Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pet Theft in Corktown

Last night around 11:00pm my neighbor across the street saw a man in
    my driveway lure my cat, pick her up, and walk down the sidewalk.
    When he told me, we and a couple other neighbors drove around looking
    for a person fitting the description, but we never found him. He's a
    white male in his 20's wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and light blue
    jeans. My cat must not have gotten away, because we haven't seen her
    since.

This happened on Wabash between Bagley and Marantette. I've lived
    here for three years and hadn't had anything like this happen before.
    This isn't common, is it? What kind of maniacs are walking around
    Corktown stealing people's cats?
    Here is a photo of her:

[IMG=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Anny86/hott-1.jpg]

She's the one on the chair. She's a long-haired "dilute calico". She
    has a collar with a purple tag with the name "Kendra" printed on it
    and my girlfriend's phone number. If you see her, please call [[313)
    414-8668.

Thanks,Paul

detmich Guest

funny movie detmich!

PS - Can't seem to open your picture

Vin,

My cat was on my property, on my driveway, but not tied up. The thief came onto my property to steal her. She is also clearly not a stray, having a collar with a tag on it.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Was it tied up? Was it in a yard? Sorry someone took your cat but it's importnat to remember that not everyone loves your cat as much as you. In my area the neighbors cats/strays are always shitting in my garden. I now trap them and relocate them to a nicer neighborhood. Keep your pets in your yard.

Good luck!

-Vin
    You trap your neighbors' cats and take them out of the neighborhood because they shit in your garden? That's a pretty fucked-up thing to do.

I thought I was the only one thinking that. That's terrible Vince. Don't do that. Okay?

My Corktown auntie watches over a few of the neighborhood shared-ownership pussies...some of 'em I've known since they were small enough to fit in the palm of my hand.

I saw one, a yellow-striped male, just last night on Leverette...and he was as friendly and trusting as ever.

People of this forum are around that neighborhood all times of the day and night, if someone IS poaching cats...they've got a short-ass career ahead of themselves.

I hope yours is OK, Psewick. Let us know.

Vince, were you and David Carradine close friends?

PSewick's photo:

Sorry to hear that about your cat. When I had cats they were fixed and never allowed out of the house unless they were on a leash or my enclosed front porch. There are just too many dangers out there. Now I just have 2 schnauzers, but they are very well protected. I got even more protective when new neighbors started talking about how much dogs like mine cost and started asking a lot of questions about them. They aren't going to get them unless they get through me first.

Why the hell did the neighbor just sit back and not do anything?

Still, good luck finding your cat, we have two and would be crushed if anything ever happened to them. We keep them inside at all times.

Vince, you seem to have issues.

PSewick, I hope you find Kendra, the neighbor should have said something to this guy. I would have said "what are you doing with my cat?"

I hope he didn't want the cat for what I think he might have wanted it for.

Post an ad in the paper and put flyers in local stores offering a reward. You just might get lucky.

I hope she's OK.

And for Vince....you have no right to take other people's cats and relocate them, even if they are pooping in your yard. A simple warning to the owners that you will contact animal control should have been sufficient.

PSewick, I hope you find your cat.

Vince, that's sick man!

Here's hoping that you find your cat quickly.

This one's for you Vince!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu85zTAoRJ0 [[Make sure to watch it all).

Vince, I understand your issues with cats that are simply pushed out the door and allowed to do as they please, but in a residential area you have to consider that these cats may be someones pet. My suggestion is to trap the offending cats and warn the owners. A simple, "Next time I catch here she's a goner" notice taped around the cat for a warning and increase the stakes from there.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-10-09 at 08:53 AM.

Stealing and relocating neighborhood cats is not simply "holding others responsible for their actions and commitments" --it's illegal. Look up the laws. It's also irresponsible on your part, as you are potentially transferring the problem to unrelated others. I hope, if you really are doing this, somone catches you and calls the police or ASPCA.

detmich Guest

Sweet work Vince. With dogs you just need to shoot them with rock salt. They say away then.

How is an animal different from an empty Flaming Hot Cheeto's bag on your lawn?
    The same way your child, walking to a park, is different from an empty bottle rolling down the street.

It's alive, it [[probably) belongs to someone who cares about it, and you can't just take it and do whatever because you feel a certain way. Until you hold an animal control position, it isn't your right to punish those you feel aren't handling their pet ownership responsibilities.
    Make reports. Shoo the animals--cats, dogs, whatever--as you will, and be done with it. Collect the crap and return it to it's rightful owner. There are other options!

My cat has been returned!

This is the weird part... When I was at work, my girlfriend was doing some yard work in the front of the house. She saw two white guys in their 20's drive by very, very slowly in a rusty red pickup truck, maybe like they were looking for an address. They pulled around the block and drove through the alley too. When my girlfriend went into the back yard, she found our cat meowing at the back door. What is also weird is that her collar was missing. It's not the kind of collar she could have taken off by herself, and never even tried to.

Where the guys in the truck--people she had never seen before--related to this? Did our "lost" posters [[that listed our address) prompt them to return her?

Here is weird thing #3: I found out that other neighbors [[some guys who live above the old Bagley Vision) also had a dog stolen, they put up "lost" posters, and the dog was returned [[just found tied up next to the building).

What is going on here?! Maybe the government is infecting our pets with some kind of super alien virus, or is brainwashing them to kill their owners when they receive the secret sattelite trigger signal? Or is the CIA training all local pets to all poop in Vince's sandbox on command?

Glad you got your cat back!

Quote Originally Posted by PSewick View Post
    My cat has been returned!

This is the weird part... When I was at work, my girlfriend was doing some yard work in the front of the house. She saw two white guys in their 20's drive by very, very slowly in a rusty red pickup truck, maybe like they were looking for an address. They pulled around the block and drove through the alley too. When my girlfriend went into the back yard, she found our cat meowing at the back door. What is also weird is that her collar was missing. It's not the kind of collar she could have taken off by herself, and never even tried to.

Where the guys in the truck--people she had never seen before--related to this? Did our "lost" posters [[that listed our address) prompt them to return her?

Here is weird thing #3: I found out that other neighbors [[some guys who live above the old Bagley Vision) also had a dog stolen, they put up "lost" posters, and the dog was returned [[just found tied up next to the building).

What is going on here?! Maybe the government is infecting our pets with some kind of super alien virus, or is brainwashing them to kill their owners when they receive the secret sattelite trigger signal? Or is the CIA training all local pets to all poop in Vince's sandbox on command?
    Or people are picking up what they think are strays to a) Find them a home/feed and tend to themb) Teach owners of pets not to leave them outside unattended.

Hey Vince, a couple years ago I had a problem with a neighborhood feline gang and was able to completely solve the problem by scoring some lion poo from the zoo. Worked like a dream. Single application.

Your situation sounds tricky considering you may be opening yourself to some legal action. The lion poo trick will solve your dilemma and keep you out of an expensive legal mess.

interesting link pam, thanx

pswick, congrats on getting your CIA/Alien/Terrorist abducted cat back. I'm voting for a pure Gannon-approved conspiracy.
    Last edited by gnome; June-10-09 at 11:12 AM.

Glad your cat's back!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Or people are picking up what they think are strays to a) Find them a home/feed and tend to themb) Teach owners of pets not to leave them outside unattended.
    Yeah, "lesson learned" I guess. Now I'll just have to buy a Taser and "teach" those same people to stay off my property and not kidnap my animals. It's the only way I can repay them for the valuable education they've given me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast