Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default This would be cool in Detroit

My Wife & I were in St Louis over the holidays , we took the time to check out the "City Museum" . Really not a museum at all , more of a art inspired Habitrail for children as well as adults .
    Something like this would be a great fit in Detroit , plenty of vacant buildings & I would assume not terribly expensive to build . They use plenty of scrap, reclaimed architectural artifacts , wood & metal . Kind of like a Tim Burton McDonalds play place ....

Check it out if you're out that way, Great use of a vacant shoe factory , the museum , lofts & artist's studio's all inside , a truly unique space .

http://www.citymuseum.org/site/

I've seen this sort of thing in other places. Detroit needs something more unique.

Now if this was done in the packard plant....

Or the train station...hmmm..

Stromberg2

I've been to City Museum. It's a blast. Artist Bob Cassily created it. He died recently while working on another project. The museum has a lot of architectural pieces from demolished buildings. The Museum itself is in an old shoe factory. There's also a place in Illinois that is collecting architectural pieces. If you're ever in STL I recommend City Museum. It is around $20 if you include all the other attractions, but it's a unique place. The zoo and the museums at Forest Park are great, too, and I think they are free. I haven't visited City Garden yet, but I plan to.

The place Cassily died is called Cementland. His bulldozer apparently flipped down a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Or the train station...hmmm..Stromberg2
    Yep , that would be Great !!

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    I've been to City Museum. It's a blast. Artist Bob Cassily created it. He died recently while working on another project. The museum has a lot of architectural pieces from demolished buildings. The Museum itself is in an old shoe factory. There's also a place in Illinois that is collecting architectural pieces. If you're ever in STL I recommend City Museum. It is around $20 if you include all the other attractions, but it's a unique place. The zoo and the museums at Forest Park are great, too, and I think they are free. I haven't visited City Garden yet, but I plan to.
    We stayed on the west end of Citygarden at the Union Station . While there were no fountains this time of year , Citygarden was beautifully decorated for Christmas . The Marriot at Union Station was a great place to stay & a Stunning piece of historic architecture !

Last edited by Coplin; January-10-12 at 04:46 PM.

If you have the time....

http://detroitdvotion.com/

Coaccession Guest

If Detroit had a multi-billion dollar arts endowment generating hundreds of millions of dollars annually, it could fund reuse projects like these, letting Detroit's artists turn their creativity into cultural and financial value for residents and visitors. Since Detroit is one of America's wealthiest cities -- the DIA collection belongs to the City's Arts Department, overseen by the City's Arts Commission -- a multi-billion dollar arts endowment is well within the City's means. Some deals would let Detroit have that money but not its Monet [[trading the Monet for the money). Coaccession, though, would let Detroit have its Monet and money, too... the DIA it is, plus all kinds of artistic projects like City Museum. Science and humanities too!