Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Suburbs Beckon Fiat Executives With $1,595 Sandals

I thought this was amusing:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4ywvjcdp0ko

An excerpt:

Some people in Birmingham, Michigan, can’t wait for the Italians to take over Chrysler LLC.

Karen Daskas, owner of a women’s fashion shop called Tender, said she carries Chrissie Morris high-heeled sandals -- original price $1,595; now $795.50 -- that might appeal to Italian expatriates from Fiat SpA. A few doors away, jeweler Gary Astreins said that “new blood” should bring new jobs to an ailing economy. Next year, students at a local public high school may be able to study Italian.
    If you've got a lemon, make Italian ice!

Retroit Guest

Yeah, I'm sure the Italians can't wait to come here to buy shoes that are made in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure the Italians can't wait to come here to buy shoes that are made in Italy.
    I don't know about the shoes, but the provolone cheese is better here than in Italy. Our's is imported and their's is domestic!

Detroit has an Italian Consulate?

Sludgedaddy Guest

Aren't Italian overshoes made of cement?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Detroit has an Italian Consulate?
    Interestingly enough, yes. Canadian Consulate, too. Japan and Mexico, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Interestingly enough, yes. Canadian Consulate, too. Japan and Mexico, too.
    Yeah, that's funny. Once I needed to contact a British Consulate, and the closest one to Detroit [[in the U.S.) is in Chicago. So I figured that all of the consulates for the region were in Chicago...

DetroitDad Guest

There’s no word yet on relocation plans of Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne, who has said that he will take the same spot at Chrysler when the company emerges from bankruptcy. In a May 6 interview, he declined to say whether he would move to Detroit.

“I’m always traveling,” said Marchionne, who currently resides in Geneva. “It doesn’t really matter where I live.”
    The Book Cadillac still has room. While those with upper income families will probably be most comfortable in Birmingham, it's an entire different ball game for single executives who are constantly traveling. Top executives and the CEO might appreciate a building like the Book Cadillac, with so many services, at least for the view weeks they are actually here.

I don't know what Birmingham has to offer in comparison to the Book Cadillac. Do they have buildings with similar services?

Haikoont Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I don't know what Birmingham has to offer in comparison to the Book Cadillac. Do they have buildings with similar services?
    No. Birmingham is a gated community with tough security. Its businesses are heavily guarded, retailers lock their dressing rooms, and offices have private security and even moats. You can't be near an office park there at night, otherwise you will have the police called. Neighborhoods have bars on the windows, and they have property crime. They also have private security, strict regulations [[don't leave your car to long in your driveway, don't keep a motor home or boat visible, don't plant any flowers dubbed weeds by your neighbors, etc.), and tough neighborhood watches.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    The Book Cadillac still has room. While those with upper income families will probably be most comfortable in Birmingham, it's an entire different ball game for single executives who are constantly traveling. Top executives and the CEO might appreciate a building like the Book Cadillac, with so many services, at least for the view weeks they are actually here.

Fiat execs will probably operate similar to Daimler's German execs. They mostly set up residence to maximize access to the Auburn Hills complex and the OC airport, which they used to travel back and forth to Germany.

DetroitDad Guest

Fiat execs will probably operate similar to Daimler's German execs. They mostly set up residence to maximize access to the Auburn Hills complex and the OC airport, which they used to travel back and forth to Germany.
    Good point. I forgot also how far these places actually are from Downtown Detroit.

Haikoont, have you ever been to Birmingham? It's one of the more walkable suburbs in the region. I don't think it fits your description at all.

Yeah, that's funny. Once I needed to contact a British Consulate, and the closest one to Detroit [[in the U.S.) is in Chicago. So I figured that all of the consulates for the region were in Chicago...
    Not sure about the British Consulate, but the German Consulate moved [[or should I say merged) to Chicago about 15 years ago. IIRC, they were even located in the Book Tower at one point.

Mr. Christiansen [[of Charfoos & Christiansen Law Firm) was for a long time the Danish Consule General, with his legal and consular offices in the Hecker-Smiley Mansion up on Woodward & Ferry Ave.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Not sure about the British Consulate, but the German Consulate moved [[or should I say merged) to Chicago about 15 years ago. IIRC, they were even located in the Book Tower at one point.

Mr. Christiansen [[of Charfoos & Christiansen Law Firm) was for a long time the Danish Consule General, with his legal and consular offices in the Hecker-Smiley Mansion up on Woodward & Ferry Ave.
    Christensen, not Christiansen.