Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tom Boy Market in Midtown

This wanna-be Market is a CANCER to a progressive community located on Second Av. I can smell the spoil meat and garbage from walking across the street, 6 lanes across. The place smell like a dirty mop and a wet dog. WHERE'S THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT!!?? Does it exist in Detroit? OMFG! Why are they still open and why do we allow poor services and dusty expired can foods around here? The place looks like its vacant, trash everywhere, and crack-heads passed out drunk on the curb. They're robbing the community of money and not putting it back. This is NOT acceptable in the suburbs, WHY here in the city?

You live in that area, you have no car, you have no other place to shop, you might be happy that place is there.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You live in that area, you have no car, you have no other place to shop, you might be happy that place is there.
    The market is essentially one of the fews things left of the old Cass Corridor [[and aptly symbolic of it).

But yeah, I did manage to find a non-bias review of Tomboy [[dated July of 2011)...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tomboy-markets-detroit

While the facade of this market is absolutely frightening... once you get inside, its ok!

They have some produce, I have yet to experience more than a big fat cantaloupe and shrink wrapped watermelon, but those two experiences were great! juicy, ripe and delicious. I mean, really, this isn't the market to do all of your shopping at. Especially for produce. But it's good if yr in a pinch and need some tomato paste or other canned goods, tp, chips, snacky stuff. They have a small beer selection, and sell smokes too.

Everyone I've encountered here has been really friendly, including the customers. Yes, Tomboy smells funny. No, they don't have cold soda pop. Yes, they have household items like mops, soaps and sanitary napkins. [[is that too weird of a grouping? Meh...) No, they dont have a deli. But if you live in the hood and don't feel like walking/biking/driving over to University, then go here.

BIKES::: you can lock yr bike up to any of the blue anti-theft-of-carts barrier.
    It's no Kroger or even Glory Foods, but I'm sure the poor/homeless/mentally ill people that still live in the area and haven't been forced out through gentrification probably still utilize it to some extent.

The 'TOMB!' Ugh!!! Have not heard about that dump in ages.... we used to call it that as the "O" and "Y" of the sign was burnt out for years.

Stinker substandard stores like the survive because the people who live near them are a 'captive audience' who cannot get out the city or to better stores in the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The market is essentially one of the fews things left of the old Cass Corridor [[and aptly symbolic of it).

But yeah, I did manage to find a non-bias review of Tomboy [[dated July of 2011)...

Last edited by Zacha341; January-03-12 at 11:22 PM.

The food in this store is actually not bad. They have good looking and tasting meat and some produce. Could the outside use a facelift? Sure. It looks like an old Soviet grocery. But really the food is fine.

Hey, that Indian family is trying! The place came pre-equipped with all the sketchy characters outside and the funky smell that seems to be permanent. I went there all the time when I lived around the corner. They were always nice to me, and even though they wouldn't give Ms. Pat a discount for the all the cat food she bought, they gave me a 2011 calendar with kitties on it.
    Now I stay in the North End and honestly, no, I don't miss the Tomboy. But running a decent independent grocery store in that location seems like a rough racket.

OK, point taken. I've not been in there in years. And it is hard to run a grocery store. Oany other business with floatsum hanging out in front, even the relatively safe types...
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Hey, that Indian family is trying! The place came pre-equipped with all the sketchy characters outside and the funky smell that seems to be permanent. I went there all the time when I lived around the corner. They were always nice to me, and even though they wouldn't give Ms. Pat a discount for the all the cat food she bought, they gave me a 2011 calendar with kitties on it.
    Now I stay in the North End and honestly, no, I don't miss the Tomboy. But running a decent independent grocery store in that location seems like a rough racket.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

You mean ambivalent [[or possibly equanimous), not unbiased. You have no way of gauging whether this reviewer has a bias. For all you know, it could be the owner trying to get something "balanced" said about his place.

HB

From the one and only, Detroit Blogger John:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=604

I've been shopping here for years, but I admit it could use some polishing. The Midtown neighborhood association has talked about paying to demolish the awning as it encourages loitering/pan handling/illicit trades. I don't think the current owners are willing to invest to keep up with the rising standards of the neighborhood. Which is too bad because it isolates them from the majority of the midtown market share. Their refrigeration units are too old and I don't trust the meat. The fresh vegetables never look anything close to fresh and I can't remember the last time I even saw a piece of fruit in there. Everything else that is processed or precooked, i happily buy from here as its an easier walk than going to University or Spartan Foods.

Yes! All is needed is a exterior/interior spruce up. Aren't there a Midtown storefront grant of some sort that they can apply for? Or are they not willing to invest? It will be a good thing for the community..

Never been in here, but I think it is worse than Kmart. Next thing you may know, you may see a product that expired in 1992! This is something that indeed does not belong in the city. Not the suburbs either, but maybe in rural Iraq. At least I don't live anywhere near it.
    Last edited by mtburb; January-06-12 at 12:33 PM.

Here we go. People moving to Cass Corridor and complaining about Tom Boy. Um... yeah. This ain't Bloomfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Here we go. People moving to Cass Corridor and complaining about Tom Boy. Um... yeah. This ain't Bloomfield.
    Maybe gentrification, to the extent that it exists in Detroit, is more about newcomers consciously trying to push "undesirable" elements out of the neighborhood than it is about rising rents pricing people out. I wish the News article from this thread had focused more on this type of story and less on people from Southgate not being able to afford their dream homes in Corktown.

From the pictures in Detroit Blogger John's blog, it doesn't look too awful bad inside. One of my sons lives in the area and he only goes in there when he has to. I think the people outside scare him a bit. I doubt the people running it are making much money.

That's the whole point I'm making here...
    Why does it have to be in the suburb's in order to get fresh food around here?? That's idiotic...why I have to be rich and wealthy to get fresh food? It's people like yourself who settle's for anything, just cause. When I have family visit they should be ale to walk to a decent grocery just to get milk and vegatable's? I'm not asking for a "Gourmet Market", I'm asking for "Good, fresh quality food". Just a few block's will be a Whole Foods Market [[HOPEFULLY SOON), sooo...? Your point is..? I don't have an excuse for life and accept everything life has to give me. That store is not acceptable, plain and simple. The people in this region is soo backwards to me..smh, Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    From the pictures in Detroit Blogger John's blog, it doesn't look too awful bad inside. One of my sons lives in the area and he only goes in there when he has to. I think the people outside scare him a bit. I doubt the people running it are making much money.
    I'm sure the people running it are doing fine. If they weren't making money I'm sure they wouldn't be in business.

University Market is pretty good. Not many stores are right around the corner 'walkable' but at least UM is not as bad as the TOMB, yet not 'gourmet' specialty that is out of the price reach of many consumers in the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    That's the whole point I'm making here...
    Why does it have to be in the suburb's in order to get fresh food around here?? That's idiotic...why I have to be rich and wealthy to get fresh food? It's people like yourself who settle's for anything, just cause. When I have family visit they should be ale to walk to a decent grocery just to get milk and vegatable's? I'm not asking for a "Gourmet Market", I'm asking for "Good, fresh quality food". Just a few block's will be a Whole Foods Market [[HOPEFULLY SOON), sooo...? Your point is..? I don't have an excuse for life and accept everything life has to give me. That store is not acceptable, plain and simple. The people in this region is soo backwards to me..smh, Oh well.

That's where I usually go, but why do I have to waste gas just to get milk? When I can easily walk..but I guess that's not an option for me. CITY LIVING huh, according to some folks on here. It's what your pay for...lol that's a joke to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    University Market is pretty good. Not many stores are right around the corner 'walkable' but at least UM is not as bad as the TOMB, yet not 'gourmet' specialty that is out of the price reach of many consumers in the area.

Is it really that difficult to run a "clean, safe, "up-to-code" business in this city? That sell fresh simple food.

Go ride pass University Market and then ride pass Tom Boy...do some comparison. A great example of a clean, well-lit, quality service market. The parking is mostly packed and is very busy. You will not see a single car parked at Tom Boy Market but homeless guy's and drunk's passed out in front of the building. Its very dark and dangerous. IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE! There's great businesses around Cass Corridor that's look like it can be in "Birmingham". Marios restaurant, Traffic Jam Snug, Slow to GO, Avalon Bakery, many many more coffee shops, salon, retail shops, bars etc. When we sit back and say "Enough is Enough" then you will see the change in our city. Right now, it's like...whatever? UN-ACCEPTABLE!!! LOUD AND CLEAR.

I will be glad when the Ye Olde Butcher's Shoppe open. It will give Midtowners another reasonably priced market to shop at. I wonder what is taking it so long to stock up and open. Tom Boy's owner need a little fire lit under his butt by community groups, Wayne State, and the city. They will update the market then.

You will not see a single car parked at Tom Boy Market
    First you want walkable city living, and then your metric of a good grocery store is one that has lots of cars parked in front of it. Make up your mind.

I hear that! I don't need the store to be walkable... that's more like New York where no one drives, and clutching bag of groceries on the subway on up the brownstone steps is the culture. I'd just like to not have to go past Telegraph road every time I want to go grocery shopping [[well actually there are some closer in the burbs. but just saying)!
    Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    First you want walkable city living, and then your metric of a good grocery store is one that has lots of cars parked in front of it. Make up your mind.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-07-12 at 08:51 PM.

Yeah, what's up with that? I've never seen a store take so long to open...
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I will be glad when the Ye Olde Butcher's Shoppe open. It will give Midtowners another reasonably priced market to shop at. I wonder what is taking it so long to stock up and open. Tom Boy's owner need a little fire lit under his butt by community groups, Wayne State, and the city. They will update the market then.

Yes, and when you've seen and experienced better albeit 'expensive' specialty grocery experiences like Holiday Market in Royal Oak going to the TOMB is really a bad day [[unacceptable)! I go to University Market where there are quality meats and produce... and maybe even an avocado or whole ginger from time to time, something you'd never find at some 'inner city' stores! I also like Savon down on Livernois near University Distict.
    ...Go ride pass University Market and then ride pass Tom Boy...do some comparison. A great example of a clean, well-lit, quality service market. The parking is mostly packed and is very busy. You will not see a single car parked at Tom Boy Market but homeless guy's and drunk's passed out in front of the building. Its very dark and dangerous. IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-07-12 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast