Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Good Facebook post by M.L.Elrick of Freep re: Bing Administration

This is well worth reading. Glad M.L. is questioning the coherence and competence of the Bing Administration. More folks should stop pretending everything is OK on the eleventh floor of CAYMC.

M.l. Elrick

Can someone please help me figure out what's going on in Detroit's City Hall?
    Bob Warfield is named communications director, then he's out, now he's back.
    Kirk Lewis is second in command, then he's out, now he's back.
    The mayor says he has a plan to shrink the city, then he says he doesn't have a plan, then he asks people for their ideas and now he has a plan [[i think).
    The mayor isn't going to li...ve in the Manoogian Mansion, then he moves in.
    The mayor says the city council is going too far by cutting $50 million from the budget, then he says we need to cut hundreds of millions from the budget or we're going to run out of money by April.
    The mayor says the city needs to cut back and unions need to make concessions, then he hires a spokesman for $128,000.
    The mayor says the city may need an emergency financial manager and that he'd be open to taking the job, then he says the city doesn't need an emergency financial manager and he doesn't want the job.
    Karen Dumas is out as communications director, then she's back as a regular unofficial adviser.
    The mayor says he isn't going to take a salary, then he secretly starts taking a salary and only tells the public months later just as the media is about to report it.
    The mayor says light rail is going to work, then he says he won't work, now he says it will work.
    Am I the only one around here whose head is spinning?

Bing is so in over his head it's not even funny.

People are figuring this out now? The guy hasn't known what he's doing from day one.

The real question is, Who does know what to do? When faced with a sinking ship [[SOS Detroit), what captain ever makes all of the right decisions? I'm sure the captain of the Titanic got a lot of flack for decisions he made before, during, and after the sinking of his ship. I'm not saying Bing is the best Captain for the job, but he, along with anyone else who would be mayor, is going to be criticized for the things he does and the things he doesn't do. To make things interesting, how about we forumers compare Bing to all of the previous mayors of Detroit and see who we think would be the best person to handle the current job of mayor and why. Either that or just wait to the next election and vote for the person you think can save this sinking ship called SOS Detroit.

Royce, I can understand what you're saying... but his flip-flop on the Rail Line... and not first telling Gilbert-Ilitch-Karmanos-Penske was not a smart or diplomatic move at all. And then giving his comment about "it being the will of the people... his constituents".... that sounded sooooo "JoAnn Watson" to me...

Regardless of everything else he's done... this one thing was VERY uncharacteristic of being a good mayor. You just don't ignore the major benefactors to your city like that...

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The real question is, Who does know what to do? When faced with a sinking ship [[SOS Detroit), what captain ever makes all of the right decisions? I'm sure the captain of the Titanic got a lot of flack for decisions he made before, during, and after the sinking of his ship. I'm not saying Bing is the best Captain for the job, but he, along with anyone else who would be mayor, is going to be criticized for the things he does and the things he doesn't do. To make things interesting, how about we forumers compare Bing to all of the previous mayors of Detroit and see who we think would be the best person to handle the current job of mayor and why. Either that or just wait to the next election and vote for the person you think can save this sinking ship called SOS Detroit.
    The best person for the job is Joe Harris, hands down. Nobody knows the reality of the city's finances, and has better realistic solutions than Joe Harris.

Isn't Joe Harris the current Emergency Financial Manager of Benton Harbor or am I thinking of someone else?

That is the same Joe Harris. If we go into an EFM situation, I really hope he is the guy appointed.