Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Downtown Panhandlers.

There seems to be an insurgence of aggresive panhandlers downtown. Most of them asked for money for so they could get something to eat. Some of them had said that they had just gotten out of jail and need money to catch the Schaeffer or Dexter bus. Is there a food bank downtown that help the homeless? I had noticed take out boxes laying on the streets with food still in them. I wonder if bleeding hearts [[such as I sometimes) are buying the panhandlers meals and the beggers are throwing the meals to the side.

St. Al's used to have one, but the building's been sold.

With more and more people working downtown it's becoming more lucrative to go after foot traffic.

I never give money to pan-handlers. I'd rather donate to a charity that's guaranteed to fulfill hungers, not addictions.

Ravine Guest

While there are several possible explanations for the take-out boxes, I can tell you that some folks will deliberately leave uneaten portions set out, sometimes atop something like a trash container or mailbox, with the idea of a homeless person finding the food and taking it.
    There are many homeless people around the Metro-Detroit area. It is well past time to stop assuming that they are all slavering addicts and ne'er-do-wells who think of nothing beyond their next drink or fix.
    I'm not saying that one should be a sucker or easy mark, or pass out money to whoever shuffles up to them, I'm just saying that sometimes the person asking for a little help so they can get something to eat is asking for a little help so they can get something to eat because they are hungry.
    Last edited by Ravine; December-29-11 at 12:01 AM.

I think we need to distinguish between the homeless and the panhandlers.

Certainly, most homeless aren't panhandling, and I wouldn't be surprised if most panhandlers weren't homeless. At the very least, many panhandlers aren't homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think we need to distinguish between the homeless and the panhandlers.

Certainly, most homeless aren't panhandling, and I wouldn't be surprised if most panhandlers weren't homeless. At the very least, many panhandlers aren't homeless.
    That is a good point. There are panhandlers at the Eastern Market. I don't give to them there especially for some of those busineses would hire them to lift crates of vegetables or other items for a couple of bucks. There are many young men out here asking for change. Charles Pugh had once said that the ones in Greektown were harmless. They are to him for he has bodyguards around him.

Whatever happened to the "quarter" lady?

"Got a quarter?"

That lady is from the old school. I would give an elderly lady change more than I would a young able bodied man.

Yeah, now that he is part of the, um-er 'royal enclosure' I am certain he is NOT trying to hand anyone a quarter!
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    That is a good point. There are panhandlers at the Eastern Market. I don't give to them there especially for some of those busineses would hire them to lift crates of vegetables or other items for a couple of bucks. There are many young men out here asking for change. Charles Pugh had once said that the ones in Greektown were harmless. They are to him for he has bodyguards around him.

As a rule I don't pause to open my purse to give anyone money. Sadly, that can be a set up. One in while I will do for a older woman but not usually. I had a crack-head female try to gank me for a ride at a gas station, nearly jumping into my car demanding I take her who knows where! LOL! Thankfully she was harmless and I just slammed the door and she went on her way.
    That lady is from the old school. I would give an elderly lady change more than I would a young able bodied man.

as the winter weather gets more intense, and this city financial crisis continues, what about the city warming centers...? [[also had there been plans to convert shuttered schools to homeless shelters/assistance centers)..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    as the winter weather gets more intense, and this city financial crisis continues, what about the city warming centers...? [[also had there been plans to convert shuttered schools to homeless shelters/assistance centers)..
    Perhaps they could also use some of those libraries they are getting ready to close.

I was down in Greektown the day of the Little Caesars Bowl and there was a guy asking for money for food as I was walking into Pegasus, I initially ignored him, but as we were leaving we had some leftovers. We had a whole untouched chicken kebob, so I got it in a carry out and I put a couple slices of bread in the box to give to the guy. He was still out there asking for money with the same line so I gave him the box and he looked at me and said that he only wants money. Learned my lesson.

Yeah, good times. Which is why don't open my purse only to have the amount I choose to give debated etc. Too bad it is that way with some pandhandlers. Hard to sift thru the individual pandhandlers relative to how they may respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    We had a whole untouched chicken kebob, so I got it in a carry out and I put a couple slices of bread in the box to give to the guy. He was still out there asking for money with the same line so I gave him the box and he looked at me and said that he only wants money. Learned my lesson.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-11 at 10:34 AM.

What about the guys asking for really specific demoninations, like 17 cents for the bus? I always find that really strange.

Are they really out there looking for 17 cents, or is that some randomly chosen number to prompt the opening of wallets?

I also wonder how they got downtown in the first place. Always need spare change for the bus, but did they first take the bus downtown without thinking how they would fund their return?

I'm probably overthinking what is mostly just begging by folks who have mental or substance abuse issues.

At a gas station a couple of days ago a guy said "I'll pump your gas for $5.00." I said "$5.00 are you crazy." He said "don't you know we're in a recession lady?"

How crazy is that? The justification and bold faced 'entitlement' of his comment... Not atypical. Just another reason to stay away from gas stations that allow customers to be harassed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    At a gas station a couple of days ago a guy said "I'll pump your gas for $5.00." I said "$5.00 are you crazy." He said "don't you know we're in a recession lady?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    How crazy is that? The justification and bold faced 'entitlement' of his comment... Not atypical. Just another reason to stay away from gas stations that allow customers to be harassed!
    Would you kindly tell me where I can find one within the city limits???

Oh I know! I go to the Sunoco up on Woodward and ummm, well near WSU - I-94 by Palmer I think.

A few folks hang out there but not many and it is well lit and clean for the most part. Otherwise I go to gas stations in Dearborn where I work part-time - heading down river where gas is cheaper any how as you get closer to that big refinery downriver where most stations get their gas from.

The further out you go [[north especially) the high gas gets.
    Would you kindly tell me where I can find one within the city limits???

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Whatever happened to the "quarter" lady?

"Got a quarter?"

Slightly beofre she disappeared I saw her asking for dollars! Later in the day I had stopped for a dog at the American and I kid you not, she was in there counting up hundreds of dollars. At the very next table was Pete Karmanos, talks bout a study in contrast.

I finally had enough of that old lady when I saw her feeding birds cheetoes in the middle of the sidewalk during lunchtime. She was blocking the sidewalk, spending money on cheetoes for air-rats!

MidtownMs is right. There are men who will come up to your pump and grab it or try to and pump your gas and asking or demanding of money. This is an on going occurence in Detroit. It had happened to my friends as well. These gas staiton attendence in the city don't care about who hang around their station. I would say that everyone should circle the gas station first to see if anyone is hanging around it or at the bus stop in front of it. Keep going if you notice anyone around who is not pumping gas in their own cars. Try not to run below half tank. Go to the suburbs for you gas if possible. Pump in the daytime and not the evening. Don't listen to a person such as Zach who thinks that MidtownMs is making it up. This happens at many stations

Number of pan handlers has reduced from what it was ten years ago.

Back in the day, you had pan-handlers who did not ask for money....they took it.

It was worse years ago.

Now it is tolerable.

I'f he was on his game he probably would have mentioned the adjustment for inflation.

Years ago I knew a couple of guys that would panhandle in the late fall until they made enough money to go to Hawaii. After a few months there, they'd try to get picked up for vagrancy or something small. After a few days in jail the police would put them on a plane for the mainland just to get rid of them.

Don't listen to a person such as Zach who thinks that MidtownMs is making it up. This happens at many stations
    You read Zacha's comment wrong. She was actually agreeing with MidtownMs, as all of her other comments show.

Oh I know! I go to the Sunoco up on Woodward and ummm, well near WSU - I-94 by Palmer I think.

A few folks hang out there but not many and it is well lit and clean for the most part. Otherwise I go to gas stations in Dearborn where I work part-time - heading down river where gas is cheaper any how as you get closer to that big refinery downriver where most stations get their gas from.

The further out you go [[north especially) the high gas gets.
    Exactly. In lots of parts of the city, if you're not getting panhandled at gas stations, dudes will harass you there. I'm not frightened of this behavior, but it's time consuming and [[especially the harassment) annoying. So I either get my gas at the station in Midtown where all the cops hang out, or I have to wait until I go visit my family or run errands in the 'burbs. It's a shame, but it is what it is. And it will continue as long as people hand out money [[and desperate women hand out other things).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast