Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Canals - Far Eastside

I saw a thread about this posted a couple of years ago, wanted to find a new one. I've heard a few different people refer to that neighborhood as Beantown. Anyone else hear anything like that? Also, does anyone know why they were built in the first place? I'd like to see some old pictures, or hear some old stories about that neighborhood. It has always interested me.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    No sure on the history of the canals.. but I would like to see the entire city cut up by canals.Remove city streets and turn them into canals leading to the river. Go miles inland.Remake the entire city based on access to the great lakes. Venice of the north....
    Interesting idea but to put in all of that infastructure would be incredibly expensive. Your best bet would be to start by daylighting the Conner Creek and going in small segments like San Antonio.

It's an interesting area to drive through. I was born after it was at it's peak but it seems like it's an area that should still be booming, since it's just south of the Grosse Pointes, but sadly it's like the rest of the city.

I lived there in the '60s and 70s and I've never heard it referred to as Beantown...

From Connor Creek into GPP south of Jefferson was a swamp. The Fox Creek canal, now along Alter Rd. was always there before Europeans even arrived, but it did have a more meandering course originally. The canal around Harbor Island was part of the original path it took. I can see the attraction to keeping that natural canal-front property as the area developed.

You can see how it changed between 1878 and 1904.

Name:  Fox Cr 1878.jpg
Views: 8017
Size:  97.5 KB Name:  Fox Cr 1904.jpg
Views: 7277
Size:  49.1 KB

I believe the topography of Detroit would prevent inland canals. The city seems flat, but as you get close to the river [[south of Jefferson) there's a drop in elevation. Also the farther north you go, the higher the general elevation. So a canal at the river would be close to the street level... but by the time you got to say I-94, the canal would likely be 50 ft. below street level.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
    I lived there in the '60s and 70s and I've never heard it referred to as Beantown...

From Connor Creek into GPP south of Jefferson was a swamp. The Fox Creek canal, now along Alter Rd. was always there before Europeans even arrived, but it did have a more meandering course originally. The canal around Harbor Island was part of the original path it took. I can see the attraction to keeping that natural canal-front property as the area developed.

You can see how it changed between 1878 and 1904.

Name:  Fox Cr 1878.jpg
Views: 8017
Size:  97.5 KB Name:  Fox Cr 1904.jpg
Views: 7277
Size:  49.1 KB

RIght on. Thanks! I noticed a lot of the houses that directly butt up against the canals have boat houses. How cool is that? I wonder where that Beantown business originated from...

The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal was designed to cut across the state from Lake St. Claire to Lake Michigan using the existing Clinton and Kalamazoo Rivers. The plan fell through with the recession of the mid 1830's.

You still find remnants of the canal up in Utica. Canal Road is just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal was designed to cut across the state from Lake St. Claire to Lake Michigan using the existing Clinton and Kalamazoo Rivers. The plan fell through with the recession of the mid 1830's.

You still find remnants of the canal up in Utica. Canal Road is just one example.
    I agree. There are rivers that run through Detroit currently where the water drops naturally. In some cases you may need to use some simple old school canal engineering: Locks.

You do have to be realistic in what you want to accomplish. Besides dredging out areas, you will need to re-run water, sewer, gas, all sorts of things that are below ground. You will also have to be realistic about crossings. There will be fewer and bridges cost a lot more to maintain tha roadways. Currently there is little funding available to maintain just the roads.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-10-12 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Part of that canal [[I'm told) is viewable at the Bloomer State Park. [[If unfamiliar just follow John R until you can't go any further...it ends at the gate to the park) There are many nature hikes and whatnot, and is situated on the Clinton River. A cool place nonetheless, with WPA buildings from the 30's.

"RIght on. Thanks! I noticed a lot of the houses that directly butt up against the canals have boat houses. How cool is that? I wonder where that Beantown business originated from... "

Several of those boathouses are half garage, half boathouse, and can be extra long to accomodate a large water-craft. Some are constructed in a manner such that exiting your car from the driver's side, if not done carefully, could result in you taking a swim. Railings optional.

