Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where can I buy calamari[[fresh for home or at a restaurant) in Metro Detroit

A supermarket had frozen calamari rings listed in their circular just before Christmas. Trouble is they never had them in. After deliver never came the man who orders for the meat department called the distributor asking when shipment would be made.He was told " a few days". Long story short,they never came in
    I called the distributor. A very cordial woman explained they weren't delivered because the product isn't being allowed past customs. So my search for calamari continues.
    Anyone know where I can buy it? I'd rather have frozen rings that I can prepare here at home when the craving hits. If not then can anyone suggest a restaurant in Detroit[[or in close proximity to)that serves good calamari?
    Thanks
    P.S. Typo in title: Should read "Frozen for home use or at a restaurant......."
    Last edited by trotwood; January-09-12 at 11:03 AM.

I would try Eastern Market Fish and Seafood next to Cost Plus Wine on Market Street. Lots of fresh and frozen goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    A supermarket had frozen calamari rings listed in their circular just before Christmas. Trouble is they never had them in. After deliver never came the man who orders for the meat department called the distributor asking when shipment would be made.He was told " a few days". Long story short,they never came in
    I called the distributor. A very cordial woman explained they weren't delivered because the product isn't being allowed past customs. So my search for calamari continues.
    Anyone know where I can buy it? I'd rather have frozen rings that I can prepare here at home when the craving hits. If not then can anyone suggest a restaurant in Detroit[[or in close proximity to)that serves good calamari?
    Thanks
    P.S. Typo in title: Should read "Frozen for home use or at a restaurant......."

The Fish and Seafood Market at Eastern Market is my first choice. If that doesn't work for you - try the Fish market in east Dearborn - on Schaeffer - right behind city hall - next door to Alcamos [[Italian Market - great cheeses and deli).....

if you want a wide supply of seafood checkout an Asian market. There are more in the area then you think and the Asians love their fish and seafood

I thik the biggest issue is getting them through customs. With customs not allowing it through, and a reduced proabilitity of being able to go down to Lake Erie and catching your own squid, the cost of the stuff is going to be too high for the consumer, hence no stores will want to carry it as they don't want to be stuck with a bunch of expensive old fish.

Give the Superior FIsh Company in Royal Oak a call. They supply a lot of restaurants in the area, if they don't carry it they probably could order it for you.

if you go to Superior FIsh Company in Royal Oak ask if you dont see what you want they dont always put out every selection they have out on display

Why aren't they letting calamari through customs?

Try Vergote's Poultry & Fish Market. on Harper between Whittier & Cadieux.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate your time&assistance!

Old Guy I'm not certain why they won't let it through. I didn't press the woman for details though she went on to tell me the Orange Roughy they distribute[[Sea Best)hasn't been allowed through for almost a year. Again I didn't ask why but thought it odd. I don't eat OR but couldn't understand customs refusal.