Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bring Panera to Detroit Facebook group

Hello,

This most likely will appear as a low-priority on residents 'Detroit's Needs' list, but I have taken it upon myself to attempt at luring a Panera Bread to the City of Detroit, by showing interest on the Facebook group site. I believe that having a Panera Bread in the city will showcase that the city can handle the businesses of today. Also, it will help to increase foot traffic if it gets built and add yet another restaurant option to Detroit.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-...85190128246212

lilpup Guest

mom & pop shops are way better than most corporate chain crap

Why not?? Add it to the list. Cheesecake Factory, House of Blues, now Panera!! We don't need no stinkin' coneys or ham places!

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    mom & pop shops are way better than most corporate chain crap
    I don't think Albanian or Chaldean owned Coneys is something I would prefer over Panera.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I don't think Albanian or Chaldean owned Coneys is something I would prefer over Panera.
    I would prefer if we can just have a functional city over any of that crap.

A Panera Bread, which is a 10-20 minute drive/car ride from any location in the city, is no where near the top of my list on the most important things that should be addressed in Detroit.

lilpup Guest

avoid the chains - keep the $$ local

I'll sign your petition; more than once while working downtown I have wished there was a Panera nearby. They serve good, fresh food.

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    avoid the chains - keep the $$ local
    I guess those people that work at chains must commute from Indiana every day.

I guess those people that work at chains must commute from Indiana every day.
    Same failed mentality that says if a car is built here it doesn't matter where the profits go and are spent.

http://www.buylocalrogue.org/index.p...d=51&Itemid=86

The study found that spending $100 at one of the neighborhood's independent businesses created $68 in additional local economic activity, while spending $100 at a chain produced only $43 worth of local impact. The difference was due to four factors:

Local Payroll—The locally owned businesses spent a larger share of their revenue on local labor [[29 vs. 23 percent), because they carried out all management functions on-site, rather than at corporate headquarters.

Procurement—The local retailers spent more than twice as much buying goods and services from other local businesses. They banked locally; hired local accountants, attorneys, designers, and other professionals; advertised in local media; and sourced inventory from local firms.

Profits—Because their owners live in the area, a larger portion of the local retailers’ profits stayed within the local economy.

Charitable giving—The local retailers donated more on average to local charities and community organizations than the chains did.

SteveJ Guest

What about the fact that most small business owners offer no benefits, low wages, and the owner reaps all the rewards. People can hype up small business' all they want but they royally screw their employees. I always tell people if you get a job, find a big corporation or the government, small business will pay you dirt wages while the owner pockets everything and lives in a 4k sq ft house in Troy.

I think a better suggestion would be to start a "we need a healthy soup/sandwich place" rather than to lobby one particular chain. Tag Grand Traverse Pie [[a chain I tried in the Lansing area, pretty good and I assume Michigan owned), Panera, Au Bon Pain [[heh) and a couple other similar businesses and make it a race to see which company is willing to take a risk on the city, fill a need and win our hearts and loyalty. It's sad these things even have to exist, like we're a developing country and not even on their radar.

What about the fact that most small business owners offer no benefits, low wages, and the owner reaps all the rewards. People can hype up small business' all they want but they royally screw their employees. I always tell people if you get a job, find a big corporation or the government, small business will pay you dirt wages while the owner pockets everything and lives in a 4k sq ft house in Troy.
    Why shouldn't the owner pocket the profits? Is he or she supposed to give the profits away to somebody out of a love for humanity or something?

..how are the urban-based starbucks and tim horton's faring?

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I think a better suggestion would be to start a "we need a healthy soup/sandwich place" rather than to lobby one particular chain. Tag Grand Traverse Pie [[a chain I tried in the Lansing area, pretty good and I assume Michigan owned), Panera, Au Bon Pain [[heh) and a couple other similar businesses and make it a race to see which company is willing to take a risk on the city, fill a need and win our hearts and loyalty. It's sad these things even have to exist, like we're a developing country and not even on their radar.
    Panera / Corner Bakery are chains that compete for customers looking to eat healthy. I think the debate over local vs chain is kind of pointless. Detroit needs business regardless, and these cafes tend to pay their employees quite well.

Is it Coney Islands you object to or the people who own them?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    and these cafes tend to pay their employees quite well.
    only if you consider less than $9/hr being paid "quite well." I work with a Panera trainer at her second job and she makes more off the second job even though it, too, is under $9/hr.

An advantage to a chain is that they have a bit of "staying power" in getting the clientele established and building up the business to profitability. On the flip side, once they see the business is turning into nothing but a money pit, they have no problem bailing out and cutting their losses..

I'd rather see a Mongolian Barbeque somewhere along Monroe St. Aren't they headquartered in MI?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Is it Coney Islands you object to or the people who own them?
    The same quetion popped into my mind when I read that poster's comment.

Your bigotry is showing.

Panera is great. Their tomato basil bread is unbeatable; I buy it by the loaf and just had some, toasted.. Their asiago bread is great too..

Quote Originally Posted by d'oh View Post
    Panera is great. Their tomato basil bread is unbeatable; I buy it by the loaf and just had some, toasted.. Their asiago bread is great too..
    When I want great bread I walk over to Avalon Bakery!!!

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Your bigotry is showing.
    No, its not showing. If you want to continue to eat that deep fried artery clogging shit where you get served behind a bullet proof window, go ahead. The anti-corportate people on this thread are the reason why Detroit is so ass backwards. Bring more locally owned bullet proof coneys!!!

No, its not showing. If you want to continue to eat that deep fried artery clogging shit, go ahead.
    What does artery clogging food have to do with a persons nationality?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast