Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

the key is having the building occupied as they did with the bakery.
    their rehab program creates residential demand and employees.
    good for them i hope they keep it up.

if more churches put their efforts into real change instead of political grand standing...

I read that site comments about the 24,000 cars going down Gratiot each way each day. Do many of those cars ever stop along the way? I remember working downtown taking that way for 2 years up Gratiot to I-94 and then out to either Moross, or points east. In all that time I never once dared stop along the way. It looked too intimidating. I hope this changes that... but it will take more than a few blocks of Gratiot getting rehabbed for that type of driving mentality to change.

Likewise, Gistok, I am usually zipping along that stretch along with a lot of other folks leaving downtown about 5 pm. I do hope that Gratiot can be made friendly enough to cause us all to stop, since that would give me way more options for dinner/errands on my way home.

I've made stops along Gratiot. It doesn't feel any more dangerous than other main roads in Detroit. Then again, that really doesn't make it sound any more appealing...

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I liked what I saw in that elevation drawing. I hope someone can snag some construction shots.
    I gave it a shot yesterday, but could not stop to take a proper photo.

Name:  construction.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  19.9 KB

^ That's a long streetwall! Which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    It may not be the best neighborhood in Michigan but it definately is not the worse...you could at least give them credit for having the guts to do something...anybody can sit back a criticize someone's else idea...at least they are doing something instead of just talking.
    Maybe the motorcycle club across the street from the site could keep an eye on the structure at night to make sure no one tampers with it. The hoodlums, gangbangers, and dope peddlers in that neighborhood respect that motorcycle club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Unlike the other folks defending this neighborhood, I'm basing this on stats.

The poorest, highest crime, most abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit are generally located on the East Side, and are especially located on or near Gratiot, from Van Dyke to 7 Mile.

And the nitpicking folks [["No, there's one block on Davison that's worse") are basically confirming my point. This neighborhood is very bad, in a city with no shortage of bad neighborhoods.
    van dyke & 7 mile is the opposite direction. Actually the worst neighborhoods in the city are Brightmoor, Dexter Linwood and 48205. Only one of those are east. The eastside may be more abandoned but thats mostly because the eastside was very industrial. As plants left, people left. The westside was built to be more upper class than the east from the start

http://www.cpix.net/jsp/listings/lis...?ID=55_9684929 Space is available, but this says the second floor residential is all leased.

Anyone notice the buildings across the street from this got knocked down over the winter? They seemed in good shape, too, and at least one of them had been occupied up until very recently. Any related plans for those lots, do you suppose?

I got some shots of this completed this week. People still interested in it? I can upload them.

Please do!

Name:  fullsizeoutput_f43.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_f45.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_f3d.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  115.1 KB

This is pretty cool development. Decent architecture as well.

My only complaint is that there are no entrances to the 1st floor commercial space on Gratiot Avenue. Someone walking from the street or the neighborhood would have get access into the gated parking lot behind the building to get to the first floor space.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    My only complaint is that there are no entrances to the 1st floor commercial space on Gratiot Avenue.
    https://x.lnimg.com/photo/poster_1920/6a35d121b2ab477bb10e3c2118aebda8.jpg

Are those only residential entries along Gratiot?
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-23-19 at 11:51 PM.

I like see these two recent developments built along the sidewalks instead of having to be built in back of huge parking lots such as the businesses and condos along Jefferson had been designed during the 80s to present time. Gratiot could rebuild the streetwall that it once had from Russell to 8 mile road with retail on the first floor and condos or offices filling spaces on the upper floors making Gratiot one of the most busiest strips in Detroit. I am concern that these developments would raise the property value of the neighborhoods that runs along Gratiot pricing long times residents out of their paid for homes that had been passed down to them or they had paid them off themselves

My dads house on Seneca off Gratiot is still there and looking good. He lived in it back in the 30’s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2