You will never, ever in this day and age get the necessary EPA and Corps of Engineers permits necessary to build a canal for residential purposes. Canal building was once very popular here in Florida [[take a swamp, dredge canals, use the dredging to fill up the land, and sell the waterfront property). That form of development is dead as a doornail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    You will never, ever in this day and age get the necessary EPA and Corps of Engineers permits necessary to build a canal for residential purposes. Canal building was once very popular here in Florida [[take a swamp, dredge canals, use the dredging to fill up the land, and sell the waterfront property). That form of development is dead as a doornail.
    The reason for its death in Florida is because these were screwing up the aquafers needed to sustain life. We have plent of fresh water in Michigan. We also have plenty of unused land that needs redevelopment. I am unsure why the Army Corps would care about a canal. They are mostly interested in mavigable bodies of water. Granted the arguement could be made that there is a small amount of pleasurecraft traffic on canals, but the same is true for local streets and I don't see US DOT getting involved in subdivision planning.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    No sure on the history of the canals.. but I would like to see the entire city cut up by canals.Remove city streets and turn them into canals leading to the river. Go miles inland.Remake the entire city based on access to the great lakes. Venice of the north....
    They were talking about hundreds of millions of dollars to run light rail. This would cost hundreds of billions

Anyone remember the creepy abandoned trailer park between angel park and that little lighthouse park. Ate a bad mushroom one time. Seen organized evil spew from that place

Quote Originally Posted by coloroflaw View Post
    I saw a thread about this posted a couple of years ago, wanted to find a new one. I've heard a few different people refer to that neighborhood as Beantown. Anyone else hear anything like that? Also, does anyone know why they were built in the first place? I'd like to see some old pictures, or hear some old stories about that neighborhood. It has always interested me.

Not Beantown The Cabbage Patch

The Cabbage Patch is in GPP, Wayburn to Nottingham, Jefferson to Mack.

The area is commonly referred to as Jeff/Chalmers neighborhood that would range from Lenox to Alter rd, never been called the Cabbage Patch as correctly stated above. I grew up on the foot of Chalmers a few houses up from the Harbor Island canal. If you really want to read up on its history google "village of Fairview" and also check out the thread "Paradise lost" which started out about the old trailer park but ended up covering topics of that broad area between Conner and Alter rd. It was a great place to grow up...

http://grossepointe.patch.com/column...-grosse-pointe

This one has some pearls of knowledge also...

Default History of Jeff/chalmers neighborhood

http://www.classicshoptalk.com/conte...ving-club.html

This is a well researched piece on the area. Enjoy!

http://www.motorcities.org/Story/The+Village+of+Fairview+and+the+Detroit+Driving+Cl ub+br++By+Nick+Sinacori-216.html

Last one I promise, this one gives a history behind several of the street names.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post

http://www.motorcities.org/Story/The+Village+of+Fairview+and+the+Detroit+Driving+Cl ub+br++By+Nick+Sinacori-216.html

Last one I promise, this one gives a history behind several of the street names.

Thanks, a lot. I really appreciate it. Cheers!

-Coloroflaw

The land surrounding Klenk Island and much of Detroit’s Far Lower Eastside was originally a great marsh called Le Grand Marais by the French. The marsh spanned nearly three miles along the Detroit River from Conner Creek to present day Cadiuex Road in Grosse Pointe. Le Grand Marais was a low, flat, marshy country with luxurious growth of wild grass. Fox Creek flowed through Le Grand Marais, but its point of origin was the Black Marsh, an area presently covered by St. Claire Shores, Harper Woods, and Grosse Pointe Woods. French and Native Americans navigated Fox Creek through Le Grand Marais to the Milk River in the Black Marsh to travel inward and north of the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair.

In 1808 the U.S. government fixed the boundaries of the original land claims or ribbon farms awarded years earlier by the King of France. The portion of land containing present day Klenk Island was granted to Jean Baptiste Aloire di Lapierre, an Indian trader. Ten years later in 1818, Governor Cass established the Township of Hamtramck containing Le Grand Marais. Then in 1848, the Township of Grosse Pointe was formed, reducing the size of Hamtramck Township and encompassing present day Jefferson-Chalmers.

As farmers began settling in Grosse Pointe Township, they began draining the Black Marsh with ditches, clearing the land for cultivation. An 1876 Wayne County Atlas indicates Jefferson Avenue skirted the north side of Le Grand Marais and the marshland was owned by C. and W. Moran. It was Mr. William Moran who first began geological surveying Le Grand Marias in 1874. He discovered under the wet marsh was a solid clay foundation. He concluded that the land could be reclaimed with proper drainage. He began building earthen dikes and draining the lands. Soon his neighbors followed suit. It is believed that primary drainage ditches were dug by oxen-driven plows, then windmills and pumps moved the marsh water through pipes set in lateral ditches and eventually into the Detroit River. In 1880, the Wayne County Drain Commission authorized and provided the funding for the drainage of the area surrounding Fox Creek and the conversion of the creek to a canal. View the maps below to see the progression from 1870-1940:

Name:  1876.jpg
Views: 7307
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  1904.jpg
Views: 7167
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  1917.jpg
Views: 7753
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  1921.jpg
Views: 7722
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  1937.jpg
Views: 7798
Size:  49.9 KB

Due to transportation difficulties and private toll bridges over the Connor and Fox Creek the recently drained Grand Marias saw little development in the late 1800’s. It wasn’t until Detroit and Grosse Pointe extended their street car lines and Mayor Hazen Pingree forced out the greedy toll collectors that the newly reclaimed land saw much development.

In 1903, the Village of Fairview, at the intersection of Jefferson Avenue and Chalmers, extending from the boarder of Detroit at St. Jean Street to Cadiuex Road in Grosse Pointe Township, was incorporated. Fairview was only around for four years until it was annexed by the City of Detroit due to concerns of illness and disease from the Village dumping sewage into the Fox Creek where it would flow down the Detroit River and into the Connor Creek water pumping station which serviced Detroit with drinking water. Detroit only annexed the eastern half of Fairview; the remaining half would become Grosse Pointe Park.

The 1900’s saw development of industry along Connor Creek and north of Jefferson Avenue. The following decade, the first recorded structures were built on Klenk Island. Ten boathouses were built on the island from 1911 to 1917, including some accessory structures. The boathouses were modest in size and form. It is assumed, due to there being no listings for Klenk Avenue, prior to 1920, in City of Detroit Polk Directories many of them were designated as summer or secondary homes for fishermen and boatmen.

My house, built in 1920, shares its modesty with the prior dwellings on the island. The roaring 20’s brought significant development to the surrounding neighborhood. With this development some 1920 era bungalows and prairie style homes were constructed on the island.

Prohibition during the 1930’s, the Fox Creek Canal system became a major navigable water route for bootleggers smuggling alcohol from Canada. With its long and straight canals, multiple access points, proximity to Canada and many boathouses, bootleggers could quickly motor in and out of the canal with illegal shipments. Today some evidence still exists from the bootlegging "trade."

That is all I got for now... but I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can. Oh and notice the formation of Greyhaven and the Riverside Parks, I would like to know where all this infill came from.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Oh and notice the formation of Greyhaven and the Riverside Parks, I would like to know where all this infill came from.
    Probably from dredging the canals and/or deepening the river.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Prohibition during the 1930’s, the Fox Creek Canal system became a major navigable water route for bootleggers smuggling alcohol from Canada. With its long and straight canals, multiple access points, proximity to Canada and many boathouses, bootleggers could quickly motor in and out of the canal with illegal shipments. Today some evidence still exists from the bootlegging "trade."

What kind of evidence still exists from the prohibition era? That is so cool!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast