Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "D" drop in Campus Martius on New Year's Eve

i saw where there were tickets sold for this at $85 going up to $100 the longer one waited to get them...

i assume thats only for the 'party' thats going on down there. will any of us cheap bastards fromt he subs [[well from 65mi away) be able to see the D drop at midnight?

my family is staying at the holiday inn express on washington and its all of 3 blocks to walk there after the Red Wings game and other festivities...

any input you might have would be great

thanks and Happy New Year...

lilpup Guest

kinda thinking it would be better symbolism if the D were rising, not dropping

I read about this also. Apparently they claim 5000 people showed up last year. This is the second year they are having the event. According to their website http://www.motorcitynye.com/
    It's free if you want to hang out outside and watch it drop.
    -DVD

Yeah, it's totally free to watch, just come to Campus Martius Park around 11 or so. I took a big group of my friends over there just before midnight last year and it was pretty packed. A very neat Detroit tradition was born! And, there were no gunshots, just cheers, handshakes, hugs and kisses.

Thanks!

i figured it would be pretty difficult to keep all of the non-paying population from the area...

Would the meters run until 10pm tonight? I would like to get down there early around 8pm.

I would like to go, but too many drunks driving on the road. Too bad that driving is the only way to get around the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisfortheheart View Post
    i would like to go, but too many drunks driving on the road. Too bad that driving is the only way to get around the metro area.

ikr............

Did anyone go to the D drop last night? How was it? Was the crowd much bigger than last year?

I saw on the news that it was a success!!!!!! Good news indeed! I too did not want to deal with the drunks on the road leaving the event so I stayed home. Had a close call with an inebriated driver just this week - them weaving in an out of lane on the freeway, going too slow... crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    I would like to go, but too many drunks driving on the road. Too bad that driving is the only way to get around the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Did anyone go to the D drop last night? How was it? Was the crowd much bigger than last year?
    i wasnt at last years but last night was pretty good. the sound system got all staticy at one point but it was neat to be a part of. it could be MUCH MORE than it was but i didnt have any concerns about driving because we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on washington and michigan [[next door) to the Book Westin...

would do it again next year if i was able to stay downtown. it was a good time...

Name:  2011-12-31_23-58-45_115 [[2).jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  26.0 KBName:  2011-12-31_23-58-37_535 [[2).jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  25.1 KB

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    kinda thinking it would be better symbolism if the D were rising, not dropping
    What exactly would be the symbolism behind a rising "D"?
    Last edited by Occurrence; January-02-12 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    What exactly would be the symbolism behind a rising "D"?

Love the idea and event; I cringe a little because "drop the "D" is used as a term to go #2 in the potty, so ... considering what's been going on lately I thought that the usual suspects would be using this as an illustration for what is really going on in the City.

Love to see this continue; it's what is right about this place.

Why didn't they think of dropping the M? I mean, it's still Motown isn't it?

Last edited by BrushStart; January-02-12 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks for the Video post BrushStart! Looks like it was a nice crowd. Last time I was downtown at Midnight on New Year's Eve, I was at The Millennium Bell in Grand Circus Park & was the only person there? Remember, they said that was gonna be the ring in The New Year spot for Detroit... How soon we forget...

I liked the impromptu fireworks! Were those official? would be great if they could shoot them off the top of compuware over the crowd! Liability-schmiability!

Attachment 11695Attachment 11696Attachment 11697Attachment 11698

Yes indeed it was a nice event, i DEF look forward to next years event. This time i'll have to make sure I am better prepared to shoot it...but here are a few pictures out of the couple hundred that i did take. Hope every one enjoys!

DS, how was the music? I think that's Dezi from DTM in one of your shots..

I’m just curious, did they have anything for the kids? I live in Raleigh and they have a big thing downtown here and very family friendly. They have a New Years count down at 7pm for the kids. Then the kids leave and all the adult drunks enter!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    DS, how was the music? I think that's Dezi from DTM in one of your shots..

Oh man the music was on point. it was a very eclectiv mix of old school [[90s) hip hop & r&b, along with some pop music and a little rock from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by DinNC View Post
    I’m just curious, did they have anything for the kids? I live in Raleigh and they have a big thing downtown here and very family friendly. They have a New Years count down at 7pm for the kids. Then the kids leave and all the adult drunks enter!

yes since the ice rink is right there in Campus Martius there were kids all over the place. Ages ranging from young kids and tweens with their parent to teens and adults all enjoying the festivities. To me it was almost like Rockefeller Center, with just a fraction of the crowd but just as festive. I believe that with each successive year it will only get bigger and better....
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; January-03-12 at 04:01 PM.