Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Moroun attempts to get himself excused from hearing.

Uhhh, what?

Attorneys for Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel [[Matty) Moroun are trying to have Moroun excused from attending next week’s hearing at which a Wayne County judge will impose penalties on Moroun’s company stemming from a long-running dispute over bridge ramps.

Moroun’s lawyers have asked Wayne County Circuit Judge Prentis Edwards to excuse Moroun from appearing before him as Edwards ordered for the Jan. 12 hearing.
    Edwards ruled late last year that the Detroit International Bridge Company was in contempt of court for not completing the long-delayed Gateway project at the bridge as the Michigan Department of Transportation has demanded. The Gateway project was designed to connect the Ambassador Bridge directly to I-75 and I-96 through a series of new ramps.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012010...text|FRONTPAGE

The judge hopefully will have had enough of Matty's shenanigans and force him to square up. With a little bit of creative jurisprudence he could put him under house arrest and make him live in his decrepit depot until he builds the ramps as directed. Watching this sham unfold over the years has illustrated some of the ills involved around private ownership of key infrastructure pieces. I'd rather pay Canada double than have this guy have a monopoly over local bridge transit.

I hope the judge throws both of them in jail for contempt.

I was downtown yesterday and had to sit thru jury selection and heard every exceuse in the book to try and get out of appearing.