Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hot Taco opens tomorrow

If you've been on Park Ave you've probably seen the sign for it. Looking foward to finally trying this place out.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ho...68590643199529

looks interesting, may check it out soon..

Excelente!

They asked potential employees for photo resumes... never heard of that before.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I sent in mine. My response was... EWWWW no thanks!

Considering the Beavis and Butthead-esque restaurant name, I'm not surprised.

I hope this place is good, given that there aren't any authentic downtown taco choices, but I assume they're trying to get the drunken bar crowd.

Sweet...a fast food version of Abercrombie and Fitch. Count this as a place I'll never eat at.

This is symbolic of a sleazy business. I can almost create a mental picture the awful managers there...

Detroit can use A LOT!!! [[A LOT!!!) less of these businesses and business owners. This is a huge part of the reason why people are struggling to find work too, beacuse the employers don't know how to look for employees in the first place [[or they do so illegally, taking you right back into that 1950s mentality).

BTW, the Detroit section of Craigslist is FILLED with these type of businesses and business owners and these type of job ads. It's sick...
    Last edited by 313WX; January-02-12 at 01:25 PM.

We need more independent shops such as Hot Tacos. Let us have something that would taste good and have people from all around coming to it.

That is pretty weird but maybe they just don't want skinheads or someone with a neck or tear duct tattoo or... a Latino. You know, someone you wouldn't trust serving tacos. Are they going to have girls in short shorts or something? I'm pretty eager for a new lunch option but that's kind of weird and/or creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    That is pretty weird but maybe they just don't want skinheads or someone with a neck or tear duct tattoo or... a Latino. You know, someone you wouldn't trust serving tacos. Are they going to have girls in short shorts or something? I'm pretty eager for a new lunch option but that's kind of weird and/or creepy.
    That's what interviews [[and clear cut dress codes) are for.

The problem you get when asking for the photos of applicants when they apply for them is you tend to walk the line of race/gender/age discrimination and thus open yourself up to legal liability. And chances are you're going to discriminate against candidates on one of those basis if you're asking for a photo BEFORE the interview. Serious job applicants don't waste their time with slime balls like that. You're serving a taco for minimum wage [[and I'm not doubting either that these people won't pay under the table to avoid taxes) and/or tips, not modeling expensive clothing items.

Again, these are sleazy businesses and business owners Detroit [[regionally) can do without.

The way that they responded to the query that it implied "HOT" probably means that they are looking for bored Abercrombie types wearing turtlenecks and not making eye contact with you.

And on another post [[this all from their Facebook page linked above, by the way), they made the pun about "WOOD" being in the Hot Taco when they were putting up studs during construction.

So, yeah, sounds neat.

what's the parking situation around there? meters only?

I can't wait for the day when people start talking about parking spots being replaced by buildings in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what's the parking situation around there? meters only?

Ate there last night. They had a special going $1.00 tacos. Usually $2.50. I wouldn't pay more than $1.00 though. It was their first day open and they had no menus, no to-go cups. And all they were serving were either pork or chicken tacos on either corn or flour tortillas. The tacos weren't bad, but I would have a hard time spending $2.50 on one when I can get a full blown shwarma at Bucharest for $4 and change.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Ate there last night. They had a special going $1.00 tacos. Usually $2.50. I wouldn't pay more than $1.00 though. It was their first day open and they had no menus, no to-go cups. And all they were serving were either pork or chicken tacos on either corn or flour tortillas. The tacos weren't bad, but I would have a hard time spending $2.50 on one when I can get a full blown shwarma at Bucharest for $4 and change.
    where is Bucharest? [[the restaurant, not the country)

I went in there last night as well. Wasn't impressed. I heard about them opening back in the summer, so was excited for them to open. We walked in, and were not greeted. I had to ask for menus [[they didn't have any yet). So asked what they were offering instead. I felt like we had to do all the work and ask every question possible. My boyfriend tried to make small talk to them and said "were glad you're open. We've been waiting for you guys to open since we heard of it"....and they just stared at him. I would think that since no one else was in there, that they would have wanted to at least welcome us, tell us what they're all about, ask where we heard of them, etc.
    The tacos were decent and fresh, but I would not pay over a dollar either. The customer service alone really bothered me. I'll give it one more chance

I sent them a picture of my butt and they responded they would give me an interview if I took a breath mint and had that hairlip fixed first.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; January-03-12 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    where is Bucharest? [[the restaurant, not the country)
    It's right next to Park Bar [[they are in fact an annex of the Park Bar).

So was there evidence that the photo resumes were being utilized?

Haha nope. I don't think they are using photos from resumes...at least from what I saw

"Hot Taco"? Photo resumes? Sounds like a Mexican Hooters to me. They have plenty of those in SoCal. Dunno if the pool of senoritas in Metro Detroit is deep enough

I hope Sean Harrington reads this stuff. Sounds like improvements need to be made.

Stromberg2

Can't wait to try it out. If you follow their facebook page, there really should be no surprises going on the 1st or 2nd day being open. I will give them a fair chance and try it in a week or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I hope Sean Harrington reads this stuff. Sounds like improvements need to be made.

Stromberg2

^^
    That was my thinking...no place is perfect in the first few days.

Stromberg2

I was in there for lunch today. Theyre working out a few service kinks [[its the first couple days here, cut them some slack), but the tacos were excellent. I had one of each: chorizo, steak, pork, and chicken. All were very tasty. I was pleasantly surprised.

How about we prop up new businesses in the area instead of trashing them the minute they open...especially under circumstances [[as they are here) where the product is quite good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast