Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AAA Michigan LIES

Was quoted a price by my agent, was told that I would pay less paying upfront, matched a quote from a different company. Surprise!!! got my bill, it was $300 MORE per 6 months. Perfect driving record, good credit. Oh - spent 50 minutes ON HOLD with their customer disservice center, where they told me everything the guy said was a "miscommunication." I am DONE with them.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Was quoted a price by my agent, was told that I would pay less paying upfront, matched a quote from a different company. Surprise!!! got my bill, it was $300 MORE per 6 months. Perfect driving record, good credit. Oh - spent 50 minutes ON HOLD with their customer disservice center, where they told me everything the guy said was a "miscommunication." I am DONE with them.

that's AAA for ya. someone on here, recently, was looking for advice on auto insurance and i advise that AAA will give you a good rate then BAM, raise it before you get the statment in the mail. i've been done with them for 20 years

AAA is horrible.

When I bought my first house in south Warren, I was moving from Clawson. AAA gave me a quote and I separated from my parents' account.

Months later AAA informed me that they quoted me using the Clawson "rate code" instead of Warren's. They said my premiums would be going up.

I said, "Oh, you mean the next time I renew my contract will go up?"

AAA told me that my price was going up immediately, regardless of the quote we agreed to. I objected, but they told me that I just had to deal with it.

AAA's technology is HORRIBLE. To change your automated credit card deduction you have to fill out a form and fax\mail it to them, then it literally takes "20 business days".

AAA's website is the worst, you can't do anything online.

All their policies start with prefixes like AUT for auto, HOM, for home, etc... My homeowner's policy number was something like HOM0123456789 [[with the 4th character being a zero). I'm not homophobic, but when would you tell someone that their homeowner's policy number is HOM0123456789. Every time I got documentation regarding the policy the policy number was on there and it's just too darn funny.

AAA left me and my 6 month old daughter stranded on the side of I-75 for 90 minutes with no heat in 20 degree weather. It wasn't a snow event or anything, I just had a mechanical issue that disabled my car.

Needless to say, I hate AAA with a passion. I switched to Liberty Mutual and I'm saving a lot of money now.

I dumped them a very long time ago.

The only thing I miss is the free maps.

Geico beat my original AAA quote. Anyone have history with them?

Liberty Mutual wants over $6k/yr for a FOCUS
    Last edited by rb336; January-03-12 at 12:04 PM.

The biggest lie the Insurance corporations do is redline districts [[ especially the ghetto slums in the inner cities) and cash in profits. $$$$$$

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

American Greed at work!

For the 99 Percenters and Guy Fawkes

Neda, I miss you so.

Geico beat my original AAA quote. Anyone have history with them?
    I've never had a Geico quote come in under anyone else. They advertise so much I'm shocked they turn a profit at all.

We use AAA insurance for our cars and home, and it's pretty reasonable. We shop around every other year and they've been the lowest amongst the big firms.

The Geico Scammers came in WAAAYY high when I checked them. Highest of several, even with no accidents or recent tickets.

lilpup Guest

AAA also offers group discounts through credit unions and other organizations. Easy, peasy to deal with all the years I've had them.

Leaving drivers stranded for 90 minutes is the tow company, not AAA. The tow companies AAA uses are supposed to be available to respond within 45 minutes and are also, by contract, not supposed to have anyone with a felony record doing AAA runs. Tow companies do lie, though...

Without reading anything in the post, I can tell you my reason for not using AAA. They actively campaign and lobby in Washington to eliminate all federal funding for mass transit, bike initiatives, and transfer the funds to road construction/maintenance.

The percent of federal transport $$ for bikes, transit, etc, is currently under 5% of that pie. So fuck them.

I have always found AAA cheaper than anyone else - that is until my wife had an infraction last year and our premium doubled.

I left AAA when they upped my rates for an accident I was involved in, but they suffered NO LOSS! I paid for the damage myself.

Since then I have been insured through the Sterling Agency in Sterling Heights. They handle multiple carriers, but offer home/car discounts and other amenities. Good rates...great coverage...great people. Here's their website if you're interested:

Sterling Insurance Group
    P: 586.323.5700
    F: 586.323.5703
    www.sterlingagency.com

Also...I have had claims for both my home and auto coverage. Never had a problem getting my money or repairs handled. Would like them to know I gave the reference...if you are going to call please private message me so I can give you my real name.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Without reading anything in the post, I can tell you my reason for not using AAA. They actively campaign and lobby in Washington to eliminate all federal funding for mass transit, bike initiatives, and transfer the funds to road construction/maintenance.
    Do you have documentation of this or are you just spouting off what someone told you? I do know they are pro-safety and have even given the city of Detroit thousands to fix intersections where there are high crash levels. They probably have a business reason for this as it reduces thier overall pay-outs. Likewise they are also for the helmet law, did you come to this conclusion because wearing a helmet takes away your rights? I have never heard of them being anti-bike or transit.

AAA does offer roadside assistance to bicyclists:
    http://bikeportland.org/2009/07/07/a...bicycles-20723
    This is what I found on transit:
    http://www.aaa.com/aaa/publicaffairs...portation.html

Even these two sources are a bit suspect. There is a lot of grey there, but it seems that there is enough there to contradict your assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Leaving drivers stranded for 90 minutes is the tow company, not AAA. The tow companies AAA uses are supposed to be available to respond within 45 minutes and are also, by contract, not supposed to have anyone with a felony record doing AAA runs. Tow companies do lie, though...
    I called back multiple times to AAA. Each time I called back they kept pushing wait time further out. They even acknowledge that I should have been a priority because my car had no heat and because I had an infant with me.

