Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Being a Mustang fan and not really a Camaro man, the new Camaro looks exciting nonetheless. A couple of weeks ago while out on the beach for lunch I stumbled across Chevrolet's west coast media launch for the new 2010 Camaro. Right there on the beach at the famous Tower 23 Hotel. All the major automobile magazines were there including Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Hot Rodding [[no bikini clad babes though ). The new Camaro apparently becomes available at Chevrolet dealerships beginning this month.

Someone took photographs and posted them on the Corvette forum at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...ros-at-pb.html

The best one I saw was the bright red/orange V8 SS model

Nice huh?

Also see:
    http://www.automotivetraveler.com/im...maro_front.jpg
    http://www.automotivetraveler.com/im...amaro_rear.jpg
    http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro
    Last edited by vetalalumni; April-01-09 at 04:37 PM.

I'll be flamed here,Attachment 206 but out of the last four retro muscle cars to come out, this is the best looking. Only because it's not a virtual recreation. And the engine options rock. Too bad I'm a poor car guy.

I've had the silver Camaro wallpaper for weeks.
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-10-09 at 01:47 PM.

Default 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

2010 Chevrolet Camaro
    Last edited by vetalalumni; April-01-09 at 05:40 PM.

Default not exactly green and

yawn.
    car companies [[if you read this): please, oh please design something smart for the masses. i appreciate a nicely shaped vehicle that this beauty is..but...are you out of ideas that you have to look back in time?

Most of the masses couldn't handle a 420 hp V8 let alone drive a manual, so I don't think it was ever GM's intention to make this car something that can be appreciated by the masses. I want one and if I didn't get the G8 last year, exactly a year actually, I would be plotting on this right now.

Agreed..they are a hot looking car. Saw a dark maroon one in RO last week and damn, it looked sweet as hell.

ccbatson Guest

The Z28 version proposed is way cool with the CTS-V/ZR1 SC engine. 400 pounds too heavy across the board however.

I've seen nothing on this car...but from the pix, I love it! How's the pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by President Sekou View Post
    Most of the masses couldn't handle a 420 hp V8 ...
    Funny memory here. Back in my very early twenties I had my first opportunity to drive a truly high-powered vehicle. It was a very quick-on-the-start Corvette. Funny because I simply feather-touched the gas pedal with my foot and the Vette took off like a rocket and I nearly lost control in less than two seconds!

Does Obama approve of it? I hear he is the authority on the auto industry these days. If he says we don't like it, I guess we don't.

ccbatson Guest

Good one JL.

Regarding old vettes, if it was a big block from the mid/late sixties to early seventies, big torque and power on skinny tires. On a cool day, the tires spin at will....GREAT FUN.

Last I heard, the Z28 was DOA

I'll take mine in Hugger Orange with a white houndstooth interior, please.

O.

I was an owner of three Camaros in the 70s and 80s, a black/white vinyl interior '77 Type LT, a bronze/tan ' 79 z28, and a orange/gray '81 Berlinetta..

White interiors are notoriously difficult to keep clean, but in my effort to reduce the heat factor inside a black car parked in the summer sun all day.at work. my first new car that I bought, the Type LT, was ordered from the factory with white vinyl seats. I also ordered a 350 4bbl engine, but when it finally arrived in the dealership it had a 305 2bbl. I was pretty upset, and I was told by the sales manager that the 350 Chevy engines were being put in Oldsmobiles!!

That was due to the popularity of the Olds Cutlass Supreme, and GM was unable to manufacture enough Olds 350 engines to keep up with the demand at that time. Chevrolet had also restored the z28 Camaro model mid-year, after a 2 1/2 year hiatus, and I was told that those were the only Camaros that were available and came standard with a 350 4bbl engine and could only be purchased with a 4 speed manual tranny. No automatics were available in the '77 z28.
    Last edited by Flanders; April-03-09 at 04:18 PM.

I also ordered a 350 4bbl engine, but when it finally arrived in the dealership it had a 305 2bbl.
    I had that engine in a conversion van, what a low horsepower dog. I had to replace it, and did so with a 350 4bbl four bolt. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I had that engine in a conversion van, what a low horsepower dog. I had to replace it, and did so with a 350 4bbl four bolt. Big difference.

Even the 350 4bbl engines in the mid-70s-80s were dogs, I remember they had around ~170~ hp. My '70 307 2bbl Nova would have blown away a '77TransAm or z28, the former even with a ~400~ ci v8. The TransAm used in the Smoky and the Bandit movies did not even have a "stock" Pontiac V8 in it that anyone could obtain. I think that trucks did not have such severe hp limitations and the "lil' red trucks" mfg by Ford? with the wooden gates on top of their cargo beds were probably the fastest domestic vehicle that could be bought in the mid-late 70s.

The L48 and the L82 Corvettes were shit for acceleration as well, and the 4 cylinder "Mustang IIs"???...I could probably get to on-ramp acceleration for merging freeway speed faster if I got out of the car and physically pushed it up the ramp...LOL!!
    Last edited by Flanders; April-03-09 at 05:33 PM.

"lil' red trucks" mfg be Ford?
    They were the Ram 1500 series, but I don't remember the engine options.

Attachment 280
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-07-09 at 08:10 PM.

Back in 72', I had the 350 4bbl. in a black 71' Nova SS. The wallpaper on my desktop is a photo of a black 396, the option I would have loved to own. Still, I had more than a few memorable races down on Gratiot and 13.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-03-09 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Back in 72', I had the 350 4bbl. in a black 71' Nova SS. The wallpaper on my desktop is a photo of a black 396, the option I would have loved to own. Still, I had more than a few memorable races down on Gratiot and 13.

I would love to own a rare as hen's teeth COPO 1969 Yenko 427 Nova SS, this one in particular, even though it has an...ugh...front bench seat and the ubiquitous vinyl top I wonder how much one of the handful that are left in the world would $ell for now???

The C.O.P.O.'s [[Central office processing order), were legendary. Back when I had cable, I'd put on my sexy specs for the Barret - Jackson auction.

I also had the 66' 396 Malibu, and a 64' Greenbriar camper. Those were the days when you could afford the toys. My dad worked at Chevy tech, and had an "in" for replacement Corvair engines.

ccbatson Guest

OMG BigB!! Big Al is not going to be happy to hear that one of his saps used to drive these CO2 hogs you admire so much. Tsk, tsk.

I'm still on my Camaro kick. I get the emails from Chevy about it all the time. But it looks like I will have to wait a few years for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    OMG BigB!! Big Al is not going to be happy to hear that one of his saps used to drive these CO2 hogs you admire so much. Tsk, tsk.
    There's stuff about me you couldn't even imagine Cc. Pro military, hardware enforced, center of the road, and Anti - Cheney/Rove/Bremer.

" I want one and if I didn't get the G8 last year, exactly a year actually, I would be plotting on this right now. "

Both are assembled outside the U.S. Where's the "buy American" spirit we've heard so much about on this forum lately? The G8 isn't even North American built.

OK - I'm tired of Mexico also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast