Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mistaken Identity or Bad Profiling?

Soooooooooooooooo....how does one explain this?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Dalla...136626533.html

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post

Neither.... She broke the law and then lied about her identity. Sounds like the girl brought the problem upon herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Neither.... She broke the law and then lied about her identity. Sounds like the girl brought the problem upon herself.
    That's true... but the folks at Immigration and Customs Enforcement had a breech in their protocol, if they didn't realize they were being had. I hope they do a better job on folks coming in...

There are so many things wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    There are so many things wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start.
    I never said I don't feed bad for the girl. She's young, and by the sounds of things had some serious issues in her life. That being said, the original post seemed to imply that the U.S authorities were somehow responsible for deporting here against her will. That's obviously not what happened. At any time she could have come clean about her identity and none of this would have happened. If she was a young child I could understand, but at 14 she was competent enough to steal and secure false identification. I think it's safe to assume she was mature enough to know right from wrong, realized what she was doing and had the ability to stop it if she wanted.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-04-12 at 07:06 PM.

At any time she could have come clean about her identity and none of this would have happened.
    You don't know that. Maybe she tried to later and they wouldn't listen. The article doesn't say. Anyway, what conceivable reason could she have to think at that point that talking to the authorities more would work to her benefit?
    secure false identification
    That's not in the article, if you have other evidence please post.

Anyway, why the fuck am I even arguing details, the main point here is that the punishment for stealing and lying to the police isn't getting fucking deported to fucking Colombia, and the police and feds should do their job and make sure they aren't grossly violating people's rights like this. The fact that they mistook a black American teenager for a 22-year-old Colombian immigrant clearly shows that they just didn't give a flying fuck about her or her rights, and didn't even try to verify her identity. Did they ever consider the possibility that there might be more than one person with the same name in Houston? I mean, come on.

You're right. I misread the article as if she had given the officer fake ID and not just a false name. That really does not change much IMO. I guess were both just assuming a lot as the article does not provide all the details, but my take is that she probably did not want to be found as she obviously had multiple opportunities to come clean with her true identity.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-04-12 at 08:06 PM.

I think it's safe to assume she was mature enough to know right from wrong....
    The deportation of a 14-year-old U.S. citizen by ICE was wrong.

It is apparently not safe to assume that ICE is mature enough to know right from wrong.

my take is that she probably did not to be found as she obviously had multiple opportunities to come clean with her true identity.
    Does it matter? People who don't want to be found still have rights under the law, and it's still on ICE to do basic due diligence before they deport people. The fact that this can happen at all is horrifying and inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Does it matter? People who don't want to be found still have rights under the law, and it's still on ICE to do basic due diligence before they deport people. The fact that this can happen at all is horrifying and inexcusable.

Especially when you take someone's finger prints to confirm someone's identity to ENSURE you have the right criminal. So in essence because ICE decided to play Judge, Jury and executioner they arbitrarily decided to ship this TEENAGER off to one of the most hostile places on earth....

SMDH

I can't explain why the prints weren't run, but she continued her story upon arrival in Colombia, where she received Colombian citizenship and a job. So, two governments were deceived.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...a-heads-home/1

Half-assed work by all involved. You would've thought the fact that the girl didn't speak Spanish would be a dead giveaway

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post

It happened in Texas -- that's all I needed to hear.