Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit to be featured in an upcoming custom track for Mario Kart Wii

This says it all:
    http://www.mariokartwii.com/f72/my-c...ead-87166.html

It will be created by me and set in 1961.

are you serious?? that is AWESOME. What music soundtrack are you going to put in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    are you serious?? that is AWESOME. What music soundtrack are you going to put in the background?
    The first Motown song ever, "Money [[That's What I Want)."

Progressing on the track, here's a photo. All roads and buildings are complete. The roads, from foreground to background, are Grand Boulevard, Warren Avenue, Vernor Highway and Jefferson Avenue. The two roads running the north-south length of the course are Woodward Avenue [[left) and the Lodge [[right).

Last edited by mtburb; December-30-11 at 06:04 PM.

Double-posting, but I have added quite a few textures now. This is looking south from Grand Boulevard on Woodward Avenue.

Name:  sixtiesdetroitpreview2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  39.8 KB

This is awesome. Modeling the city can be tough. A couple years ago me and a team of coworkers modeled 3 square miles of Detroit including downtown in sketchup and 3d max for a project. It took months. And some O/T. Creating the interchanges was time consuming with all the slopes and curves. Downtown was custom modeled but for houses we created 100 unique housing types and arrayed them wherever a house existed. I always imagined it being part of a video game. It's cool you can actually do that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    This is awesome. Modeling the city can be tough. A couple years ago me and a team of coworkers modeled 3 square miles of Detroit including downtown in sketchup and 3d max for a project. It took months. And some O/T. Creating the interchanges was time consuming with all the slopes and curves. Downtown was custom modeled but for houses we created 100 unique housing types and arrayed them wherever a house existed. I always imagined it being part of a video game. It's cool you can actually do that.
    This version is not set today and is not to scale. It goes straight, heading north to south, from Grand Boulevard to Warren Avenue, Vernor Highway, Congress Street, Larned Street and Jefferson Avenue. And since it is set in 1961, what is today 1 Woodward is depicted in construction mode, also the "GENERAL MOTORS" signs are included on Cadillac Place.

Two more views of the track, from the air and from the south.

Name:  trackviewtop.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  trackviewnorth.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  14.8 KB

This playlist has some music you might be interested in, it is more 1980s than 60s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGWgf...eature=mh_lolz

I remember getting excited for Midnight Club 3 [[I think) that had the streets of Detroit to drive on but unlike GTA or something a little more realistic it was a track with some landmarks. This looks pretty cool, those are going to be some tough turns!

Does this work with the current Mario Kart for Wii?

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Does this work with the current Mario Kart for Wii?
    Of course.

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

New article at the Custom Mario Kart Wiiki: http://wiki.tockdom.de/index.php?title=Sixties_Detroit