Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Golfing in Detroit

I'm semi new to golf. I used to golf a little as a teenager then stopped but I still would watch golf on tv and follow the PGA. Now I'm 32 and am getting into it again and I know nothing about golfing in the city of Detroit. What courses are decent and which ones [[if any) are not. I'm talking only in the city limits. I live in the burbs and want to enjoy some Detroit courses. My guess is that most if not all of them are older and have some lengthy history.

Palmer Park, Chandler Park, Belle Isle Park, Rouge Park, Rogell Golf Club.

Thanks for the courses. I don't think Belle Isle Parks course is open anymore though. I recall seeing a 'ruins' website with that course listed on it with some pictures. I'll google it.

"A good walk spoiled." -- Mark Twain

I just checked out some info on the course and the city hopes to open it again someday. Hopefully that's sooner than later.

The courses that midtownms listed are nice The Metropark Golf Courses aren't too bad. Willow, Lake Erie, Wolcott Mill to name a few.

Rouge is a nice course. Belle Isle may still have a few holes operating, but I seem to remember that it is not a full-flegded 9 hole course anymore. It was never a really good course to begin with.

The Belle Isle golf course has been closed for at least 8 years. The Belle Isle Golf Practice facility which opened maybe 10 years ago has 4 pitch and putt holes in addition to its other practice amenities.

Rouge, Palmer Park and Chandler Park golf courses are still operating and are managed by a private golf management company. Had the privatization not occurred, all of these courses would have been closed by now. Instead, they continue on as nice bargain examples of muni golf.

If the OP is looking to play a championship level course in the city, he/she will have to apply for membership at the Detroit Golf Club.

I used to live across the street from Rogell and remember it being OK. I never golfed there, but I did sell lemonade and balls to the golfers.

I looked it up a few weeks ago and it looks like a church owns it now. Not sure if any renovations have been made, but probably worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Palmer Park, Chandler Park, Belle Isle Park, Rouge Park, Rogell Golf Club.
    Don't forget about Rackham, it's been a Detroit public course for the last 45 years I've been playing it [[even though it's located in Huntington Woods)

Always liked Rouge. Not a long course, only moderately difficult, but has it's challenges and has a unique layout. Number 11 is one of the tougher holes around. Number 1 also if they have the tees back. The course is in very good shape these days, compared to years ago before it was taken over by American Golf. Rogell was a decent course, haven't played there in many years. Whispering Willows is a decent course, by 8 and Newburgh.

bartock Guest

The pitch and putt on Belle Isle is a lot of fun.

Otherwise, in Metro Detroit I've always thought that Royal Oak's Municipal Course [[both, actually - Normandie Oaks included) is a good course for practicing.

Palmer Park - Marvin Gaye golfed there as it was close to his house on Outer Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The Belle Isle golf course has been closed for at least 8 years. The Belle Isle Golf Practice facility which opened maybe 10 years ago has 4 pitch and putt holes in addition to its other practice amenities.

Rouge, Palmer Park and Chandler Park golf courses are still operating and are managed by a private golf management company. Had the privatization not occurred, all of these courses would have been closed by now. Instead, they continue on as nice bargain examples of muni golf.

If the OP is looking to play a championship level course in the city, he/she will have to apply for membership at the Detroit Golf Club.
    No, I'm just looking for a decent place. I like doing things in the city when I get a chance and I just wanted to know what/where was a decent place. I'm not even good, it's just all for fun.