Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I am beginning to think that Schwartz might not be the guy to lead the Lions to the promise land. I see the same things week after week, the team is undisciplined, which is a reflection of the coaching staff, the defensive backfield tackles worst than Pop Warner players, I get tired of them sticking arms or shoulders into people thinking they are going to bring a good back or receiver down.
    This tackling can be said of many a Lions team, not just the Schwartz led Lions. This seems like a chronic issue with this team at times or is it just with the defensive backfield not named Delmas?

Again my pet peeve Pettigrew is no better than a back-up blocking tight end yet they still throw to him in key situations.
    The boy is 6'5" and has been known to haul in a few key snags. I'll grant you that he needs to be better- much better, but today when he got stripped of the ball- I'm willing to concede some skill to the defender too. It was a dogfight and Pettigrew came up on the short side.

Schwartz has made T Young into his whipping boy, but there are others he needs to hold accountable and seemingly he isn't.
    Now I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Titus Young made himself a whipping boy. His actions aren't just one time deals either. His sissy ass hit on Delmas in the off season and his selfish play that garnered this latest suspension falls solely on his immature shoulders. Schwartz, Jefferson nor Linehan are responsible for any of that crap. If anything, Young put his own stupid ass in the doghouse.

He needs to definitely be on the hot seat in 2013
    Yep. Schwartz needs to show some improvement with this team. He's been given some tools to make some noise and while I'm thankful we've improved somewhat- this year the progress has not been there. Improving from 0-16 is easy. Getting to the playoffs was damn nice. But we need to step it up to the next level now. Honeymoon's over.

Great points Thruster and I think we are generally on the same page. I just think that 1) Pettigrew is not a first string receiving tight end on a serious playoff team. He's better suited as a blocking tight end. I have more faith in Scheffler and even Heller when he's healthy in terms of receiving. The guy just drops too many balls and I am not including his fumbles.

2) I agree that T Young is hard headed and has created his own problems but I think the coaching staff has created a culture that leads to this being an undisciplined team. Young has just carried it to an extreme.

I look at Harbaugh and what he has done with a team that was a lot like the Lions and I see Schwartz coming up short.

Schwartz cost us the game with that asshat of a red flag toss. Pettigrew has hands of stone and legs of goo. That guy goes to the turf fast when he is touched by tiny opponents.

this season is turning - or has turned - to ashes.

I really liked Schwartz until his reaction to Harbough's gross arrogance last year when he let his inner anger show through. Now this latest slip of righteous temper on Thursday threw the game. I still like him but have reservations.
    On a different note I feel I get conned every year by the local Sports Reporters that tell me we have fabulous players [[probably because that's what I want to hear). The Lions are always great at practicing and individually they are world beaters before the Season starts; but then shit happens, and for whatever reasons they start losing on a regular basis. I think the Reporters make glowing reports on the individual players at the start of every season because if they told the truth they wouldn't get another interview with them and they'd be out of a job. So next year I won't believe them and hope I will be wrong again.

After watching the Lions for years I've decided to switch them off from now on if Suh is on the roster. Do the Lions really want to condone his behavior on and off the field?
    Last edited by coracle; November-27-12 at 06:58 AM.

The silence on this thread is deafening. Can't wait for Sunday night where a national audience will see the Lions find yet another way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I think we are all grieving for all the seasons gone, for all the hopes crushed, for all the dreams deferred.

it takes two and even three days to recover emotionally from these loses.

the whole season is gone. We are again playing for nothing but draft position and pride.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I think we are all grieving for all the seasons gone, for all the hopes crushed, for all the dreams deferred.

it takes two and even three days to recover emotionally from these loses.

the whole season is gone. We are again playing for nothing but draft position and pride.

Especially since the last few losses where it was soooo close. I will admit, as staunch of a fan as I am, I'm even in disbelief. I still have faith as a fan but it's tough to see an emerging team take strides back. I know last year's record buoyed many of us and possibly over promised. but looking back at things, we snatched a few of those games that we should've lost and this is the year, we lost a few of those games.

In essence we're leveling off to what we truly are- a still young and emerging team that still hasn't put it all together just yet. We wanted some immediacy this year and have had our hopes dashed a bit. Losing this many in a row has put a damper on all of us but I'll still cheer for this team to do well.

Also with the holidays and family happenings, it's easier to focus on those things and be distracted that way as opposed to cheering for our Lions.

