Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CalvinJam Guest

Default The Necessary Conversation Between White People and Black People

THE TOPIC: The topic will be:

The Necessary Conversation Between White People and Black People:
    The Subject of Racial Tension, Privilege, Race and Inequality In the United States

WHEN:

Friday, December 30, 2011
    at 9 PM eastern / 8 PM central

WHO: The Son of Man & Pastor Thomas Robb

Pastor Thomas Robb, the national director of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and a pastor at the Christian Revival Center . In 1986, Robb organized a protest against the Martin Luther King National Holiday in Pulaski, Tennessee, which is the birthplace of the Ku Klux Klan. The event eventually became known as the White Christian Heritage Festival, held each October in Pulaski. Over the years Robb has developed a close relationship with other extremists including, J.B. Stoner, Ed Fields, Don Black, David Duke, Willis Carto, Billy Roper, Michael Collins Piper, Canadian extremist Paul Fromm and former Croatian diplomat Tomislav Sunic. For his full bio, click here.

The Son of Man, the leader and teacher of the New Nation of Islam. In 1973, the Son of Man visited Muhammad’s Temple where he heard and accepted the teachings of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. The Son of Man began teaching and building the New Nation of Islam in 1975, and he began building on the foundation established by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad for a new nation. The Son of Man is teaching his people to awake to the understanding of righteousness, to come together as a new black nation, and to do for self. For his full bio, click here.

HOW YOU CAN LISTEN:

You will be able to hear the discussion in it's entirety over your telephone.

To listen to this debate, simply call into this teleconference call to listen:
    [[712) 432-0075
    When prompted, enter access code 912932#
    [[please note that there are NO EXTRA CHARGES for the teleconference call. It's just a regular long-distance call.)

Please pass this message along. Thank you.

*** PLEASE NOTE:
    This discussion will also be broadcast over the TELEVISION and RADIO in Detroit, Michigan. Simply tune into WHPR 88.1 FM radio, or turn your channel to UHF TV 33.

For more info, call [[601) 870-2744

What is the true religion of God? It's time for the Truth.

Wow. Could we possibly get any more extreme than the KKK and the Nation of Islam? I'd like to be wrong, but I can't see anything positive coming from this discussion.

How about a white person who left the city for the suburbs in 1975. A black person who left the city for the suburbs in 2000. How about blacks that migrated to Metro Detroit from California and Baltimore long after the decline of the auto industry. How about upper-middle class whites moving back into the city. How about hispanics and asians who immigrated here in the 90s. How about college students from the suburbs who have chosen to attend Wayne and live in the city. How about black graduates from Cass and Renaissance who've gotten advanced degrees and moved to Birmingham. How about white police officers who moved out when the residential requirements changed?

That sounds like a more interesting discussion to me.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; December-30-11 at 03:36 PM.

...sounds more like a potential religious firestorm of hatred instead.

My sense is that most folks, regardless of skin complexion or ethnic heritage, tend to be more alike than different, and have the same hopes and fears.

I don't think the Nation of Islam can add much to advancing race relations [[though NOI has done some good within the AA community), and KKK is obviously the lowest of the low.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    My sense is that most folks, regardless of skin complexion or ethnic heritage, tend to be more alike than different, and have the same hopes and fears.
    The problem is that with all these similarities, the one thing they don't always have is a similarity of experiences. And I think there is value in having peoples from varying experiences share their stories to promote further understanding, which leads to trust and then to cooperation.

The KK/NOI idea sounds like the opposite of that.

How about we please stop talking about race? The more we talk about it, the more we emphasize such a stupid demarcation line. The "diversity" crowd would have me look at a black person, or a Mexican, and take his or her ethnicity -- and all the sensitivities and cultural idiosyncrasies that go with it -- into consideration.

In other words, according to the diversity crowd, when I come across a black person, I should take into account his blackness, and act accordingly.

But when I come across a black person, I'd just as soon deal with him as a person, not a black person.

In other words: There is no racial conversation that's necessary, other than, "how's it going?" Shut the fuck about about it, already.

This type of conversation, if anything, shouldn't be between two radical factions that represent a very low amount of the population. The KKK doesn't speak for me any more or less than the Nation does.

I just don't get why this should even be taken seriously. Sounds like bunch of hucksters looking for something; what I don't know.

Ravine Guest

Let's not get into this one too far, here. Judging by the initial set of responses, the crowd here is probably at least 2&1/2 steps ahead of the divisive atmosphere that I would expect, as a result, from the pointy hood meets bow-tie discussion.
    In my view, the point made-- about "diversity"-- by dookie joe landed squarely in the absolute center of a target, and corktownyuppie echoes my initial, and immediate, reaction when I saw who would be [[seemingly) representing who

Recently, I have been rather disgusted by a certain up-swing in ignorance, and general mean-spiritedness, within this forum. The initial responses, here, have alleviated some of that sourness..

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    How about we please stop talking about race? The more we talk about it, the more we emphasize such a stupid demarcation line. The "diversity" crowd would have me look at a black person, or a Mexican, and take his or her ethnicity -- and all the sensitivities and cultural idiosyncrasies that go with it -- into consideration.

In other words, according to the diversity crowd, when I come across a black person, I should take into account his blackness, and act accordingly.

But when I come across a black person, I'd just as soon deal with him as a person, not a black person.

In other words: There is no racial conversation that's necessary, other than, "how's it going?" Shut the fuck about about it, already.
    Absolutely. Great points.

lilpup Guest

On the other hand I don't think either of the two participants would be accused of couching their sentiments or covertly harboring attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Let's not get into this one too far, here. Judging by the initial set of responses, the crowd here is probably at least 2&1/2 steps ahead of the divisive atmosphere that I would expect, as a result, from the pointy hood meets bow-tie discussion.
    In my view, the point made-- about "diversity"-- by dookie joe landed squarely in the absolute center of a target, and corktownyuppie echoes my initial, and immediate, reaction when I saw who would be [[seemingly) representing who

Recently, I have been rather disgusted by a certain up-swing in ignorance, and general mean-spiritedness, within this forum. The initial responses, here, have alleviated some of that sourness..
    And yet, when confronted with a GLBT person of either color, both groups feel perfectly happy to discriminate against said person. Go figure...

you've gotta be kidding me. This sounds like one big ignorance-fest being broadcast to the masses. Neither group even remotely represents either side. A waste of time, money, resources, and words... This is just a breeding ground for hate speech and way to stoke the flames of hatred unnecessarily. Sad, sad day in America when we give these two idiots a national stage.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    And yet, when confronted with a GLBT person of either color, both groups feel perfectly happy to discriminate against said person. Go figure...
    and this is exactly the type of sweeping generalization that creates and perpetuates conflict

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    and this is exactly the type of sweeping generalization that creates and perpetuates conflict
    Really? How so? Tell me how this isn't true? Enlighten me as to the theology of the Muslim religion being tolerant to the GLBT community. And while you are at it, run down how welcoming your standard Southern Baptist fundamentalist is as well.
    Last edited by townonenorth; December-30-11 at 03:28 PM.

lilpup Guest

think seriously about my response and re-examine your own - your bigotries are showing

What exactly makes this conversation necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    think seriously about my response and re-examine your own - your bigotries are showing
    Honestly, is that all you ever do is utter banalaties? Think seriously about my question, and consider your bigoted response. BTW, here's a secret... I'm pro GLBT. How am I bigoted?

Wow, I can understand whites and blacks wanting to talk about their differences that they may have, but this doesn't sound very smart.

Where is this taking place; in the hood, or under the hood?

This would make an interesting reality TV show, but I can't see it accomplishing anything beyond that.

Who's the moderator? Jerry Springer?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Who's the moderator? Jerry Springer?
    Mitt Romney.
    He never knows what fucking side, of anything, he's on, anyway, so he sat in just for the sake of breaking up clinches and taking away points for rabbit-punching.
    Although, he's OK with hunting rabbits, of course. Don't wanna alienate the NRA until after he's visited the states wherein they have a stronghold.
    Oh, sorry; what were we discussing?

No, "according to the diversity crowd" you should not act differently but understand that the other person might have different viewpoints based on different life experiences.

Unfortunately, when the extremists go to battle, many others get caught in the crossfire. There is a large group of people who would be happy to live together in peace. Is there a way for the tolerant, peaceful people to defend themselves from the extremists? Or at least push them off into the fringes so they don't create fear and conflict among people that otherwise would be happy to live together in peace? We have been divided for too long by clergy and politicians who gain power by preaching and creating an enemy out of other people because of their race.

I thought we all wanted the same thing - love, understanding, respect. Religion has a way of dividing that up. What is it about God that divides people? I thought he was supposed to be a uniter of people? Guess I was wrong. No wonder I'm an athiest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast