Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit property taxes are too *#*# high!

THE DETROIT NEWS IS ONCE AGAIN REPORTING ON TAX DELIQUENT HOMEOWNERS WHO BUY BACK THAT PROPERTIES AT AUCTIONS.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO01/201030368

THE NEWSPAPER AND THE LOCAL POLITICIANS ARE FAILING TO ADDRESS THE REAL PROBLEM!

THE PROPERTY TAXES IN DETROIT IS TOO #*#* HIGH!

ANY TIME YOUR PROPERTY TAX ASSESMENT IS MORE THAN 50% OF THE VALUE OF YOUR PROPERTY, THE TAX IS TOO #*#* HIGH!

lilpup Guest

ok, so what services do you want cut?

No sympathy for slum lords who don't pay their taxes. Start paying your taxes and then the city can talk about assessments.

My taxes in Warren have dropped from $3000 in 2006 down to $1950 on my latest assessment.

A good friend now rents out the house he grew up in, on Stahelin, in that ramshackle area of Rosedale Park. It's a postwar bungalow, wood sided, decent shape, original Briggs bathroom, and could sell for around 5K. He pays more than 5K in prop taxes/yr. He rents it out, at a loss, once you factor in a basic fire insurance policy, and an even bigger loss once you figure in maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    A good friend now rents out the house he grew up in, on Stahelin, in that ramshackle area of Rosedale Park. It's a postwar bungalow, wood sided, decent shape, original Briggs bathroom, and could sell for around 5K. He pays more than 5K in prop taxes/yr. He rents it out, at a loss, once you factor in a basic fire insurance policy, and an even bigger loss once you figure in maintenance.
    no pictures? what a tease.

They know what needs to be done,time to change local politicians.

"No pictures? What a tease."

Richard, feel free to leave detailed instructions how to upload them. I have a couple original Briggs Beautyware Bathrooms that I service regularly. One has the original sconces, as well the the original "Diamond" tub fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    The services to areas of the city where no services are required and eliminating wasteful spending such as the wheel chair ramps being installed on curbs in the hood.

This is true for many of the landlords in the city. It's ridiculous that taxes are so much lower in Warren when they get better city services and have higher property values.

Quote Originally Posted by riviera View Post
    The services to areas of the city where no services are required and eliminating wasteful spending such as the wheel chair ramps being installed on curbs in the hood.
    Leaving what options for people in wheelchairs and other handicapped people?

Those wheel chair ramps were court ordered. The ramps are tied to an American disablities act lawsuit and the city was required to put them in.

Occurrence Guest

Wheelchair ramps on curbs make sense in neighborhoods with an actual population of people. I have seen photos of some of the ramps that were put in, and it really does look ridiculous.

Hamtragedy, if your friend is really paying $5k in taxes on a rental property, then that means that the Assessor's Office has placed a market value on the property of approx. $130k [[at non-homestead rates). If this exceeds the market in that neighborhood [[and it sounds like it does), the solution is a tax appeal. Values in most neighborhoods have fallen precipitously in the last 5-6 years or so. Assessments have not fallen at the same rate [[they never do). If things are so out of whack for a particular property, there is a process for fixing the problem. Yes, it's not a very efficient solution, but it's the same all over.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    1. Eliminate the Airport
    2. Eliminate the Arts & Grants Department
    3. Dispose of the Ethics Board
    4. Cable Commission [[Media Services)
    5. Neigborhood City Halls [[Dump it!)
    6. Dept. of Adminstrative Hearings [[Not needed).
    7. Detroit Film Office
    8. Detroit Building Authority
    9. General Services Dept [[What is a General Service Dept?...It is DPW)
    10. Historic Commission and Advisory Boards
    11. Human Rights Department
    12. Law Dept. [[just contract with the Berenstien family)
    13. Office of Neighborhood Commercial Revitalization [[ repetitive of the Planning Department).
    14. Public Lighting Department [[Contract with DTE, and eliminate the Dept).
    15. Recreation Department
    16. Senior Citizens Dept.
    Please note that this is only my condensed version. All departments listed above should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    1. Eliminate the Airport
    2. Eliminate the Arts & Grants Department
    3. Dispose of the Ethics Board
    4. Cable Commission [[Media Services)
    5. Neigborhood City Halls [[Dump it!)
    6. Dept. of Adminstrative Hearings [[Not needed).
    7. Detroit Film Office
    8. Detroit Building Authority
    9. General Services Dept [[What is a General Service Dept?...It is DPW)
    10. Historic Commission and Advisory Boards
    11. Human Rights Department
    12. Law Dept. [[just contract with the Berenstien family)
    13. Office of Neighborhood Commercial Revitalization [[ repetitive of the Planning Department).
    14. Public Lighting Department [[Contract with DTE, and eliminate the Dept).
    15. Recreation Department
    16. Senior Citizens Dept.
    Please note that this is only my condensed version. All departments listed above should be abolished.
    17[[should be no. 1): Reduce the clowncil staffs to a single secretary for each clowncil person and eliminate their city cars. Give them fistful of bus tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Hamtragedy, if your friend is really paying $5k in taxes on a rental property, then that means that the Assessor's Office has placed a market value on the property of approx. $130k [[at non-homestead rates). If this exceeds the market in that neighborhood [[and it sounds like it does), the solution is a tax appeal. Values in most neighborhoods have fallen precipitously in the last 5-6 years or so. Assessments have not fallen at the same rate [[they never do). If things are so out of whack for a particular property, there is a process for fixing the problem. Yes, it's not a very efficient solution, but it's the same all over.
    Have you tried this? I still get my taxes done in Warrendale and I compared my experience in Oak Park asking for a reassessment with my tax guy's for his multiple rentals in the city. Our stories couldn't have been more different. If half the homeowners in the city did this the city would lose most of their tax base so they make it next to impossible to get a fair assessment.