2012 goes away

Before the Commissioner closes this thread, we have some housekeeping to attend to.

I believe that traditions are important and last year we had nominations for Most Valuable Poster and the Golden Picker.

For MVP, I feel Thruster315 deserves the nomination for keeping our spirits up and focused on the positive. It was a thankless season, Thruster made the best of the worst.

Can I get a Second?

I will second that! Thruster always kept things in perspective.

I gave up after the opening kickoff to the Vikings

Thruster gets my vote !

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I will second that! Thruster always kept things in perspective.

Cut it out, cut it out! You're liable to make a grown man blush here.

But seriously I'd like to thank the members of the Academy, my family, my friends....

I do try to keep things in perspective. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool fan; I'll admit it. But like so many members of this board we can also be critical of this team and not get swept up in an upswell of emotion. We discuss. We have observations. We have suggestions [[not that any of us think Mayhew or Schwartz reads any of this). And quite frankly we can disagree until monkeys fly out of our collective asses.

It was extremely frustrating to watch this team at times. I'm thankful I wear lace-up shoes on Sunday because if not I would've been liable to heave a loafer at the flat screen. But I'd much rather discuss, bitch, and cheer for this Lions team with my Dyes friends than any other NFL team around.

A well-deserved honor, congratulations.

mr. Commissioner, with no objections I move to Close this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A well-deserved honor, congratulations.

mr. Commissioner, with no objections I move to Close this thread.

Consider it done. 2012 has lapsed and we'll move forward.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13