Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Taking a dog to the vet.

My dogs vet has a package deal for $430 for the year that includes the following:

Two physical examinations.
    Three year Rabies shot.
    Leptospirosis & bordetella shots.
    Annual Heartworm blood test
    Annual blood screen profile
    Two poop checks for parisites.
    Two oral strategic dewormings.
    12 month supply of heartworm, flea and parasite prevention.

Does anyone know if this is a good deal for a 1.5 year old cockapoo or would I be paying for some test that my dog really doesn't need?
    Thanks for any help/suggestions.

That's what I have for my dog as well. All the items are things that it is great to have to make sure your dog stays healthy. As to the price, how much does the vet charge per visit if you need something like a health certificate so she can stay in the kennel, WITHOUT the package deal? The flea and tick and heartworm things are pretty much needed these days. Heartworm is definitely here.

I just went through my dogs vet bills from June '05 with a grand total of $583.00. This includes physical exams, necessary vaccines, bloodwork, etc and a tube of cleaning solution for her ears. I started saving about $20. a year on the heartworm [[interceptor) several years ago by going with 1-800-petmeds. I don't know why your dog would need two physicals a year unless something is wrong with him/her. and, i have no idea what "oral strategic deworming" is. my dog is a healthy, energetic, slightly overweight 8 year old shitzu/maltese.

I emailed the breeder that I purchased my dog from and this was her response to my question about shots and other tests.

"If Jack has had fleas at all, I would take a stool sample in. I would get his annual 6 way shot and his rabies shot and that would be all.

As a breeder we do eye exams and a few other tests but that is because we do not want to pass on hereditary things that may not show up until a dog is 2 or 3. However, as an pet owner if it did show up, you would not get rid of your dog anyway. So, I see no need of doing all these annual tests when there is nothing you can do to prevent the condition that most likely will never appear and would not change you mind about your dog if it did. Hope this makes sense to you."

And you took the word of a "breeder"? Did she "forget" to recommend the Heartworm meds??? That's something you don't want to wait for it to "show up". Her quote..."However, as an pet owner if it did show up, you would not get rid of your dog anyway." That's a very serious and incorrect assumption as studies have shown time and time again that the majority of pet owners put a mental "limit" on how much they'll spend on their pets medical care at about $500. Our rescue is glad we don't fall into that catagory.

Do the shots, heartworm meds, and maybe one physical a year but the rest can be addressed through you knowing your dog and how he/she is functioning.

No, I asked her specifically about shots and annual tests.
    She mentioned heartworm in another part of her response that I didn't post.

So, counting the cost of one physical, all the required shots, heartworm test, heartworm meds and flea preventive, how much are you going to save by just going commando as opposed to getting the program? If your dog spends time in kennels or goes to Canada with you, she has to have a health certificate. Some require a fecal check within six weeks. That could be an additional expense.

It would be good to compare the $430 package you were quoted with the cost of the same services a la carte.

I would not think a 1.5 YO dog would need more than one physical exam [["well care") per year. Nor would a blood screen profile be recommended until the dog reaches middle age.

Make sure your pet receives a DHLPP vaccination. You have already mentioned the L [[leptospirosis) but not the D [[distemper), H [[canine hepatitis), P [[parainfluenza), or P [[parvo).

Your pet needs a certificate of current rabies vaccination to enter Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    So, counting the cost of one physical, all the required shots, heartworm test, heartworm meds and flea preventive, how much are you going to save by just going commando as opposed to getting the program? If your dog spends time in kennels or goes to Canada with you, she has to have a health certificate. Some require a fecal check within six weeks. That could be an additional expense.
    I stopped in at a few other vets and their prices aren't substanially lower than the one I listed above. The money I would save doesn't outway the short walk it takes me to go to my current vet.

If I were to eliminate some of the things out of the package mentioned in Crystal's post it would probably come to the same price if I paid individually, maybe just a little bit less.

You could also check into buying pet insurance that would cover all or almost all of the preventive care.

I just want to add a hearty bravo for taking good care of your pet!

Check out Long Lake Veterinary, in Troy. We take our pets there. He is very reasonable.

Photo essay:
    "One Day in the Life of a Veterinarian"
    www.efn.org/~hkrieger/vet.htm

Herman, that's a great photo essay! Thanks for sharing.