I understand that they're at the mercy of the tow company, but they need to pick a better company and better prioritize.

I've had GEICO for close to 10 years, and I'm happy with them.

I had one accident while with GEICO, and the "other side" claimed that their "infant" was injured in the accident. The "infant" was an adult child of 19. The car that they were driving had a
    way expired inspection sticker.

GEICO went after them with guns blazing, and I never heard a peep from the "other sides"
    attorney again.

No increase in rate either.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by krapug1 View Post
    I've had GEICO for close to 10 years, and I'm happy with them.

I had one accident while with GEICO, and the "other side" claimed that their "infant" was injured in the accident. The "infant" was an adult child of 19. The car that they were driving had a
    way expired inspection sticker.

GEICO went after them with guns blazing, and I never heard a peep from the "other sides"
    attorney again.

No increase in rate either.

Ken
    This may be true where you live, However in Michigan we have no-fault insurance. In Michigan, Your insurance pays for repairs to you and your car, not the other parties. With no fault insurance the most you can sue the other [[Legally insured) party for is $400. The only one the other party could sue for big bucks is their own insurance company.

Our No-fault system cuts down on lawsuits, but leaves us with very high insurance rates.

Michigan also does not require vehicle inspections.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    With no fault insurance the most you can sue the other [[Legally insured) party for is $400. The only one the other party could sue for big bucks is their own insurance company.
    The Michigan mini-tort maximum is actually $500. As far as the rest of the damages go the insurance companies subrogate back and forth, it's just invisible to the insureds. No fault policies don't automatically mean subrogation isn't available - it all depends on the nature of the accidents, the drivers involved, the specifics of the policies, etc.

I just filed a complaint with the state against my insurance company called Unitrin Direct. I will admit they were definitely the cheapest rate I got by far for a 2007 Colbalt. I've never filed a claim so I don't know how satisfactory that process would be but I've seen some complaints on the web. AAA and State Farm were RIDICULOUS in their rates. I think State Farm wanted like $4,000 plus or some crap and it didn't get much better after lessing the coverage amounts and deductible. I used to use AAA in the past and they were still high in my opinion.

The reason for my complaint though was the fact that the rate from Unitrin and other insurance companines is steadily going up every six months even if you have no claims, no change in credit scores [[which is shady enough reasoning for auto insurance) etc. They state the reason is costs of medical equipement, ambulance, staff, etc.

So basically they can just keep raising it up and doing whatever they hell they want even if they never paid out one dime for you.

Guess that's the way the cookies crumble.

SteveJ Guest

I actually have Geico and the annual renewal is about to happen so I called AAA today. Geico beats them by $300 a year. I told AAA, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Do you have documentation of this or are you just spouting off what someone told you? I do know they are pro-safety and have even given the city of Detroit thousands to fix intersections where there are high crash levels. They probably have a business reason for this as it reduces thier overall pay-outs. Likewise they are also for the helmet law, did you come to this conclusion because wearing a helmet takes away your rights? I have never heard of them being anti-bike or transit.

AAA does offer roadside assistance to bicyclists:
    http://bikeportland.org/2009/07/07/a...bicycles-20723
    This is what I found on transit:
    http://www.aaa.com/aaa/publicaffairs...portation.html

Even these two sources are a bit suspect. There is a lot of grey there, but it seems that there is enough there to contradict your assertion.
    I'm going off what I was told by someone whose research i trust and who works in the transportation field. I will dig a bit and try to see what I can find.

Edit: so far I've found the original controversy that I seem to be remembering wrong. They wanted to eliminate the 1,5% of highway trust fund funding used for non-motorized projects.

Here's an interesting article from Portland
    http://bikeportland.org/2010/12/10/r...p-monday-44381

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2010/12/13...ity-for-bikes/
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; January-03-12 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The biggest lie the Insurance corporations do is redline districts [[ especially the ghetto slums in the inner cities) and cash in profits. $$$$$$

I remember a few years back, I checked rates for hamtramck and b'ham. Hamtramck was, literally, 400% more -- WITH NO COMPREHENSIVE or COLLISION

A family member of mine works for an insurance co thats owned by AAA. They don't like AAA either.

Just changed insurance companies today for both car and homeowners. Savings will be $700 a year for pretty much the same coverage on the two policies. Won't bother naming companies, but I guess it does pay to shop around.

I remember a few years back, I checked rates for hamtramck and b'ham. Hamtramck was, literally, 400% more -- WITH NO COMPREHENSIVE or COLLISION
    My favorite Detroit insurance story:

My friend worked downtown for a few years. He was driving up Woodward on his way home [[near the Fox I believe) and when he came to a red light, the guy behind him didn't stop - plowed into the back of his car, pushing him into the car in front of him. When he got out, neither the driver in front or behind wanted him to take down their information - but a cop showed up pretty quick to check things out. The guy in front of him had a bench warrant, the guy who hit him didn't have a driver's license, insurance or current registration. The cop was nice enough to write out a long, detailed report to send in to his insurance agency.

His insurance rates didn't go up - he already paid more because he works in Detroit, but he had to eat the deductible since the mini-tort went nowhere.

I have multiple stories involving accidents in Detroit where the other drivers didn't have insurance, fled the scene, etc...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast