Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default High School Yearbooks

Long-time admirer of this site, which is just the best in the city! I picked up a few 1970s high school yearbooks at a garage sale a couple weeks ago - from a closed high school in Detroit named St. Francis de Sales and also from St. Mary's of Redford. I find the books to be incredibly fascinating, particularly the St. Francis de Sales 1970 yearbook, which was built around the lyrics of "Aquarius" from "Hair." The hairdos and fashions are priceless, and I even enjoy looking at the sponsor ads, with businesses that are no longer around. My co-workers don't understand my obsession with these!

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of where I might be able to find a 1979-1980 yearbook from St. Ladislaus in Hamtramck? This was my old high school, which closed in 1982, the year before I graduated. The '79-'80 yearbook is from my freshman year, and it's the only one I don't have. Any ideas? Thanks!

Try King Books on Lafaytte and Sixth.

Caldwell, Ya'll found the right source for info. Good luck in your search.

You can also try Ebay. They had a St. Mary of Redford
    yearbook on not long ago although it was a bit steep in price.

Thanks DetroitPlanner! I'll give King Books a try!

Sludgedaddy Guest

The 1967 De La Salle Colliegiate yearbook is a classic ! When word was spread throughout the school as to when class room group photos or photos from various activities were to occur the "In" thing was to clandestinely give "the Finger".

Placing "the Bird" on the shoulder of the guy in front of you was a way of displaying teen spirit. Self crotch grabbing was also a method of self expression.

When most of the perpetrators were found out, they were sentenced to a summer's worth of free work around the school or face expulsion. Which led up to our class motto for the Class of 1969: "La Salle Sucks, Let's Fuck."

Gee, De La Salle is an all boy's school right!!

Sludgedaddy Guest

True Dat, Daddeeo. No doubt some alumni went on to join the Gay Liberation Guerrillas, but many young ladies from various other schools were attracted to the dashing straight lads of my Alma Mater. Our class motto would be an invitition to those of any sexual persuasion, though, perfectly in tune with those of the "swinging '60's" generation.

I found mine by chance at a local library. They were selling duplicates to thin out the stacks. I bought it for only two bucks in mint condition!

Quote Originally Posted by CaldwellKid View Post
    ...and also from St. Mary's of Redford.
    Also a closed Detroit high school [[if you didn't already know that - it's not in Redford, like many people always end up thinking). Just out of curiousity, what year is the St. Marys one? Six from our family, including me, went to St. Marys in the 60s and 70s.

For those of you who may belong to Ancestry.com [[a pay web site), many high school yearbooks have been digitized and are on line. I found my Uncle's book and photo from Mackenzie, '38 on it.

SMRJim:
    The St. Mary's yearbook I picked up is from 1972.