Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Bing, Snyder back new plan for 3-mile light-rail line on Woodward

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and Governor Rick Snyder said today they're now backing plans for a three-mile light-rail line on Woodward Avenue, less than a month after scrapping plans for a larger line out to 8 Mile Road.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012010...text|FRONTPAGE

So that means no BRT?

There can only be light rail or BRT on Woodward. There aren't enough lanes of traffic to run both, plus private vehicles.

The 3 mile proposal is idiotic. Run a full system out to 8 Mile, or do BRT. The trolley proposal has no merit, and I don't care if zillionaires will pay for the whole thing.

summarizing the next 50 posts: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I really hope this story develops quick. It doesn't make sense that they'd kill the plan outright and then suddenly announce that they'll support the shorter version. Either that or they are some very floppy politicians. I'm just a bit skeptical here until some definitive information comes out on what they plan on doing.

SteveJ Guest

I don't believe anyone until I see shovels in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    So that means no BRT?

There can only be light rail or BRT on Woodward. There aren't enough lanes of traffic to run both, plus private vehicles.

The 3 mile proposal is idiotic. Run a full system out to 8 Mile, or do BRT. The trolley proposal has no merit, and I don't care if zillionaires will pay for the whole thing.
    Settle down bud, the details aren't even announced yet and this broke literally fifteen minutes ago. It could be 3 miles of LRT combined with the recently-announced regional BRT system... No one's stupid enough to put LRT & BRT lanes next to each other on the same road. There would be a transfer.

The Woodward BRT can move to Cass Avenue at Grand Blvd. After its transfer stop for the M-1/Amtrak in New Center, it would continue express to the Rosa Parks Transit Center.

It sounds like they're letting the private people build the Downtown to New Center stretch?

There's more on Detroit News...

Detroit
    — Light rail is back on the table for Detroit, but private backers of the project have 90 days to convince officials the plan is viable, Mayor Dave Bing said Friday.
    The announcement came after a meeting between Bing, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Gov. Rick Snyder, lawmakers and business leaders supporting the M-1 rail project.
    [...]
    "Some time ago, there was an announcement made that light rail is off the table," Bing told reporters after the meeting Friday. "Based on the conversation that we've had today and the agreements we've had, we see light rail as a part of regional transportation. Light rail is not dead…. All of us are on the same page, understanding how important transportation is going to be in Detroit, southeastern Michigan and the state."
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...TRO/201060409/

I knew private investors HAD to be behindthis one. Detroit is going to have the worst rail system ever assembled. If youlook at other cities, they have very intense plans that have been studied foryears. Then you need guaranteed federal funds to help support it, money forrepairs, mechanics etc...

It's really sad to see Detroit in this position. If it ever happens...

I hope this plan goes through! They need to realize how important this is for region and state. Ask the citizen's who will use it [[such as myself) to get around and not rely on just cars and trucks. I know for sure that this will create economic development and jobs. Come on BING!! Grow some balls and stand up for the citizen's..I VOTE DAN GILBERT for mayor..he seems to be the ONLY serious guy in turning our city around, he understands the importance of creating a strong core and how much of a asset it will be to have things in place for a functioning city.

Illwill and Bham1982... it's nice to see that you two can garner so criticism much from so little information.... you guys must be clairvoyant....

Meanwhile those of us that aren't... are waiting for the facts before passing judgement...

Praise be the lord!

So we have a 3 mile circular track followed 25 years later by a proposal for 3 more miles of straight track. Assuming no overlap, we should hit 8 mile by 2065!

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I hope this plan goes through! They need to realize how important this is for region and state. Ask the citizen's who will use it [[such as myself) to get around and not rely on just cars and trucks. I know for sure that this will create economic development and jobs. Come on BING!! Grow some balls and stand up for the citizen's..I VOTE DAN GILBERT for mayor..he seems to be the ONLY serious guy in turning our city around, he understands the importance of creating a strong core and how much of a asset it will be to have things in place for a functioning city.

one could probably name 15 people just on this site alone that if they were handed 200 million they would also be making a difference just as well.

Personally I would invest in a smoke factory then a mirror factory sense it seems to be so in vogue lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Illwill and Bham1982... it's nice to see that you two can garner so criticism much from so little information.... you guys must be clairvoyant....

Meanwhile those of us that aren't... are waiting for the facts before passing judgement...
    Then you should be proud of yourself. Good job!

Your right! If the people [[citizen's) actually had control on development by voting or something, it will get done! Give the citizen's bailouts for $1 million each and watch how much money will be put back into the community and other NEEDED assets. We are the one's who will use it, support it, and to do whatever's need to get it done. Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    one could probably name 15 people just on this site alone that if they were handed 200 million they would also be making a difference just as well.

Personally I would invest in a smoke factory then a mirror factory sense it seems to be so in vogue lately.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Your right! If the people [[citizen's) actually had control on development by voting or something, it will get done! Give the citizen's bailouts for $1 million each and watch how much money will be put back into the community and other NEEDED assets. We are the one's who will use it, support it, and to do whatever's need to get it done. Simple!
    Once the new charter kicks in you will have a voice lots do not understand the impact of it yet but it will make most of this daily stuff a non issue,dictatorships do not work.

Not to thread jack .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Honestly I feel that you may want to invest in some spelling book and thesaurus factories, and then make yourself your first and only customer, so that way when you want to make a witty retort....you wont misspell simple words and make yourself look like an idiot...

But that's just me though..

This is incompetence.

They are now directly contradicting themselves.

Is this supposed to inspire confidence?

I'm happy but I'm sick of being misled, lied to and manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Honestly I feel that you may want to invest in some spelling book and thesaurus factories, and then make yourself your first and only customer, so that way when you want to make a witty retort....you wont misspell simple words and make yourself look like an idiot...

But that's just me though..
    Actually I feel kinda privileged that you took the time out of you busy schedule to find fault in my sentence structure ,I take it you will be billing me for those services?

here we go again

Right now I look at it as a "possible" link for Downtown-to-New Center for the Detroit-DTW-Ann Arbor-Chicago... until we hear specifics...

No point in getting your blood pressure up!

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    This is incompetence.

They are now directly contradicting themselves.

Is this supposed to inspire confidence?

I'm happy but I'm sick of being misled, lied to and manipulated.
    No argument on any of those points! This was one of those "Skipper's Rule" scenarios anyways... also... did you notice Carl Levin's comments... spot on! Doesn't sound like he was too happy with Bing on this one...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-06-12 at 07:33 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast