Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Knock It Off - Celebratory New Year's Eve Gunfire

Holly Cow!

Sounds really bad to the south.

Doesn't sound as bad this year:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/98123312faecb948/
    Last edited by MikeM; January-01-12 at 01:04 AM.

A confused Dutchman say: "Wut??"

I assume they are talking about celebratory gunfire [[a Detroit New Year's tradition).

It was pretty loud here, but it seems to be mostly finished now.

If you are speaking of gun fire [[who can tell)... it was light in my area [[New Center). Or maybe I was sleeping extra hard. LOL! No seriously it was lighter....

Ammo is very expensive now and best saved for when you need it........
    Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Holly Cow!

Sounds really bad to the south.

I couldn't sleep last night. I heard gun shots outside my window. I'm just glad that it wasn't on my street.

Slept like a baby in the Villages. A few shots were heard from the north right at midnight, then no more.

Anybody hit by falling enthusiasm?

Or should I say falling stupidity?

We were up until four on the near-east side...gunfire was heavy for only fifteen or twenty minutes around midnight.

Haven't gone outside to look for any holes in the cars or house, although I suspect roof damage would be tough to spot in shingles.

Most of it was north of Mack, we're a few blocks south...but we had a few bozos shootin' off VERY nearby...enough for my darlin' to inquire if we should return fire.

I'm not wasting any of my lead...
    Last edited by Gannon; January-01-12 at 12:22 PM.

The only time I ever did it, they went down into the ground. And we made sure there weren't any gas or water lines in the target area.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The only time I ever did it, they went down into the ground. And we made sure there weren't any gas or water lines in the target area.
    Good to play it safe, but just so you know your water lines were totally in the clear. Most bullets will only penetrate a few inches into compacted soil [[Even at point blank range).

Didn't hear any gunfire at all downtown. Although, it could have been masked by the fireworks going off across the river.

Was it like this?

Now that fireworks are legal in the state I wonder if that will reduce the amount of gunfire next year?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...384/1409/rss36

Using the M1/Baseline flyover bridge for reference; the majority of gunfire was coming from the southeast, south and southwest. I heard more than a few big explosions, AK fire and larger caliber rounds. It was so bad that my pooch was getting a little "alertie" and wondering what was going on.

The reason I brought this up was a little "heads up" but also to point out that it was a lot worse than in recent years. A few years ago there was hardly a burst.

Any ways; I haven't seen any reports of anyone getting hit [[or other affects from it) so thankfully nothing horrible happened.

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    The reason I brought this up was a little "heads up" but also to point out that it was a lot worse than in recent years. A few years ago there was hardly a burst.
    My recording above was from the far east side near St John's Hospital, facing southwest. To me it seemed somewhat lighter than years past; hardly any automatic gunfire - at least not large magazines -and few large explosions. Maybe it's the economy; either people have moved away or they can't afford the ammo anymore.

The city should have a fireworks display to bring in the New Year.

I was at a friend's house in Westland and the amount of gunfire I heard was absurd. It went on for quite some time. I don't get it and never will. No reason whatsoever for that in my opinion. Completely baffles me.

Living in a 55+ community in suburban Las Vegas, I heard nothing last night but far off sounds of the fireworks on the Strip. That's amusing, because all the old timers I live with up here on Black Mountain are are armed to the teeth! LOL

9mile&seneca Guest

How many murders up on Black Mountain this year Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    How many murders up on Black Mountain this year Ray?
    None this year. And none in 2011, either, although there were a few in the valley down below. Big thing up here is coyotes snatching house pets.

Default New Year's gunfire

I'm from Westland, but I was in Inkster at midnight; I went out on the porch, saw tracer bullets flying at a low angle over the host's house and ran back inside. I've never seen tracers except in war movies.
    Last edited by psubliminal; January-02-12 at 10:18 PM.