First quarter of the Green Bay game- who are those guys in the Honolulu Blue & Silver? If this keeps up I say we tear off the dome to Ford Field and let those guys play in the lousy weather all the time.

[[Still plenty of game to be played so who knows what can happen)

+22 minutes of possession in the first half? You'd think we'd be up by a ton, but this is the Lions playing at Lambeau. We have a lead. Now let's see if we can hang onto that ball and not self destruct in the second half.

Third quarter tied. Finish or be finished.

It's going back and forth. Neither team seems to really wants to go for the kill shot just yet.

Four quarters- the first two went okay. Third was a wash and then the fourth, our offense took a powder. Not sure if it was just Aaron Rodgers imposing his will on us or the Lambeau Curse still rearing its ugly ass all over us. It was almost like we swapped out running games at the half. The Lions took it to them in the first and then the Pack took over in the second. Even the onside kick spun itself out to drive the nail home.

The one thing we can shoot for now is CJ busting up Jerry Rice's record now.

Yep ! CJ breaking the record, that's about all we have to look forward to oh yeah MS breaking the record for most passes attempted, that is unless his arm falls off first. Hopefully Schwartz will be officially put on the clock after this season.

Hopefully Schwartz will be officially put on the clock after this season.
    As much as I still have faith in the guy, I say Schwartz is on the clock NOW. While I believe he's a bright young emerging head coach, he's still trying to figure things out on the fly. Unfortunately in the NFL there isn't that sort of trial period any more. Victories are too damn tough to come by.

I want to see how Schwartz finishes out this season. I'd love it if he could somehow steal a game away with some cunning and smart gamesmanship. I want to see him hold this team together and motivate them. Just because this team has been reduced to the role of spoiler doesn't take Schwartz or any of the other players off the hook.

The Stafford fumble is the perfect metaphor for this season.

It slipped from our grasp and -initially- we didn't notice.

A costly 15 yard penalty for dancing. Dude, you're 4-8, 0 for 20 years in Wisconsin, and you're dancing??? I think the lack of discipline is the problem with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    A costly 15 yard penalty for dancing. Dude, you're 4-8, 0 for 20 years in Wisconsin, and you're dancing??? I think the lack of discipline is the problem with this team.
    Discipline on and off field is a big problem for this team and I hold the coaching staff responsible especially for the on field stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I wouldn't have an issue with the Lions dancing in the end zone if they'd also toss the hanky for the Packers doing the Lambeau Leap. Why the hell can they celebrate after they score and we can't? Where's the justice in that?? The Pack can hoot, holler, jump into the stands in front of an opponent, and it's somehow grandfathered in as acceptable??

There are plenty of things to nit pick about the game but this particular 15 yard penalty didn't cost us the game.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Well here’s what I’ve got for the predictions so far:

The Professionals:
    Dave Birkett [[Freep): 10-6
    Carlos Monarrez [[Freep): 11-5
    Jeff Seidel [[Freep): 10-6
    Drew Sharp [[Freep): 8-8
    Anwar Richardson [[MLive): 10-6
    Justin Rogers [[MLive): 10-6
    JOSH KATZENSTEIN [[Detroit News) : 10-6
    BUCKY BROOKS [[NFL.com): 8-8
    DANIEL JEREMIAH [[NFL.com): 9-7
    ADAM SCHEIN [[NFL.com): 8-8
    STAVE WYCHE [[NFL.com): 9-7
    DAVE DYE [[FoxSportsDetroit.com): 11-5
    DEAN HOLDEN [[BleacherReport.com): 11-5

The DYes cast of characters and part time psychics:
    Gnome: 12-4 [[and a bold prediction I’ll toss cookies during the Jags game.)
    Kenp: 10-6
    Thruster315: 9-7
    GUSHI: 11-5
    Big dog: 8-8
    GOAT: 7-9

...and my prediction of 10-6.
    As sad sack as this is, Goat's the only one still on the board for being correct with the pre-season picks. Granted the Lions will have to run the table but he's the last man standing with as so much a flea's sneeze chance of making the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I wouldn't have an issue with the Lions dancing in the end zone if they'd also toss the hanky for the Packers doing the Lambeau Leap. Why the hell can they celebrate after they score and we can't? Where's the justice in that?? The Pack can hoot, holler, jump into the stands in front of an opponent, and it's somehow grandfathered in as acceptable??

There are plenty of things to nit pick about the game but this particular 15 yard penalty didn't cost us the game.

