Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Will go to Jackson and Detroit tomorrow, suggestions?

Tomorrow morning, I will be driving to Jackson, MI, then head east to Detroit. Do you know of anything that I should recommend in both cities? I will seldom get out of my car, but I may be riding the People Mover in Detroit [[that is if I arrive there by noon). And my home is in Wyandotte, so any suggestions on what I may see along the way?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Tomorrow morning, I will be driving to Jackson, MI, then head east to Detroit. Do you know of anything that I should recommend in both cities? I will seldom get out of my car, but I may be riding the People Mover in Detroit [[that is if I arrive there by noon). And my home is in Wyandotte, so any suggestions on what I may see along the way?
    You live in Wyandotte and don't know where to go in Detroit?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    You live in Wyandotte and don't know where to go in Detroit?!?
    Been in downtown there many times so I already know it. Last time I was in Jackson was on an Amtrak train back in 2009.

Get off at Southfield South and get some ice cream at Calder Dairy in Lincoln Park.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...ed=0CDAQrwswAA

What will you see?
    Acres of broken hearts, bleeding Honolulu Blue...............

Jackson State Prison on Cooper Street, just North of I-94. At one time, it was the largest walled prison in the world!

Probably the main sight to see in Jackson is THE CASCADES....
    http://www.jacksonmich.com/cascades2.html

But with you going this weekend... you can rule that out in the winter months...

I like driving Old 12 in Jackson. Consumer's Energy has done some nice things downtown by taking the old federal building and incorporating it into a larger post-modern skyscraper. Just N of Michigan ave is a historic old theatre, and there is not much to see downtown. At one time Jackson was the flagship location for Jacobson's but its lost a lot of retail since. There is however a relatively new Walmart thats in a mall on the west side of the city, the Walmart took over an old Montgomery Ward that used to have a mall entrance. Walmart makes folks in the mall go outside because they have closed the mall entrance!

Jackson is also home of the Michigan Air and Space museum. It is also reported to be where the republican party was first incorporated.

Thanks for those tips for Jackson, for Detroit I know most since I literally went on the entire original Fabulous Ruins tour [[except for the paintings and foreign ruins sections) on this site and went on a couple other sites.

Double-posting, but the trip is 18 minutes from now, so you still have some time for suggestions.

I have several fond memories of Jackson, as my father was born and raised there and I visited there regularly until both of my grandparents had passed on a couple of years ago.
    • The Cascades of Jackson: Awesome, but only in the summertime. There's not much action going on there right now.
    • Gramer's Chocolates: Outstanding chocolatier. 803 N Waterloo St Jackson, MI 49202. [[www.gramerschocolate.com)

Jackson's largest and most palatial movie palace was The Michigan Theatre, which was designed by Detroit architect Maurice Frankel, and opened in 1930. It originally had 1730 seats [[today 1450), and is the pride of Jackson. It was originally built for the Butterfield chain of movie houses across lower Michigan. The theatre was built in a Spanish Baroque style... with a hint of Art Deco...

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?id=980&type=5

Trip is complete, so this thread is now useless.

Did you see the historical markers for the founding of the Republican party?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Did you see the historical markers for the founding of the Republican party?
    No. And here's the thread for the trip: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...564#post295564