Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Abandoned Houses - link to retronaut.co

Just FYI

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/04/abandoned-houses-detroit/

100 abandoned Detroit homes

"
    ‘I decided to name the series 100 Abandoned Houses. 100 seemed like a lot, although the number of abandoned houses in Detroit is more like 12,000.Encompassing an area of over 138 square miles, Detroit has enough room to hold the land mass of San Francisco, Boston, and Manhattan Island, yet the population has fallen from close to 2 million citizens, to most likely less than 800,000. With such a dramatic decline, the abandoned house problem is not likely to go away any time soon.’- Kevin Bauman, 100 Abandoned Houses
    "

Kind of makes me want to cry.

DFD estimates that abandoned structures in Detroit are closer to 90,000, while most media outlets routinely use 70,000-80,000 as the bench-mark.

Neither are far-fetched when simple math starts with a population of 2M. Based on households of 5 people, 200,000 homes are no longer needed when half that population leaves. Base it on 4 people per household, that's 250,000 vacant homes. And we're down to a population of 700,000 and change. Staggering.

I could not link to the web site shown. I tried typing an 'm' at the end of co. but it just said that the website might be for sale. Interesting pictures on the other link. Where do people find the time to do this sort of thing? It would have been nice had he shown the locations.

I guess you could call it an example of any city USA ,if I am not mistaken # 30 or so the castle looking apartments burned and was demolished last winter although its sister in Canada still is in operation .

Hi everybody, this is my first post. That site is amazing, thanks for the link! I know it's not much consulation but I have this fascination with abandoned places and spend alot of time on various websites looking at photographs and all over the earth there is tons of abandonment, not just in Detroit. It's truly tragic that more of them can't be saved but for me the places seem to live on in a way in photographs, sort of like a second life. I know that sounds weird and does nothing for the absolute tragedy of the situation in Detroit. Sorry.

Those pictures of Brush Park are absolutely heartbreaking. What was once my favorite neighborhood is now little more than vacant, litter-strewn land.

Does anyone know why the city demolished The Yale apartment building and the little house next to it, just north of the 75 service drive? They were in decent shape.