Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Made in Detroit TV's?

DETROIT , Jan. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Element Electronics proudly announces the grand opening and initial production of its new flat screen TV factory in Detroit , Michigan. With production scheduled to begin in March 2012 , Element Electronics will be the only TV company assembling TV's in the United States.

Link below

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/element-electronics-america-matters-170000727.html

What? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    DETROIT , Jan. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Element Electronics proudly announces the grand opening and initial production of its new flat screen TV factory in Detroit , Michigan. With production scheduled to begin in March 2012 , Element Electronics will be the only TV company assembling TV's in the United States.

Link below

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/element-electronics-america-matters-170000727.html

What? Where?
    After reading the article that is my exact question. Where is this factory?

This is a great find. Couldn't see any info on a quick google search of the factory location. The article does say "just outside of Detroit, Michigan." Their webpage, elementelectronics.com, does have a Detroit Factory section set up under the "products" icon. Anyone seen their products in the listed stores?
    Last edited by 401don; January-10-12 at 02:09 PM.

Looks like their sold @ Costco.

I'm don't need a new T.V. today but when I am [[and if they come) Element
    will get preference on my list. Even if it's on par with the crappy Vizio products.

Looks like they are filing paper work in Michigan [[
    www.michigan.gov)

this is great news and will, for sure, pass it on to family and friends!

I find this very encouraging! I don't know much about the company, or electronics in general, but I do know that when I get rid of my outdated T.V. this spring I will be looking into them.

Does anyone know the quality of there product? Good? Bad?

The article sounds like the company will be "outside Detroit", I wish they would be in Detroit, but still brining jobs to the area is very good.

i suspect it might be on that i-275 corridor. no knowledge of it, just a gut feeling

hopefully they will be announcing for local hiring...

An address for Element Electronics from a warranty PDF on their website.
    6880 Commerce Blvd., Canton, MI 48187

cool, i was right

So new, there isn't even a webpage for it yet:

http://www.elementelectronics.com/coming-soon

This is awesome! More jobs, diversifying our base, but building on what we already do. I'm a big believer of knowing who butters my bread. Any jobs anywhere in the region that are truely new jobs is a huge win.

The added bonus is the old Zenith is starting to give up the ghost and I need to replace it. Looks like I'm getting a Michigan made TV at a competitive price!!!

Mixed reviews, but one of the reasons cited for bringing production here is to improve quality. http://www.target.com/p/Element-55-C...ws-and-ratings
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-10-12 at 09:01 PM.

What struck me as odd when I saw this was that this was flying so under the radar and yet they claim they will start production in March? The facility must be ready!

FYI, I first came across the news on Daily Kos.

Maybe production start will be delayed a couple of months which would not be unusual with any new facility. As I stated, the website does list "Assembled in Detroit" under products.

Is "imported from Detroit" trademark protected by Chrysler?

I don't believe they were able to keep 'em from making and selling sweatshirts last year.

As for this, I'm curious. If they can succeed with video, then audio shouldn't be any trouble. The video marketplace is way more difficult to break into...but they have the best opening line. Made in America.

If this makes any dent, you can bet Vizio won't be far behind.

Last US-made televisions that I am aware of were from Sony, and they actually made the tubes from glass purified across the street at a Corning plant. They closed a decade ago.

Biggest portion of any television is the display...I cannot imagine that they are producing the panels here. It would be a huge deal to begin LCD panel manufacturing within our shores...I don't think they've ever been made here beyond the research labs. Although there is one supplier in Toledo that Revox used to buy their plasma panels from that is a huge military display maker...

It begs investigation...

Cheers,
    John

It's about time. Besides making chitty, chitty, bang bangs and 19th Century stoves. Detroit can get into the flat screen TV business. Made in the USA instead of Japan, China or Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Biggest portion of any television is the display...I cannot imagine that they are producing the panels here. It would be a huge deal to begin LCD panel manufacturing within our shores...I don't think they've ever been made here beyond the research labs. Although there is one supplier in Toledo that Revox used to buy their plasma panels from that is a huge military display maker...
    Only a handful of companies make the actual panels. I think the list is down to LG, Acer, Matsushita [[Panasonic), Samsung, NEC, and a few others. All are made in China, Japan or Taiwan.

There are a couple of specialty manufacturers that make panels in the US, but they are low-volume special application panels, such as for medical imaging, military, etc...

Here is the company listed at that address. They seem to be a partner.

http://www.licus.com/consumer.htm

"Assembled in Detroit" [[area), I guess.

Also means not too many jobs for city-folk. Not like they couldn't have got a building [[or two) for free in the city somewhere.
    Last edited by Meddle; January-11-12 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    So new, there isn't even a webpage for it yet:

http://www.elementelectronics.com/coming-soon
    Website looks to be working just fine: http://www.elementelectronics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by thredmission View Post
    Website looks to be working just fine: http://www.elementelectronics.com/
    Go to the Products tab, and try "Assembled In Detroit"

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    "Assembled in Detroit" [[area), I guess.

Also means not too many jobs for city-folk. Not like they couldn't have got a building [[or two) for free in the city somewhere.
    Buying a building in the suburbs as opposed to getting one for free in the city: $250,000.

Not having to deal with city of Detroit Bureaucracy: Priceless.

i just worked on a display video for this company to be shown at the Hong Kong Electronics show.

the company was started by a south-east michigan man back in the 80's i believe.
    what they currently do is process all north-american warranty work for plat panels screens from your big box stores. [[all brands)

they have about 20 employees total including execs here in michigan. as posted above. there are only 3 or 4 builders of all flat-panel screens in the world and all the brands buy them to use in their sets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast