Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Teen Found Dead 3 days After Helping Police

We often hear people saying that Detroiters need to drop the "no snitching" attitude which seems so pervasive. After an incident like this, is there any question why it exists?
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

The article doesn't say specifically, but I'm assuming this sting was set up by the Madison Heights Police. Why in the world would they set up a sting and then release the guy 6 hours later? And what did they tell Shelley Hilliard to convience her to participate in a sting that would ultimately cost her her life. Over a $100 misdemeanor ticket.

This whole thing is outrageous. Why would you ask her to set up a sting over $300 worth of dope knowing the guy would make bail and have no provision for protecting her ? Is it something more to this ? Is it because they just didn't care because she was a transgendered person ? Was protection offered and she didn't accept it ? Things don't add up, because if it went down like the article said, If I were her family I would be looking at a lawsuit.

I'm guessing that since the sting was set up in Madison Heights, that it was Madison Heights police, although leaving that part out of the article is a sign of sloppy journalism...

I agree 100% with firstandten... this has major lawsuit written all over it...

It's the law in the ghetto " Snitches get stitches!"

The news coverage on this a couple of months ago stated that she was given the option because she was facing jail time. I'm guessing she was on probation and/or had some priors.
    Last edited by rjk; January-06-12 at 03:45 PM.

There's a big difference between snitching and flipping.

^^ Not down the barrel of a gun there's not ^^

She didn't seem very discreet about it. If she told her regular taxi driver, who knows who else she told.

Very tragic.

As far as a lawsuit, I'll bet you this happens more than people think. The difference is that most don't end in murder or the ones that fear revenge would rather take the jail time.

You have someone who is doing something illegal, probably has priors, willingly accepted the offer to get out of jail time, and admits that she's afraid of revenge from this guy yet still decides to be let out on a dark street. Doesn't sound like much of a lawsuit to me.