Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Customer support -- a GOOD experience!

Since I bought friend wife a Kindle for Christmas, I finally got around to getting it working for her. But I had a heck of a time with my wireless connection to it......it seems I forgot my password for my WiFi. It was about twenty alphanumeric digits long, and wherever I wrote it down had gone to neverneverland.

Anyway, I called Linksys support, and got connected to a delightful young man who walked me through a lot of keypunching and re-setting, and got the whole deal working perfectly with a sensible password that I put in. The guy spoke perfect english, was clear in his instructions, and just a delight in comparison to most "support" contacts I've had in the past.

Hurrah for Linksys. Great customer support!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Since I bought friend wife a Kindle for Christmas, I finally got around to getting it working for her. But I had a heck of a time with my wireless connection to it......it seems I forgot my password for my WiFi. It was about twenty alphanumeric digits long, and wherever I wrote it down had gone to neverneverland.

Anyway, I called Linksys support, and got connected to a delightful young man who walked me through a lot of keypunching and re-setting, and got the whole deal working perfectly with a sensible password that I put in. The guy spoke perfect english, was clear in his instructions, and just a delight in comparison to most "support" contacts I've had in the past.

Hurrah for Linksys. Great customer support!
    Yeah, the rare good customer service experience is worth remarking about. During college I worked a couple of years in telephone customer service for a fortune 500 financial institution. Our calls were timed and recorded. We received extra compensation for providing "great" customer service in a timely manner. This determination was partly based upon the customer feedback to our management. If time permits, you might want to call or write in to the company to express your satisfaction. It will receive attention.

On the bottom or side the WiFi device, tape the cryptic password or wep key info and you'll never have to worry about losing it again. Never use a password that can be guessed.

Incidentally, Linksys has a router and WiFi browser interface [[local) that is good for more personal settings than you can shake a stick at. And the support page on their website is good as well.

"If time permits, you might want to call or write in to the company to express your satisfaction. It will receive attention."

Yup, I will do that, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Yeah, the rare good customer service experience is worth remarking about. During college I worked a couple of years in telephone customer service for a fortune 500 financial institution. Our calls were timed and recorded. We received extra compensation for providing "great" customer service in a timely manner. This determination was partly based upon the customer feedback to our management. If time permits, you might want to call or write in to the company to express your satisfaction. It will receive attention..
    That first sentence is a sad commentary, but I second the rest of the paragraph. I always make sure I have the name of the customer support person, or whoever is helping me, and I always call back to speak to a supervisor. I also did that when my cable was installed [[it was Xfinity, and the installers had to go through hell to get the cable to my place due to neighbors' trees and shrubs)

I like the fact that a bunch of companies are bringing their customer support services back to this country. Aside from it adding [[so-so) jobs, you can at least understand the people on the other end of the line.

The opposite character, The Bastard Operator From Hell, comes to mind. This legendary fictional character would do anything in his power [[and he held all the power) to destroy "your computing experience."

I suspect the BOFH myth was a scheme contrived to create a market for decentralized personal computers. The timing was right.

If anyone has AT&T and needs to call customer service, ask to speak with a CWA represented employee. You will be transfered to a U.S. based, union worker.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The opposite character, The Bastard Operator From Hell, comes to mind. This legendary fictional character would do anything in his power [[and he held all the power) to destroy "your computing experience."

I suspect the BOFH myth was a scheme contrived to create a market for decentralized personal computers. The timing was right.
    Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners and could this guy ever just make a remark without insisting on sticking a goddam link into his post

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners and could this guy ever just make a remark without insisting on sticking a goddam link into his post
    Thank you.

I think he and maxx are having a private contest to determine who can most the most links on the forum.