I believe the rule is you can't have multiple players celebrating in the end zone. One player jumping into the stands doesn't break the rule. My point is the Packers have earned the right to celebrate with their record. They don't do stupid things in games. The Lions lack discipline. The Titus Young thing went way too far, and he's still technically on the team. I think we need a task master to run the show here. Right now the lunatics are running the asylum.

The celebration penalty was bs. Joke Bell made himself look like a freaking idiot. While he's been one of the few bright spots this season, he should have known the rules and not done what he did.

While I liked the June Taylor high jinks last year, this year it looks stupid. A preening loser is a peen. That goes for the random CB who does the funky chicken after making a tackle 17 yards downfield, and the Slot who catches his first touchdown of the season 12 games into it.

jeeze, kids wtf has this year been all about? What have we learned? That the front office has drafted a series of head cases? That Schwartz is a punk?

I haven't posted much because there really hasn't been anything to post all about most of this year. We have sen the true Lions this year [[not last).

I say this because our draft picks of the last couple of years really did squat all. Most haven't panned out and the ones still here are mediocre on a good day [[except Fairley).

The NFL has been able to adapt to our offense while Linehan hasn't been able to figure out how to beat the other teams [[except 4). The defense is middle of the pack which is exceptional considering we have no back-field whatsoever. Other than Houston [[who is average), who do we keep? Thats right...no one! Delmas is average, if he plays, and the others are 2nd string at best! Yet everyone calls for Gunther's head. I don't get it.

7-9? Even that was giving them credit. Becaue there is no way they are winning the last 3 games. Hell, even Arizona might give them hell next week because of the 9 loss skid and the shelling they took last week. I wouldn't be surprised if we played down to their level and lost.

So with 7-9...Chuck, what do I win? lol

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I haven't posted much because there really hasn't been anything to post all about most of this year. We have sen the true Lions this year [[not last).
    Personally I think we're somewhere between. We shouldn't have won so many games last year and quite honestly I don't think we should be losing as many games as we have this year. But that being said, we're still a middle of the pack team. We were all blinded by the victories last year and thought that just maybe this team had turned the corner. We all bought into the fact that just maybe this team was trending upward.

I say this because our draft picks of the last couple of years really did squat all. Most haven't panned out and the ones still here are mediocre on a good day [[except Fairley).
    if anything, the 2012 pick was some arrogance happening. We still should be drafting for need. Every team has needs and I think that every first rounder should be an impact player, if not starter. Now Reilly Reiff could still turn out to be the offensive anchor for years to come so I'm not about to wash him out just yet. The first round picks for Mayhew have been good, but it's really becoming apparent that a good GM gets ranked by his third round picks and beyond. To that note- Martin Mayhew has not delivered.

The NFL has been able to adapt to our offense while Linehan hasn't been able to figure out how to beat the other teams [[except 4). The defense is middle of the pack which is exceptional considering we have no back-field whatsoever. Other than Houston [[who is average), who do we keep? Thats right...no one! Delmas is average, if he plays, and the others are 2nd string at best! Yet everyone calls for Gunther's head. I don't get it.
    I have no idea how Gunther Cunningham does it either. Outside of the front four doing some solid yeoman's work and the linebackers still holding up, the defense has been ravaged to the point where we're practically signing guys barely out of Pop Warner to patrol the corners.

7-9? Even that was giving them credit. Becaue there is no way they are winning the last 3 games. Hell, even Arizona might give them hell next week because of the 9 loss skid and the shelling they took last week. I wouldn't be surprised if we played down to their level and lost.
    Dear Lord, if Ryan Lindley beats us this Sunday, sports talk radio is going to explode. The few of us still on the bandwagon could be taping our ankles getting ready for the proverbial leap too.

You've more than earned the board's respect with your football prognostication skills. Now if you could help a few of us with choosing Power Ball lottery digits with such accuracy, it'd really be appreciated.

Let's hang in there, Lions faithful!

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    As sad sack as this is, Goat's the only one still on the board for being correct with the pre-season picks. Granted the Lions will have to run the table but he's the last man standing with as so much a flea's sneeze chance of making the right call.
    Crazier things have happened, thruster. Just when any of us are ready to write this team off, they pull one out of nowhere. But it's also very gratifying to know that at least someone on the DYes boards has better prediction skills than the so-called-expert pundits.

Not that gnome is going to mind, but you can have his Miss Cleo turban and my once accurate bunion. You obviously have far superior psychic abilities than the rest of us here.

Congrats, I think.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast