Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Compuware stores disappearing.....

During the Movement 2009 event was here, I was walking back to my car and when I pass Compuware, I notice that "The Woodward" is on longer there and Borders bookstore is about to close also. What's next to leave Detroit?
    Last edited by Lowell; June-09-09 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by THE FURY 617 View Post
    During the Movement 2009 event was here, I was walking back to my car and when I pass Compuware, I notice that "The Woodward" is on longer there and Borders bookstore is about to close also. What's next to leave Detroit?
    Has Mr Song left for Southfield yet?

I assume some stores are going to leave the Ren Cen after the butchering of GM is over.

Everything, of course.

I mean - what kind of question is that? Borders is losing the fight to online retailers, closing many more stores than just the downtown location. Based on personal experience and online reviews, The Woodward was over-priced, and never really found its groove as a destination for downtown dining.

Stores are closing everywhere - in Detroit, in the suburbs, in Michigan, in the whole country. They will come back, but it's going to be rough for a while.

The hard recession triggered by GREED cause the The Woodward Resturant and Borders inside O.C.P. Compuware building to close. That includes Credit Union One Bank on the corner. When our ecomony starts to stabilize back to positive ecomonic growth, more new retail stores will fill its space.

Lorax Guest

I would say get used to it.

We lost our Compuware store, Borders, Linens & Things, Circuit City, Crate & Barrel, Ruby Tuesday's, Sound Advice, etc, etc.

This is one of the reasons why there should be a stronger push for small and medium sized independent businesses. A locally owned business operation is going to differ from the nationally owned chain stores.

Chain stores base their decisions on a global, marketshare, etc. approach moreso than how the individual stores are doing. A locally owned store is going to fight to make money in the location that it's in. Both have chances to succeed or fail, but the locally owned store is not going to close a profitable location based on what's happening in the global market.

[Retail] "They will come back, but it's going to be rough for a while."

I doubt that. The internet is killing some types of retail. Anything that can be shipped UPS, the majority is being handled via e-stores now. Better selections, better prices and it is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

I doubt that. The internet is killing some types of retail. Anything that can be shipped UPS, the majority is being handled via e-stores now. Better selections, better prices and it is easy.
    I still like to shop where I can pick things up, hold them in my hands, and look them over as I decide whether to buy them or not. I especially love to 'browse' in a book store. Pondering over old classics and new authors. <sigh> I guess I'm just getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

Well, maybe not in the present form, but you gotta figure something well. Maybe not.

I, too, prefer to go to a store to pick up merchandise rather than go online, partly because I'm impatient, party because I'd rather support local business. It's also much easier to return or exchange defective merchandise. Sometimes seeing the item in person and getting a feel its quality is worth more than a dozen online reviews. I've run a computer repair business on the side for many years, and often patronize local computer stores [[a dying breed) to pick up items I may need for a new build or repair. Sure, I'm paying a few bucks more, but I also feel good to know I support my community. However, I know most people don't feel like this - they'd buy directly from China if they could save a buck. Then, they wonder why their local storefronts are vacant.

I prefer to go online, read other user reviews, and browse the wider selection. It is the wider selection of online book stores that I really love. Instead of having to choose between 4 books or no books on a esoteric subject, I can choose from 100. And then I can buy them used and save 80%, or maybe only 60% after shipping. And no sales tax. Local book outlets will have a hard time beating that experience.

Janet's Java, Bonnie's Sundries, Heritage Optical, Hard Rock, Ben and Jerry's, FEDEX, DTOURS, the shoe shine stand, Hot Sam's, Rio Boutique, Jimmy John's, Papa Romano's, Mr. Pita are all still open in the Compuware building.

Look at the bright side folks It least this city get a mini mall at the Kresge Builiding.

rugbyman Guest

I've been reading this site for a long time now and I have to say THAT was the best zinger Danny's ever dropped.

that was hilarious Danny! about spewed coffee all over the laptop.

BTW, Lorax, are you referring to the Dadeland Mall when you talk about that specific mall?

Since Bing had given GM a tax break maybe GM should lower the price for leasing retail space in their building so more and more small businesses and retail could move in or want to move in there.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vivadetroit View Post
    that was hilarious Danny! about spewed coffee all over the laptop.

BTW, Lorax, are you referring to the Dadeland Mall when you talk about that specific mall?
    Dadeland is further south of me, my regional mall is Aventura, which lost all of the stores I mentioned in the previous post. The same stores have closed in the Dadeland area as well, or so I've been told.

Nationally the Linens & Things, Bombay, Circuit City stores have all closed. Ruby Tuesday is also gone, and Borders in Aventura looks like it's next- the music department is closed.

I understand from a contact at Borders corporate in Ann Arbor that although business was "soft" they would have kept the store open if a more favorable lease could have been negotiated. Supposedly the leasing agents for the Compuware Bldg. refused to negotiate. So apparently the building would rather let the space go dark.

Lorax Guest

Wow, how shortsighted of Compuware. That space will no doubt stay vacant for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I understand from a contact at Borders corporate in Ann Arbor that although business was "soft" they would have kept the store open if a more favorable lease could have been negotiated. Supposedly the leasing agents for the Compuware Bldg. refused to negotiate. So apparently the building would rather let the space go dark.

I hope Compuware isn't be managed by Hines Management. Those greedy bastards cleared stores and restaurants out of the Ren-Cen and Millender Center, that had existed from 10 to 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I hope Compuware isn't be managed by Hines Management. Those greedy bastards cleared stores and restaurants out of the Ren-Cen and Millender Center, that had existed from 10 to 20 years.
    Wow, how shortsighted of Compuware. That space will no doubt stay vacant for some time
    Was it really the landlord's fault or were these businesses offering a product no one was buying?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Was it really the landlord's fault or were these businesses offering a product no one was buying?
    Up until they were forced to close down by Hines. Olga's, Big Boys and Little Caesars did very well. So did Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut, all forced to close. The Fu Wah chinese restaurant in the Millender was one of the favorites for workers in the area, they were forced to close down, and of course, Karl Kado, the good buddy of Kwame's daddy who bribed city officials has opened up a chinese restaurant in Fu-Wah's old spot.

Sorry to get a bit off track, but from a strictly dollars and cents perspective, doesn't it make more sense to renegotiate a lease than have an empty store front for the next two years? This seems to be a recurring theme in Detroit. I can understand if a certain gourmet grocer is behind on payments by 10 months or something, you don't want to give them free rent, but other than that?

DetroitDad Guest

Some pictures taken last week;

Out with the old....

Attachment 1747

Attachment 1748

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    Sorry to get a bit off track, but from a strictly dollars and cents perspective, doesn't it make more sense to renegotiate a lease than have an empty store front for the next two years? This seems to be a recurring theme in Detroit. I can understand if a certain gourmet grocer is behind on payments by 10 months or something, you don't want to give them free rent, but other than that?

You're absolutely right. Unless the landlord thinks that they'll be able to get someone in that will pay the price they're looking for. Of course, if they're wrong, it's empty storefront time.

DetroitDad Guest

In with the new....

Attachment 1749
    New Mobile phone store in the 1001 Garage.

Attachment 1750

Attachment 1751
    New Kresge Shops.

Attachment 1752
    Rosa Parks Transit Center.

Attachment 1753

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast