Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lions' Berry goes off on fans

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/01/0...94&feedID=3701

Maybe I just missed this in the local media. Another idiotic Twitter post. He can apologize all he wants but these outbursts tell you what the guy really thinks about the fans.

Ugh, even though he's a well-paid football player, he's still a young kid who shoots off at the mouth. It's kinda sad too, because the other Lions players all posted pretty good and respectful tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Ugh, even though he's a well-paid football player, he's still a young kid who shoots off at the mouth. It's kinda sad too, because the other Lions players all posted pretty good and respectful tweets.
    True, but there are times you should just keep your mouth shut, and someone in their 20s should know that.

That's taught in elementary school in fact [[if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all).

That said, before the racial crap that started over there begins here, I'm pretty sure Aaron Berry [[if we're talking about the same one) is just as much white as he is black.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-09-12 at 09:35 AM.

bartock Guest

Who cares what he said. He had a terrible game and won't be in a Lions uniform next year.

313WX why all the racial stuff with you lately? This board doesn't go THERE on things like this.

Im sure he got a lot iof nasty stuff after the game, I would be upset as well. But you gotta take the high road dude. Thats why I respect CJ so much, he just plays the game and you never hear a peep out of him.

Oh and by the way I think Berry is actually purple...

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    313WX why all the racial stuff with you lately? This board doesn't go THERE on things like this.
    Besides the above post, what "racial stuff" have I posted lately? Do you mind providing proof?

And yes this board has "gone there" on things like this before. For example, see the posts where English goes into a long, worn out rant about blacks in Detroit anytime someone posts something negative about Detroit.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-09-12 at 09:53 AM.

bartock Guest

It's a fucking comment from a football player after a football game, not some attempt at social commentary. So no, this board doesn't usually go THERE on issues like THIS.

It's a fucking comment from a football player after a football game, not some attempt at social commentary. So no, this board doesn't usually go THERE on issues like THIS.
    Look, I'm not about to start an argument with you over simple facts I stated. Everyone agrees the comment was wrong but the point had to be made that there is no racist intent behind it [[nor should anyone turn it into a racial issue). Leave it at that and move on with your life.

If you have a personal problem with me, take it to PM [[which I'll probably ignore anyway, but whatever makes you feel good about yourself).

bartock Guest

Yikes. I don't have any problems with anyone, nor do I think one should be implied just from making an observation on a board. Have a good day.

Getting back on topic.

This type of thing is more and more common now a days with Athlete's and Twitter. Is it smart? No. Especially given the economic situation of the city he puts on a jersey for.

This is why you see more and more coaching staff's banning there players from Twitter, especially in the college ranks. Nothing good comes from it as far as the team goes. The media however, has got to love it.

I don't do Twitter and I don't do Facebook or any of the other 'social media'. I stir up enough shit here on DY.

Twitter = bad idea for any public figure. Particularly so for someone who's young and therefore more likely to overreact to criticism with loose words.

That said, I understand his frustration, because I'm sure he played his best and feels bad about losing. But when you perform in the public eye, in a profession that so many people care passionately about and project their own personal egos onto, and you fail as noticeably as he and other members of the Lions' secondary did, you are bound to take some nasty criticism.

The best policy, of course, is to think, keep your mouth shut, and take the high road. That's not so easy though when you can actually see the criticism cascading in and have the means to respond instantly right at hand. From the evidence I see all over the internet [[including this thread), I doubt if a lot of us could resist.

LOL – funny...I'll bet that’s what Drew Brees told him [[Berry) after the game -- “Go back to being broke and miserable”.

Why are people so sure that Berry directed his post to the fans? Even the writer of this article uses the word "presumably" when discussing who the target may have been. Later in the article, the writer admits that it's "unclear" who the targets of that first post were. What we have from Berry is him saying the fans were NOT the target of that post, not once, but twice. Should we believe that a post that does not name anyone is directed towards the fans just because the writer of this article makes the guess that it was?

Journalism is dead. It used to be if a reporter had to use the word "presumably" in an article, or if the main point he was making was "unclear", the article wouldn't run until he/she had done a little actual fact confirmation. There used to be a greater standard of proof than "speculation" to get something published.

Let's put it into perspective. NFL is a job. If most people made negative public commentary about our jobs on twitter, we'd probably get fired. Politicians, athletes, celebrities all seem to get confused when there's backlash after a heat of the moment remark made online.

Whether spoken or typed, I think we've all regretted saying something we shouldn't, but some people are more visible to the public than others and need to be extra careful.

Personally, I could care less about it and the issue isn't worth beating to death. But it's worth saying he did something very stupid. But that's about it.

^^ I concur, good post.